D&D 4E Not going to 4e

Pinotage

Explorer
Whisperfoot said:
Sure, they're entitled to do that if they want, and it will definitely prevent people from using their old 3.x books in 4.0, but it also opens up a brand new can of worms where we'll be dealing with unfamiliar rules, broken and unbalanced mechanics, and flavor changes that seem to make very little sense - at least from the amount of information they've given us so far.

That's a very good point, and one of my main concerns. 3.5e was a vast improvments on 3e. While it didn't fix everything, it made a lot more sense and had a lot less flaws than 3e did. With 4e, they're starting from scratch trying to fix 3.5e, but in the end while they may fix some of the problems with 3.5e, 4e is going to be so different it will have a bucketload of its own problems. It's like reinventing the wheel. Broken, unbalanced stuff is going to be all over 4e, there's no doubt about it. I understand the need for a 4e, but I just don't understand why they have to throw the old system out and bring in something new that's going to have all new problems. Seems like we're just starting all over again with trying to get a good D&D system (though that's not saying what we've got is bad).

Pinotage

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Whisperfoot said:
Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting...

Lots of people have expressed the same thoughts here and elsewhere. While I do believe most D&D players will go 4E, there will be many, many who do not. And I believe the RPG schism brought on by 2E will re-emerge.

Frost

First Post
I will not be switching. Initially, it was simply because I have tons of 3.x material and didn't see a need to switch. I'm knee-deep in a Rappan Athurk Reloaded campaign and switching would be more trouble than it is worth. I don't fault WotC for releasing another edition. They are a business, after all, and need to make cash. To me, getting angry at WotC for putting out another edition is like getting upset at Sony for making the Playstation 3 when the Playstation 2 still works fine.

However, the more I read about 4e, the more I realize I wouldn't switch regardless. To me, the game isn't simply "evolving" as that weird guy in the presentation intro video promised. It's changing pell-mell into another game.

Last edited:

Dristram

First Post
Frost said:
To me, the game isn't simply "evolving" as that weird guy in the presentation intro video promised. It's changing pell-mell into another game.
And one they get to call Dungeons & Dragons. I bet the boys of Kenzer&Co., Troll Lord Games, Mongoose, Green Ronin, and any other game publisher that's created a fantasy RPG wish they could call their's Dungeons & Dragons. Name recognition is king baby! New D&D players raised on 4e will have no idea they're not actually playing the cool D&D game they heard about from the 80's.

Dristram said:
And one they get to call Dungeons & Dragons. I bet the boys of Kenzer&Co., Troll Lord Games, Mongoose, Green Ronin, and any other game publisher that's created a fantasy RPG wish they could call their's Dungeons & Dragons. Name recognition is king baby! New D&D players raised on 4e will have no idea they're not actually playing the cool D&D game they heard about from the 80's.
IMO: New D&D players are a good thing no matter what game or edition they're playing.

ajanders

Explorer
Dristram said:

In fairness, neither do many of the people on this board raised in 3.0 or 3.5.

If you want to play the "cool D&D game you heard about from the 80's" you want to be in OSRIC.
Me, I'm happy with most of 3.5: add in the reserve feats and the tactical feats and I can keep both spellcasters and fighters very happy and doing very cool things.

The Little Raven

First Post
Dristram said:
New D&D players raised on 4e will have no idea they're not actually playing the cool D&D game they heard about from the 80's.

And if they do find that 1980s game, they'll learn to avoid it because of players like you that will insult their taste because it's different. Way to grow the fanbase!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases