D&D 4E Not going to 4e

Agamon

Adventurer
adndgamer said:
Okay, but I just looked at this page:

http://dnd4.com/?page_id=33

And some of the changes are pretty bizarre if true:

I'm no F4nboi, but I can help explain some of these.

adndgamer said:
Magic will be more prevalent to all classes.

-Magic power sources will be either arcane, divine, or martial. (I don't understand

Not sure I understand this either. I don't think the marial abilities are magic, per se. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

adndgamer said:
-Dragonborn and Tiefling are normal races? Granted -- some OD&D add-ons (Arduin Grimoires) had some crazy races too.

Different strokes. In 3E, these races were available in the FRCS a couple months after launch. Not a big deal to me.

adndgamer said:
-All classes will have some ability to heal themselves by some means. (WHY? Is there some logic behind this?)

'Heal' is not quite the right term. 'Second wind' is more appropriate.

adndgamer said:
-For wizards, spell failure due to armor is gone.

No proficiency, though. Not all wizards will wear armor. But the more martial types will now be able to. Not a bad thing, IMO.

adndgamer said:
-Fighters can get a feat to allow their Dexterity to be added to their AC even while wearing heavy armor.

Not a bad thing, IMO. One of my player's 18th level PCs is wearing +5 padded because his 31 Dex doesn't work very well with much else. Kinda odd, I've never seen anyone wear padded before, I had to wait until we had a campaign get to 18th level.

adndgamer said:
Besides those, I'm intrigued by some things, like how sorcerers & barbarians will work. I probably won't be changing any time soon, or at least not until my gaming group decides to switch over.

Yeah, I'm withholding judgement until I see the finished product. There a few things I'm scratching my head about, too.

I am, all things considered, excited about the new edition and I plan on buying the books and playing the game. However, my excitement would be amplified had they waited another year or so.

I recognize that Wizards/Hasbro is a business. I understand that they're out to make money (that is, afterall, what businesses do). But, I feel that I would be "more ready" had I gotten just a little more time with 3.5.

Now, this said, I've been slipping away from D&D for some time. Mutants and Masterminds, as well as the True20 system, have essentially captured my gaming interest. Over the past couple of years "gaming," to me, has become M&M. It's the system that all of the groups I play in seem to want to play, right now.

So, I can't get too upset about the potential bad-ness of 4e because I've got a home-sytem that isn't going anywhere.

Finally, I would like to see Wizards diversify a little. I'd love to see a whole NEW game with the Wizards logo on it. There are some freaking genius people working for WotC and they could probably come up with some amazing RPGs outside of D&D and SW.

DM_Blake

First Post
Thanks for clarifying. I aplogize about the troll question, but unclarified, it really looked that way to me, though now I see your points.

Brother MacLaren said:
1) Basic/Expert D&D had several design elements that I loved. "Wizards start off weak, but can eventually become very powerful." "Magic has its uses, but magic is limited, where Strength can be used as often as needed." A wizard who starts weak and can run out of spells is a class I'd love to play again. It makes him fundamentally a frail human novice with some abilities that he's just learning to master. The idea that he can run out makes him seem more human. Now, the warlock can never run out... it's a good class, it's a neat concept, and he's suitably creepy/alienish, but it's not how I see a novice wizard.
But another way to look at it is: If I wanted to play a crossbow sniper, I would have picked fighter or rogue or ranger as my class.

I also started playing D&D with Basic edition, so I remember those design elements.

But another consideration is that now, in 4e, every class can "eventually become very powerful". I Kinda like this design idea. Now when we're playing epic level characters (whether you refer to it as "Immortals" from the Immortals Boxed Set, or Epic from 3e, or Paragon from 4e), every character will have as much to contribute as the wizard. All too often in current or previous versions of D&D, very high level gaming broke down to "Fighter hold off the BBM while cleric keeps the fighter alive, and hopefully we can do this long enough for the wizard to solve the problem."

Sure, a good DM can create scenarios that don't play out this way. But sometimes the DM is a little burned out, or just new, or the players tried a different tack and missed the clever setup the DM provided, or whatever, and the game devolves down to a series of wizard saves the day once again, while his PC support group handles the little stuff.

Now 4e is balancing the high-level game somewhat, so why not also balance the low-level game, since "eventually become very powerful" is no longer the result of playing a wizard and sacrificing low-level usefulness?

Brother MacLaren said:
2) In Basic/Expert, you got HP at all levels; saves and attack rolls improved at some levels, not all, and there were no skills. So the complaining over "dead levels where all we get are HP, BAB, saves, and skills" sounds like whining to me. Also, in 3E, plotting out your character build became much more a component of the game than it had before. Focusing more attention on what abilities you get at each level is, I think, contributing to this trend. I just don't see "Dead levels" as a valid complaint. The game should, in my mind, be about cool stories and about clever tactics to overcome challenges, not about flashy abilities and character builds.
You're going to have cool stories and clever tactics anyway, assuming the DM and players are capable/skilled enough to provide this.

You're also going to have some flashy abilities and character builds. You had them in Basic/Expert too, though the variations were not as multitudinous.

But, now in 3e you can very easily have a group where some characters have flashy abilities/builds, and other characters don't. It can lead to players having character envy when their character is fairly bland and the guy sitting next to them at the table has lots of flash.

This can happen on a level-by-level basis, too. "Oooh, I just got this cool new ability to do xxx. What did you get?" It's never fun to answer with "Jost some more HP."

Yes, I agree, it does sound like whining to me, too. But if people are whining about it, then they're obviously not having as much fun as they want to have, so is it really so bad to make it more fun for everyone? Is justifying dead levels on the basis that we had them in Basic/Expert editions really the best answer?
Brother MacLaren said:
3) Every alignment and every god ALREADY has a holy warrior. It's called the cleric. Paladins were representative of two things: first, an attempt to model a certain heroic archetype such as your Galahads; and second, an idea that the forces of evil were numerous and the forces of good were less numerous but had an elite champion. The code is what makes the paladin class worth having; otherwise, just use a Ftr/Clr. I'd rather see the class removed than see it corrupted.
So, this is all still true. We still have 4e clerics for all deities. We will still have the Galahad archetype. The forces of Good will still have an elite champion. None of that has changed.

But, now, Evil can have an elite champion too. King Arthur had his paladin-like knights, but there were villains, too, such as Mordred, who now is not stuck with just being a fighter.

I'm not sure why this is a bad thing.
Brother MacLaren said:
4) Playing a support character can be a great deal of fun. It's a team endeavor, not a game to see whose star can shine the brightest. Sometimes the cleric's best action is to get the fighter back on his feet, and the bard's Inspire Courage is often the difference between winning and losing. I have no problem with that. It's a team effort. And some of my favorite moments in games have been sitting back and watching other PCs handle everything. The players are my friends, the characters are my PC's allies, and it happened to be immensely entertaining to watch the bard make his one-man stand against the death knight and liches, or to watch the arcane trickster do some body-hopping infiltration-slaughter on her own. 4E seems to be based on the idea, "If you aren't doing something cool, the game isn't fun."
This last one is the one that thrw me in your post. I thought you were agruing that such roles should not be fun, when you were, in fact, arguing that they are already fun.

Yet, in groups I've played in as well as other groups I've DMed, I've had numerous characters playing bards or clerics or healers or support-oriented mage classes, who at some point, and usually often, state their disappointment with how their character plays out. At tournaments, when pre-generated characters are being handed out, I never really hear anyone say "Yes! I got the cleric!" and if players are given a choice, cleric is almost always the last one picked.

I've seen many groups who meet weekly that don't have a cleric at all, because none of the players in the group want the class.

It strikes me as a rare person that can be consistently happy in such a role.

While 4e seems to be moving toward the paradigm you stated, I don't see how that's a bad thing either. Players like yourself (and like me, actually - most of my characters are clerics of some kind) will still be able to enjoy watching your player friends and PC allies do heroic things, and you'll be able to do heroic things too.

But unfortunately, not all players feel the same way. For many players, being the hero is much more fun than supporting the hero.

Instead of leaving the heroics to some of the group, now everyone will be heroic.

