Notes from a Savage Worlds fantasy campaign (updated with 05/28/08 session notes!)...

Flynn

First Post
Session #2: The Blood and the Tower...

Good Morning, All:

This post continues my efforts to document my first Savage Worlds fantasy campaign. In today's post, I am going to provide details about the second session of the campaign, which wraps up the first adventure.

All five players were able to make it to the session. Since one of them had not been present at the first session, I had to find a convenient point in the story to introduce him. Fortunately, an opportunity provided itself early on.

The Synopsis:

After recovering from their wounds as best they could, and searching the ambushing pirates for valuable loot, the party gathered themselves up and made their way past the Chamber of Dragons.

Down a corridor, the party came upon a ceremonial chamber, decorated with large frescos and containing several alter tables. It was evident that a great religious rite took place here once, and Chrysander (the scholar/magus) investigated further, he determined that the symbology used in the alters actually formed a heresy against Meritus, and were probably of infernal origin. The artwork on the wall depicted an archmagus (probably Suzeran) who transformed into a golden dragon. One scene towards the end depicted a stone sarcophagus with a dragon above it, and a vial fitting the image of the Blood of Meritus placed within the sarchophagus.

Determining that they needed to find the sarcophagus, the party continues on. A hallway and stairs led down to the edge of an underground lake, and a bell that hung on the cavern's wall. As the Warlord Andrus Phaetrun (a warrior and strategist) and his dwarven companion Yngvar the Stonecutter discussed what they should do, Chrysander rang the bell softly, ending the discussion as the notes drifted out over the water. A few minutes later, a long gondola came out of the shadows, a tall cloaked ferryman poling the boat to shore. When it arrived, the skeletal boatman looked upon them with eyes of green flame, and extended his hand for the toll. Chrysander was filled with fear, but the others were brave in the face of the living undead. All paid one coin for passage, which the boatman threw off the side before poling them across the lake to a distant shore.

The trip was relatively short, marked only their passage under a rope bridge, and upon arrival, the adventurers quickly leapt to shore and proceeded forth, leaving the boatman to return to the shadows from whence it came. A corridor lead beyond the shore into the cavern's wall. Steps led down towards an antechamber, where others were working to penetrate the rest of the dungeon.

The sounds of the party's discussion, plus the light of their torch, took away their surprise, and soon the party found themselves in conflict with a band of pirates led by Veridia the Render. The fight swung easily in the favor of our brave adventurers, as Chrysander entangled most of the enemy with an arcane spell of webs. A thief (our fifth party member) that was being forced to work for Veridia took advantage of the situation, and joined the attacking adventurers. Anzjin, the elven priest, performed a spectacular acrobatic flip over the "Pirate Queen", distracting her long enough for the others to wail upon her and drop her. The rest of the pirates fell quickly.

After the conflict was over, Calyt introduced himself as a man of many talents, captured by Veridia and forced to work for her in penetrating this far into the Tower of Suzeran. He offered to join the group, and after some discussions and veiled threats of distrust towards the young thief, the party agreed. Looking over the chamber, the dwarf located a hidden locking mechanism. Calyt attempted to undo the lock, but set off a trap that nearly took off his hand. Shaken by the encounter, Calyt took a few moments before disarming the trap, and then succeeded in opening the lock.

The chamber beyond was once another beautiful room of frescos, but this one had suffered the elements moreso than any chamber that they had entered thus far. The walls were covered with mold and mildew, as were the floors. Shortly after entering the room, the doors behind the party closed, and water began to fill the chamber. While the thief took to a side passage that led to stairs leading up, the rest of the party worked on the far set of doors, realizing only after the room was half full of water that the doors were faked. The dwarf quickly surged to the other side of the room and beat the doors down. Water rushed out, taking the dwarf and the sage out into the antechamber. The rest of the party, save for the thief, followed, and together, they took the unconscious Veridia to the stairs leading back to the lake and climbed up to safety.

Meanwhile, the thief, trapped in the stairwell, made his way up the stairs, checking cautiously as he went along. However, he failed to notice a spear trap at the top of the stairs, and so found himself stabbed in the side on the landing that kept him from drowning.

When the water receeded, the group joined back together, and went through the door at the top of the stairs in the side passage. A long hallway took the PCs to a balcony where a rope bridge stretched out over the waters. The thief went first, noting the presence of the ferryman below the bridge. As he passed over the ferryman, the skeleton attempted to knock the thief from the bridge into the water, but the rogue dextrously avoided the ferryman's pole and made it safely to the other side. He shouted out to the others about the problem, and waited for them to cross.

The dwarf circumvented the problem entirely by jumping into the boat with the ferryman. As he fought against the skeletal boatman, the elven priest moved along the bridge to use his staff at reach against the skeleton below. Chrysander once again cast his entangling web spell, which held the skeleton long enough for Yngvar to lay a mighty blow upon the skeleton (something like a 37 total damage or something like that), sending it into the water in pieces.

At this point, the party decided that the dwarf, heavily wounded from battle, would take the boat and their prisoner Veridia and make his way slowly back up through the portal and out to the longboat that awaited them. The rest of the party pressed forward, deeper into the dungeon.

The party followed the corridor to an antechamber, which led into a crypt for the Archmagus Suzeran. A stone sarcophagus set close to the doors, and a large open area under a shaft leading up to the sky above bore evidence that a large beast, such as a dragon, may have been chained beside the sarcophagus at one point in time. Paranoid, the party looked around the room, save for Chrysander, who could not help but attempt to open the sarcophagus. with the aid of Anzjin, the two pushed the stone open as the thief located a secret door in the wall.

The inside of the sarcophagus had been raided previously, save for two stones in the eye sockets of the corpse within, and the vial of the Blood of Meritus which lay in the vise-like grip of the desicated corpse within. Amidst much tension, the sage attempted to remove the vial, finally deciding to cut the dried hand from the corpse since the grip would not release the vial. When he pulled up the vial, a cord activated some kind of trap, and the entire island seemed to shake and rumble.

In a panicked state, the party rushed down the secret passage, finding themselves back at the Hall of Dragons. Stumbling to the portal, Chrysander activated the gate with his own blood, and the party rushed through as water began to fill the chamber behind them. Anzjin cast a quickening spell on each member of the party, and they flew up through the Tower as water rushed through the portal behind them, filling the tower. Through the Hall of Candles the heroes fled, back to the rope that led to the top. At this point, they had caught up with the dwarf, and there was a mad rush to climb the rope and get to safety as the sound of flames being extinguished in the Hall of Candles below reached their ears. Suddenly a wave of magic energy surged from below, causing the Blood of Meritus to respond with a sphere of energy of its own, protecting the party. Despire the buffer, they were knocked onto the roof above, where they quickly leapt onto the waiting longboat and cut themselves loose, just as the submerged tower and the Enchanted Isle crumbled and fell back into the great Lake Tempest.

The party marvelled at their newfound vitality, for the magical surge had gifted them with a more vigorous nature (a freebie increase in Vigor from the magical wave of energy), before they realized that a pirate ship still waited for the return of their Captain. The Warlord urged the party to man the oars, and the longboat began to surge forward in the dim light of the false dawn....

And this is where we ended the night's session.

Commentary:

Over the course of the last week, I had time to think about the game, and so I realized that I had not pointed out the passage of time sufficiently enough for the recover of Power Points. Therefore, I started the game off by awarding four Power Points for time that had passed in the first session but which had not been covered in terms of Power Point recovery. This is a simple thing to implement, once you have it in mind. I just was not used to thinking in those terms, so I worked on it in this session, and did much better.

In addition, the players really picked up on the use of tricks this time around. Combining their actions and working together, they were able to take Veridia with a high Parry and reduce her Parry score significantly, which allowed her to be dropped easily. It was great teamwork, and really energized the players to the possibilities that lay within Savage Worlds combat. It was very cool, and the cinematic nature of the combats from that point really struck a note within me. I like it; I like it a lot!

This adventure, as some of you may know, is a reworking of the D&D 3.5 adventure "The Tower of the Black Pearl" from Goodman Games' DCC #29: "The Adventure Begins." I am pursuing a storyline based on the alternate ending, which grants an additional hit die to each character to aid them in dealing with the aftermath of the magical energies that are released when the candles all go out. Translating this into Savage Worlds terms, I figured that it would give a bonus increase to Vigor. Under other conditions, I wouldn't do such a thing, but the storyline from the results of this adventure is so epic in scope that I decided it was a good thing. Besides, it'll help the characters survive longer, so that we all can get a better idea of how Savage Worlds works.

All in all, I had a great time in the session, and I feel that the essence of the converted adventure was well-captured in our gaming experience. The players all had a great time, and there was definitely excited talk after the game about the combat system and the coolness that Agility Tricks and working together brought to the two encounters in the session. Also, the players are excited to have rescued Veridia, wanting her to become a recurring villain in the campaign after they turn her over for the reward. Being a mindful GM, I'm inclined to agree, and I'm glad they are so whole-heartedly invested in such concepts. Players that work with a GM are a great and wonderful thing. :)

The next session will begin with their flight from the pirate ship, and then dealing with the aftermath of their first adventure. Yay!

Wish Them Luck,
Flynn

Flynn

First Post
Tomorrow night's adventure will involve a bit of freeform adventuring, as I want to present the PCs with the changes their actions have wrought upon the world, and then give them an opportunity to be heroes. Is there anything you might be curious about, that you'd like to see explored in a Savage Worlds game over the next few sessions? I am currently thinking about throwing a mass combat at them at some point soon. What do you think?

Simply Seeking Input,
Flynn

rvalle

First Post
Mass combat would be good. So would giving the players some Allies to use on their side during a bigger (but non-mass combat) fight.

rv

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
dpmcalister said:
Very much so, thanks :)

Exactly... going from:

Basic Arrow Trap
CR 1; mechanical; proximity trigger; manual reset; Atk +10 ranged (1d6/×3, arrow); Search DC 20; Disable Device DC 20. Market Price: 2,000 gp.

To:

Basic Arrow Trap (Fighting d8, Damage 2d6)

Has got to be simple :)

To be fair, the SW stat block crops a lot of information, like how it's set off/reset, how hard it is to find and disable (whether you take a penalty on your roll in SW), and how much it costs to build or buy one. Not that I'd ever use any of that info except for the difficulty, but still.

Flynn

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
To be fair, the SW stat block crops a lot of information, like how it's set off/reset, how hard it is to find and disable (whether you take a penalty on your roll in SW), and how much it costs to build or buy one. Not that I'd ever use any of that info except for the difficulty, but still.

Exactly. I knew the details from my notes, so I didn't even translate that part of the stat block. It stands to reason that, since certain portions are not game mechanic-related, they would translate across the board equally assuming the costs are the same in the milieu as they would be under D20.

In regards to the difficulty of certain skill checks, I just went with a standard TN 4. In a more advanced adventure, I might note a modifier here or there if a trap is significantly harder or easier to find than would normally be expected, based on the character level of the adventure. All in all, it's still a quick conversion, though, and simple to run.

Hope That Helps,
Flynn

Flynn

First Post
Good Morning, All:

Due to some last minute work issues, I had to skip last week's game. Fortunately, I was able to pick back up with the campaign last session. Overall, the session was mostly roleplay oriented, but I got to drop a lot of background stuff of the players so that they could get a glimpse at what was coming in the weeks ahead.

The Synopsis:

The brave adventurers rowed for shore in the growing light of dawn, the Enchanted Isle collapsing behind them as they rushed for dry land, trying to avoid the attentions of the pirate vessel, the Crimson Lady. The lookout noticed them, sadly, and the sails began to rise up, only to falter as the sounds of fighting carried across the waters from the distant ship. A black raven flew from the ship to the heroes' rowboat, bearing the message that the ship had fallen to mutiny. Quaseo, the magical companion of the now-dead Grand Magus Sisuthros, had apparently been on the ship and had noticed the mutiny begin.

The party rowed furiously for shore, landing on the beach about halfway up the shore between Trader's Point and Dagon Bog. Exhausted, the adventurers decided to set up camp, as they knew that the Crimson Lady had eventually set sail for the northeast, and so would not be bothering them. Despite the effort to set up guards, all fell into a deep sleep of sheer fatigue, and did not awaken until the sun was high in the sky. Calyt (the rogue) noted with his tracking skills that a large reptilian creature roughly thirty feet tall had approached the encampment, but stopped some distance away and then ran off back onto the plains towards Dagon Bay. Taking it as a sign that dangerous creatures dwelled in this region, he urged the party to travel on towards Trader's Point.

When the adventurers arrived at the tent city, they found that an inordinate number of funeral pyres burning to the north of the community. Some investigation revealed that a number of noteworthy and heroic leaders had died in the early hours of the morning, presumably not much before dawn. The tent city was frantic with activity, as various parties tried to determine who or what had done this. Suspicions of mass assassinations, curses under the dark arts, and even plague ran rampant, and many were packing up their tents to head back to their homelands.

The party quickly turned over the unconscious pirate queen Veridia the Render to Lieutenant Gareth, a Valefolk defender who had stepped up when his superiors passed away that morning with the other heroic leaders. Then they set about investigating the matter. Quite quickly, the party came to the conclusion that their actions had, either in part or in whole, been responsible for the deaths of the heroes, as the great wave of energy surged out from the collapsing tower, and only the presence of the Blood of Meritus had saved them a similar fate.

Calyt also encountered a friend of his from the old Tax Collector's Guild in Pasalovakia, who had been sent north into Synovia and Trader's Point to reconnoiter for an upcoming war against Synovia, and who was present on the morning of Midsummer when the local heroes had died. Involving Calyt, the rogue-ish Dominik organized a secret assault on the Valefolk jail cells, freeing the wounded Veridia and sneaking her back to a mercenary caravan, the Blue Shields, where they would attempt to sneak her south to Pasalovakia and recruit her for the upcoming war. Calyt helped, but requested that he not be involved beyond her release, so that he would have plausible deniability in case his new-found comrades learned that she was free.

The band made contact once again with Rufius, the former servant of the Grand Magus Sisuthros, and made arrangements with him to research the Blood of Meritus and the Grand Magus's quest for two more artifacts, in the hopes that perhaps this might help them atone for the acts that they had unwittingly participated in. The Scholar-Magus Chrysander penned a letter explaining the recent events in Trader's Point and sent it with Quaseo to the capital city of Synovia to prepare them for the party's arrival.

The next morning, the band, along with Rufius, met with Captain Azareus of the Blue Shields and joined his caravan as they headed south towards Greenfell, the northern-most village of the City-State of Synovia. A few hours out, the caravan noted the presence of more funeral pyre smoke columns in the general direction of Greenfell, indicating that the deaths were more widespread than the immediate area about the Enchanted Isle. They also noted a campfire from a goblin patrol in the area, and so were dispatched to deal with the little orange-skinned raiders.

The fight was fast and furious, and the party emerged victorious and unscathed against a force twice the size of their own party. Searching through the goblin's encampment, they discovered a crude map that seemed to indicate that the goblins were planning a massive strike on Trader's Point and the Vale of the Lady, the home of the halfling Valefolk.

And that's where the session ended...

Commentary:

This session was almost entirely roleplay. The Savage Worlds rules are not heavy, and there is very little in the way of game mechanics that are used for social interaction, aside from the usual Streetwise and Persuasion. I found this aspect of the gaming experience to work much like a D20 RP session: the PCs talked a a bit, made a roll, and I gave them information based on the RP and the results.

The gamers felt that I had given them a few Rat Bastard DM moments with this session, but they seemed to enjoy the storyline overall. They are responsible for the deaths of thousands of heroes, and some day soon, the oracles will be consulted, so they don't know what will happen then. The players know above game that Veridia is travelling with the party in a supply wagon as part of the Blue Shields caravan, and are okay with Veridia being a recurring villain in the future, but are playing it cool in-game by keeping the knowledge out-of-character. The players are interested in the two remaining quests that Sisuthros was engaged in, but must now choose between pursuing that or going back to Trader's Point to stop the goblin assault. The player of the Warlord Andrus is pumped about commanding halfling troops and trying out the mass combat rules, so I imagine that they will return south, leaving the caravan and Veridia behind in order to become the heroes that they are destined to be. However, I won't know until our next gaming session, so it's hard to tell.

Goblins are pretty much cannon fodder in Savage Worlds, but in numbers and using tactics, they had great potential for taking down a party member or two, especially at two-to-one odds. Only below average dice rolls kept the party from taking some wounds in that combat. Still, I think that the low-powered nature of the goblins lends itself well to massive attacks. Next time, I'll probably use big numbers like that, and try a single Wild Card along with them, just to test the waters.

The next game should be a lot of fun, with the potential for massive combats. If, however, the party decides not to go back to Trader's Point, I have other plans in the works, based on the backstories of several of the characters, as well as a small adventure along the way to Synovia proper. No mass battles, but it should still be fun, and I get to use a new monster that isn't common to D20, the Sasquatch, against them. Hehehe. :)

I continue to be pleased with the feel and progress of the game, and the players are having a blast with it. I am definitely using some new GMing tips this time around, such as "Leading with the Cool Stuff" (not saving the cool stuff to some future session when it might not be used, but rather using it right off the bat) and "Keep It Moving" (always have the game moving forward, even if it's all about RP). This more active approach to DMing has me stepping it up for my players, and I hope that the game proves to be rewarding to them as a result. I know I'm having fun, and getting to stretch myself a little.

The next session will begin with them making the decision as to what they want to do, and then moving forward from there.

Wish Them Luck,
Flynn

Garet Jax

Explorer
Enjoying your writeups Flynn.

How is the magic system working out in your game? I'm thinking of picking up Shaintar to see how SW handles D&D-like high magic. Do you think the core book has enough to convert most of the spells and powers for all the NPCs in a typical D&D adventure?

Also, regarding the arrow trap above, do you mean Shooting d8 instead of Fighting d8? Because as I recall, Shooting is vs TN4 and Fighting is vs Parry score, which is usually higher than 4 for most PCs.

Thanks again for the cool writeups.

Flynn

First Post
Garet Jax said:
Enjoying your writeups Flynn.

How is the magic system working out in your game? I'm thinking of picking up Shaintar to see how SW handles D&D-like high magic. Do you think the core book has enough to convert most of the spells and powers for all the NPCs in a typical D&D adventure?

Also, regarding the arrow trap above, do you mean Shooting d8 instead of Fighting d8? Because as I recall, Shooting is vs TN4 and Fighting is vs Parry score, which is usually higher than 4 for most PCs.

Thanks again for the cool writeups.

Yes, for the arrow trap, you are quite correct. Forgive, as I am new to Savage Worlds and am still learning. :)

The magic system is working out quite well, but be prepared not to have the diversity you may be used to with D&D. That being said, you can generally translate the big attack/combat spells your NPCs will use without a problem, and still have a great time with your converted D&D adventure. With practice, you can do it on the fly, too, which may be a good thing, depending on your play style. (It helps me a lot.)

I have not spent a lot of time with Shaintar, and I don't even have the new book, so I can't really tell you my impressions of it. I do know that Shaintar is aimed at a higher level of game play, and may be a better fit for what you are looking for.

I wish you the best of luck.

Happy Holidays,
Flynn

Flynn

First Post
Session Notes: January 2nd, 2008

Good Morning, All:

The Holidays always impact my gaming schedule in some form or another, and this year was no different. We did not game on Wednesday evening, Dec 26th, but we were finally able to game again last night (Jan 2nd).

The Synopsis:

After reviewing the map they discovered among the goblins they had slain, the party voted almost unanimously to return to Trader's Point to help the valefolk defend themselves against the goblin raiders. Approaching Captain Azarius of the Blue Shields, who was leading the caravan south, the Warlord Andrus played upon the Captain's sympathies towards their homeland of Synovia and picked up fifteen mercenaries at a very reasonable rate. Taking these warriors, the party made haste to return to Trader's Point before the goblin hordes could spring their attack on the "tent city" as a diversion for their bigger assault on the Vale of the Lady itself.

When they arrived, the party met with Lieutenant Gareth, the current de facto leader of the Valefolk defenders that protected the mostly evacuated Trader's Point. Andrus and his friends informed Gareth of the intentions of the goblins, pointing out that the plan's dual layered approach to conquering the Vale through the use of such diversionary tactics was beyond the normal range of goblin strategists, and thus the goblins were likely to have some external assistance.

While Andrus, Yngvar (the dwarven stonecutter) and Chrysander (the scholar-mage) stayed in the tent city to set up distractions and fortifications, both Anzjin (the elven monk) and Calyt (the sneaky rogue) led a small scouting party in search of the goblin forces that were gathering in the dark of night. The elf's innate connection with nature served the scouts in good stead, and they were able to spy upon the gathering goblin horde as they prepped to attack Trader's Point. The scouts determined that a human bandit chief named Ekarus the Grey and an orcish shaman Korgath, along with the shaman's bear companion, were leading the goblins into battle, and so swiftly bore the news back to the defenders in Trader's Point.

At dawn, the goblin hordes attacked, and the outnumbered defenders fought desperately to defend themselves from the attacking forces. Yngvar drew more than his fair share of attention from the attackers, but held a position practically by himself throughout much of the massive battle. Calyt displayed some of his new control over magic as he summoned arcane shadows to obscure the vision of the goblin forces, and used his stealth to strike hard against the goblins. Chrysander started the battle pretending to enact a great ritual to curse the goblins, drawing the attentions of the main body of forces to a position where the mercenaries and other defenders could strike from flanking positions. Thereafter, Chrysander resorted to his own magical talents, using arcane webs to entangle many foes over the course of the battle. The elven monk Anzjin slew many goblins in the beginning of the battle, before his valorous actions drew the attentions of the goblin commanders and he was swamped thereafter by small bands of goblins. The Warlord Andrus directed the defending forces, issues orders to be executed in a manner that ultimately proved quite effective. The battle waged back and forth, before the morale of the goblins finally broke and the raiders retreated, fleeing the Battle of Trader's Point with about half their number still intact.

The defenders quickly looted the bodies of their fallen foes, slaughtering any goblins they found wounded and incapacitated, and began to clean up after the battle. The next day, Trader's Point received word that, due to the early warning given by the party, the Vale of the Lady successfully defended themselves and routed the goblins with minimal loss of life. The High Priestess of the Vale, the nominal leader of the Valefolk, recognized the efforts of the party, awarding them recognition as Honorary Defenders of the Vale, and given them tokens of recognition such as fine articles of clothing and potions of healing, a rarity indeed.

The party also learned that goblin prisoners interrogated from the Vale assault that the original assault plans had come from a wandering cyclops named Abrontes, thus leading the party to speculate on the nature of the Curse. Andrus considered the point that some agency perhaps knew ahead of time about the Curse itself, and has set a number of plans in motion. He reasoned that Veridia the Red had been hired by this unknown agency (be it an individual or a group) to bring about the Curse, and that Abrontes had managed to get Ekarus the Grey and the goblin forces involved in this plan. He could see that a larger picture was forming, but as yet, there wasn't enough information to bring it entirely into focus.

