D&D 5E Not Much Ado About Bless

Oofta

Legend
If you're a Devotion Paladin, I can see a reason to want more Charisma. The action economy on Sacred Weapon is abominable, but it's a powerful buff once active.
I took vengeance paladin because A) I like misty step B) I had an interesting back story to play off of. So charisma doesn't really buy him all that much and it doesn't really fit the PC. He'd rather smite the wicked than cast hold person. Besides, most combats don't last long enough in this campaign for most spells to be worth more than smiting.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I can see the spells part, but smiting doesn't factor anything about CHA into it, so higher STR (or DEX) would improve the chances of landing a hit and thus allowing you to smite more often as you choose to. 🤷‍♂️

Which is another tweak I would like to see--removing smites and just having smites as spells. THEN perhaps CHA would be more of a factor.

I think another factor is how far you get to play the character. Is CHA 20 obtainable by the time you stop playing the PC? Paladins are such MAD characters, that I just don't see it often. IIRC CHA 16 is the highest I've seen a paladin get in play.
Not just smite as in trade for extra damage but also smite as in the spells with smite in the name that force saves.

Example: Blinding Smite forces a CON save versus the blindness condition, which if failed let's you fish for criticals to double your value of trade for smite dice.

Remove ads