Again, I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

PoeticJustice

First Post
I say ignore 'em. This isn't a thread to justify 4E or convince people to play it. Personally, I think there are other threads already established that make every counterargument (defending 4E).

While they make some excellent points, this is simply not the right thread. This thread is for discussing why certain people will not be changing editions.

Menexenus

First Post
EricNoah said:
I'm not ready now, and I don't think I will be for a long time, if at all. I have so much 3E stuff to explore and use it's silly to even contemplate moving on. And I don't have anyone excited about the prospect in any of my groups.

I also don't think 4E will be ready for me (in terms of solid computer support) for some time after initial release. So I'll definitely want to let WotC shake out the bugs for a bit. I will keep up with 4E news and try to read reviews and so forth out of academic curiosity.

Same here. I've got bookshelves full of 3.x material that I haven't even read yet, let alone played. I also feel slightly bitter that WotC hit the reset button after 8 years. If 2E deserved 10 years, then so did 3.x. Like Eric, I am curious enough to keep watching, but at this time, I have no plans to even purchase 4E.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
DaveMage said:
Welcome back, Darrin. :)

Well, I'm only back in the sense that I'm watching a train wreck in slow motion with much amusement.

There were valid reasons to go from 2nd edition to 3rd edition. Game play actually improved by quite a bit while giving people the options they wanted. 2nd edition just didn't have that flexibility without house ruling the heck out of it; and we all know how house rules go - some are good and others, not so much.

There were valid reasons (which I defended on these boards quite a bit) for going to 3.5; namely fixing some seriously broken spells and abilities, including epic rules, and native support for playing monstrous characters in the core rules. All in all, 3.5 gives players more options than 3.0 while doing quite a bit to improve game play.

Are there still areas for improvement? Absolutely! 3.5 is a monster to prep for unless you're using a pre-generated adventure. 3.5 has a lot of combat actions that are overly complex and should be streamlined.

In fact, my first reaction when I heard about 4.0 was guarded optimism. After all, there are ways to improve the game quite a bit. The problem is that the changes they're talking about seem to be changing so much of the game that it's not just a new edition of the game, it's a radical rebuild from the ground up. Sure, they're entitled to do that if they want, and it will definitely prevent people from using their old 3.x books in 4.0, but it also opens up a brand new can of worms where we'll be dealing with unfamiliar rules, broken and unbalanced mechanics, and flavor changes that seem to make very little sense - at least from the amount of information they've given us so far.

Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting, but based on what I've heard so far, this just doesn't strike me as something that I would want to play and definitely not something I would want to design for.

Now it's very likely that I'll soon become akin to Diaglo, except with 3rd edition. Turn down your music. Get off my lawn! Crazy kids.

Sunderstone

First Post
Passing on 4E, so is my group. It isnt D&D to us, and imho they really need to rename the game to Warlocks & Warlords or something.

We are happy with 3.5 for the most part. Yes, some rules could use streamlining but we kind of got used to it already and it seems to work fine for us. Im thankful for some great stuff from Necromancer and Paizo. My group should be fine for the next decade or so anyway.

Hopefully 5th edition comes fast with a return to what D&D was. WotC seems to have forgotten.

zlorf

First Post
Probably wait for a few months to see what 4th Ed has to offer. Im starting to see some major issues with 3.5 at higher lvls and also with the addition of extra rules from newer books. With a 14th lvl party, most combat comprises of fighters hitting most AC's with low rolls and everyone has 20+ saves via magic or cleric buffs, combat drags on, because of so many attacks, spell effects, calculations. Yes DM can control what what players get, but this isnt the case with this campaign. Limit magic items, a number of feats, a few classes and spells from MIC, tweak a few rules and i think then 3.5 works well up to a certain lvl.

To me 4th edition need to be looked at as a completely different game ...dnd on caffine..prehaps?

It sounds good but how will it play, only time will tell. :)

Cheers
Z

Hunter In Darkness said:
ok heres a thread just to see who else here has no plans to go on to 4e . not looking for any flames , anti-4e or down with 4e stuff. just wanting to see who else besides myself really has no intrest in 4e .

Remove ads