In addition, the party's reputation increased, each earning nicknames as befitting their contribution in the Battle of Trader's Point. Andrus became known as the Warlord Phaetren of Trader's Point, giving formality to his informal title. His dwarven comrade Yngvar earned the name "Stonewall" for his contributions to the defenses as well as his prowess on the battlefield. The rogue came to be called Calyt the Shade for his arcane mastery of shadows and his stealthy prowess displayed over the course of the battle. Chrysander earned his new mastery of magic in the eyes of the public, as they began to call him by the title Magus. Anzjin the Stave was recognized for the incredible martial talent he displayed in the beginning of the battle.

Resting in Trader's Point, the party spent over a week and a half recovering from their wounds. After ten days, all but Magus Chrysander had fully recovered. The Magus, feeling the need to be quickly healed so that the party could return to Synovia, took it upon himself to visit the High Priestess of the Lady, seeking her greater magical healing prowess in possible exchange for a relic he had in his possession...

And that's where the session ended...

Commentary:

We had a great time with this session. The players chose to return to Trader's Point instead of continuing forward, so they quickly returned with mercenaries in tow and began to set about proper actions for defending the trading post/market that was Trader's Point. I really liked the way they jumped into different areas, exercising their creativity in a way I have rarely seen in D20 games. Either it is the freedom of the system or the freedom with which I am running this particular campaign, but either way, I am pleased to see this level of RP freedom going on.

I did RP out the scouting of the enemy base a bit, to allow the players to learn that Ekarus the Grey, the bandit chief that had slain a few of them in a TPK during a One Shot before the campaign started, would be leading the goblins. Seeing as how some of the players already knew of Ekarus the Grey from that playtest, I felt it was a great point to introduce a nice recurring villain for a future adventure, and create a sense of continuity with the world.

As they made their preparations and we covered the results of each, I asked them if they wanted to play the battle out under the normal combat rules, where the PCs could control the allies in a big all-out brawl, or if they wanted to try the Mass Battle rules from the Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition. They were all over using the Mass Battle rules, especially once they learned how each of them could be a contributing member to the success of a round.

The Mass Battle rules were great, although I did feel that they were rather deadly to the heroes involved. Despite that fact, the players seemed to really like the rules, particularly because of how they were able to be involved in a mass combat. Typically, the options for action are limited to the characters' combat and arcane skills, but I did allow a few well-thought out substitutions originating from the suggestions of the players: Chrysander started the combat using a Knowledge(Rituals) skill to serve as the big distraction in the beginning, and later on, Calyt used his Stealth to attempt sneaky back-stab maneuvering and that kind of thing. I thought the suggestions fit the characters and the battle very well, and went with them. I think that helped energize the players in terms of their participation, and added a lot of flavor to the scenario. All in all, most of the party came out heavily wounded, but felt the system works very well. Seeing this small scenario as a test bed, Andrus in particular is definitely looking forward to future scenarios that involve mass battles as it builds heavily on his character concept.

The revelations that the group came up with after hearing about Abrontes the Cyclops started showing some of the overall structure of the starting campaign elements, and surprised me as much as it pleased me to hear them working through the elements. It does indicate that I am being successful in presenting my campaign elements early on and well enough to form a good picture, and that is a cool thing. I used to have a habit of planting seeds early that were not revealed until after the first or second year Real Time of the campaign. This campaign is giving me the chance to try the big reveal sooner and still keep the game moving forward.

Chrysander's decision to approach the High Priestes of the Lady of the Vale for Greater Healing (as Savage Worlds has a separate magical healing power that heals after the "golden hour" after a wound is taken) will allow me to introduce the next adventure to the party in the form of the quest she gives him in exchange for the healing she will give. The players like that as the source of the next adventure, and appear to appreciate the adventure hooks I have given them so far for things to do afterwards. So, we'll see what happens next week, as we resolve the scene with the High Priestess as our first scene in the next session.

Wish Them Luck,
Flynn

rvalle

First Post
Yeah, I thought the mass combat rules looked very damaging to the party but they have a good chance of swinging the battle in their favor.

Nice post. Good luck to your players!

rv

Remove ads