• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Note to WotC: They're not TRPGs. They're just RPGs.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I'm doing "as a body" because what Americans call the hood is called the "bonnet" in the UK, thus suggesting that the front of the car is the head, so extrapolating from that wouldn't the wheels be the equivalent of legs/feet? Still surprised that it's short o in "scone" instead of long.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
More a note on social media discussions I've seen today than this thread, but British vs US dialect differences like it's the late 1990s again! People who don't talk exactly the same way you do! I'd have thought people were used to this concept by now. The intrawebs have been here for a long time! :D

That said, I did see a British celebrity say Happy July 4th to the Americans on Twitter and the very first reply was "U britts say aluminim wrong!!!!" so I guess some people are still a little disturbed by the idea that the world isn't 7 billion exact clones of themselves.

Personally, I find regional dialects really interesting and fun. Definitely something to be savoured, enjoyed, and protected. It's one of the joys of language.

I'm doing "as a body" because what Americans call the hood is called the "bonnet" in the UK, thus suggesting that the front of the car is the head, so extrapolating from that wouldn't the wheels be the equivalent of legs/feet?

I don't think the etymology has anything to do with anthropomorphizing vehicles.

Still surprised that it's short o in "scone" instead of long.

Both are correct. Depends what region you're from.

Last edited:

Thanks to the disorderly adoption of certain Anglicisms, here in Chile (where we speak Castilian) we avoid the problem by calling TRPGS "JdRs" ("Juegos de Rol" or "Roleplaying Games") and CRPGs simply RPGs.

I think it must be similar in other Castilian-speaking countries, but I'm not sure.

Remove ads