D&D 4E Not going to 4e

ok heres a thread just to see who else here has no plans to go on to 4e . not looking for any flames , anti-4e or down with 4e stuff. just wanting to see who else besides myself really has no intrest in 4e .

Last edited:

Vegepygmy

First Post
Based on what I've heard so far, I really have no interest in 4e.

I'll check it out when it arrives because the rest of my gaming circle is going to do so, and if it turns out to be okay (or better than okay), I'll embrace it. But my gut tells me it's not going to be my cup of tea.

Prime_Evil

Adventurer
I will be sticking with 3.5 for the time being until the dust settles a bit. I'm not virulently anti-4e, but I don't really see any compelling reason to upgrade at this point.

When 3e came out, there was a broad consensus that it was time for a new edition. 2e was increasingly broken due to the proliferation of seriously unbalanced kits. Although 3.5 has its fair share of problems, I just don't see the same kind of consensus that it's time for a new edition emerging at the moment.

Frankly, I'm fairly ambivalent about most of the information released about 4e so far. I do like some of the mechanical changes that are being promised, but I dislike others. I can probably house rule those things that I don't like, I don't see why I should go to the trouble of customizing the game to my own taste unless there is going to be a decent payoff.

At the moment, most of my concerns about the direction that 4e is heading in are more about the fluff than the crunch. I am alarmed at some of the radical changes to the D&D cosmology that have been announced. And I am even more alarmed at the radical changes to the standard lineup of races. These things make it very hard to migrate an existing 3.5 campaign to 4e. Furthermore, IMHO the function of the core rulebooks should be to provide the tools for to run a generic 'Gygaxian' fantasy setting. By all means, add exotic options in later supplements for those peole who want them. But retain the classic 'feel' of D&D in the core rules.

To be quite honest, perhaps the biggest barrier for me is the size of my existing investment in 3.5. I'm very disappointed that there is to be no backward compatibility between editions. 4e will really need to rock my world before I rush out and buy all of the same material all over again, and at the moment I am not convinced that it will.

Last edited:

Prime_Evil

Adventurer
JRRNeiklot said:
I'm interested, in a gawker at a train wreck sense, at least.

Given that the market for traditional pen-and-paper RPGs has been shrinking rapidly for the past few years, I don't think that the hobby as a whole can afford a major new edition of its flagship brand to turn into a train wreck. I sincerely hope that WotC can pull a rabbit out of their hat with this one, but I'm not brimming with confidence.

Frukathka said:
I have no plans to DM 4E, however I will play it if no other option is available.
I have no plans to DM anything (apart from what I already am DMing), but I will play anything whenever the option is available.

Prime_Evil said:
I will be sticking with 3.5 for the time being until the dust settles a bit. I'm not virulently anti-4e, but I don't really see any compelling reason to upgrade at this point.
There is no compelling reason to upgrade, and there won't be until the books are published.

Personally, I am going to wait until the SRD is published before making a decision. I still can't quite believe there will be a decent one published in a timely fashion, and I love having the SRD to refer to and print.

Remove ads