Notes from a Savage Worlds fantasy campaign (updated with 05/28/08 session notes!)...

Flynn

First Post
Good Afternoon, All:

Last night, we had another exciting session in our Savage Worlds fantasy campaign. In this session, we began a new adventure, and I explored one of the most complex monsters, stat-wise, within the Savage Worlds system. We were down one player due to Real World isssues, but we plod forward. Needless to say, it was fun...

The Synopsis:

When last we left our brave adventurers, the Magus Chrysander had gone on alone to visit the High Priestess of the Lady of the Vale, hoping to trade the Blood of Meritus for the healing he so desperately needed. He was well received, being a hero in the recent battle, and the High Priestess heard his pleas.

Rather than take the artifact, as it was not of her faith, the High Priestess offered to heal the young Scholar-Mage in exchange for completing a small quest. The villagers of Amberglen, which lay on the northern-most outskirts of the Vale, reported villagers that had gone missing at the last new moon. The Defenders she had sent to investigate the matter died in the Time of Scything that occurred in the early hours of Midsummer Day, and so the High Priestess needed to send others in their place. As their forces were currently stretched thin, the High Priestess requested the services of Magus Chrysander and his friends to investigate this issue, recover the lost villagers if possible, and stop whatever or whoever might be causing the problem.

Needless to say, the Magus accepted and was healed. Returning to the others, he explained his quest and the others elected to join him, so off to Amberglen they went. It was a two day walk, the latter spent hiking through the rough hills that bordered the Vale, before they arrived at the Valefolk village.

Upon their arrival, the party witnessed the beginnings of a riot, as the local Priestess Doreen tried to prevent starving and dehydrated villagers from drinking from the poisoned waters of the town's well. Wading into the midst of the Valefolk, the party quieted down the situation quickly, and discovered that the well had been poisoned for almost a week now. When the party revealed that they had come at the request of the High Priestess, the Chief Speaker Tuathal took over the discussions.

Tuathal informed the party that the village had begun losing villagers a month ago, during the last new moon. Six had vanished, all around the area of the old abandoned Weeping Tree Cemetery, so he had closed it off as a safety precaution. Tuathal alone had visited the cemetery during the day and found a large pit within it, and noted that the sacred willow that protected the area was missing. The land had surely become desecrated and the villagers now knew to stay away from the old burial site.

Magus Chrysander asked in his scholarly way why the village had an old cemetery, as the Valefolk now burned their dead in pyres, much like the humans of the Kingdom of Synovia to the south. Tuathal spoke then of a vampire cabal that attacked the region twenty years ago, and would have overcome the village had the Priestess at the time, Kaerna, slain them all. Alas, she died in the undertaking, and the new priestess that had come after her had brought word of funeral pyres as a means of stopping the spread of the undead. Chrysander remembered similar tales back in Synovia, as the vampiric menace spread up the River Ith from the coastal regions into his homeland a century ago.

The villagers offers a meager reward, which the party declined. As it was close to evening, the party settled down to camp outside of town, between the village and the cemetery, in order to avoid any further disappearances. It was late into the night when Magus Chrysander, alone on watch, heard the stealthy approach of two shadowy forms. Stepping forward to identify them, the Magus was somewhat surprised when two vampiric Valefolk surged forth from the shadows. Before the two could react, the Magus had cast a spell in an effort to entangle them at the edge of the fire's light, waking most of the party in his efforts. One undead creature was temporarily restrained, while the other avoided the entanglement and rushed to attack the mage.

While Calyt the Shade slept, the rest of the band rose to fend off these two foul assailants. Yngvar Stonewall planted himself firmly in the path of the vampires, stopping them in their tracks. Although disturbed by the primal unnatural nature of these creatures, Warlord Andrus moved in, ready to do his part. The elven priest Anzjin the Stave whirled his staff menacingly, striking the vampire to no avail. In the light of their seeming resistance to attack, Chrysander dug deep into his memory and recalled a number of ways by which vampires could be slain. Once the team began to operate together using this knowledge, they were able to quickly turn the tide of the battle and drop the two vampires.

Having established the nature of that which was causing the disappearances, the party spent a good part of the next day working with the Priestess Doreen to create holy water. Late that afternoon, they took their blessed libations and made their way down the dark and twisted path to the Weeping Tree Cemetery. The foliage overhead had become twisted and gnarled, effectively blocking out sunlight, and so the party approached cautiously. At the entrance to the cemetery, two vampire guardians attacked the party, but rather quickly met their doom.

Once beyond the black iron gate that blocked the entrance into the cemetery, the party found a freshly dug pit in the middle of the burial site. In addition, rough, overturned ground indicated where the sacred willow once stood. The elven priest Anzjin the Stave, looking over the area, noted quickly that the tree walked out on its own, based on the tracks left behind. This caused a collective shudder among the party members, as Chrysander gave the name of "ent" to these mobile guardians.

One by one, the party members climbed down the fetid pit into the depths, finding an underground passage leading back towards the village. Ahead, they heard maniacal laughter in the darkness, and so moved forth in search of the source. Two more vampires attacked the band out of a small side passage, which complicated the party's ability to deal with them quickly given the nature of the terrain. However, using the techniques that had since become time-honored with their success, the band dispatched the two remaining villagers. Now, at the intersection, the party must decide whether to travel forward towards the laughter, or examine the side passage.

And that's where the session ended...

Commentary:

First, why doesn't anyone make a halfling vampire mini? Well, I guess, truth be told, it is a rare enough occurence that you actually need one. Still, you rarely find the various undead in an appropriately small enough size to handle the smaller fantasy races. Maybe someday, someone will find a reason to do so. In the meantime, I had to make do with some regular halfling miniatures, but it worked out fine.

We had a player missing in last night's session, as he had to work late, but the rest of us decided to move forward without him. I pulled up his character sheet and made the appropriate rolls for him when needed. It was amazing, in that he did sleep through the entire encounter around the campfire, particularly with a critical failure at one point.

The adventure I began last night was another D20 conversion. Some of you may even recognize it, despite the fact that I've changed many of the names and some of the background material. It's a simple adventure, but the reason I chose it was to explore how the system handled complex monsters. Vampires in Savage Worlds are rather complex critters. Most monsters in Savage Worlds have only a few special abilities, which makes them easy to run. Young vampires, the kind that the party has encountered so far, have eleven abilities you have to keep track of. I did make a mistake on implementing invulnerability, which still allows you to render the vampire Shaken (I forgot that at first), and I forgot their Level-Headed edge at first, but I did add a weakness to fire as a flavor item.

It seems that the players really enjoyed the encounters. The first one pushed the party hard, and threatened to wipe them out, before they learned how to take them down. The second encounter really demonstrated the mastery that knowledge and preparation gives you in a fight. The third encounter showcased the use of terrain, and so had its own unique feel to it. Naturally, the players dropped bennies left and right, and it was only because of the bennies that the characters survived without taking too many wounds.

Somewhere in the next few encounters, the party imagines that they will encounter the head vampire. In the Savage Worlds system, an ancient vampire has fifteen powers and higher stats, although many of the special abilities are shared with the young vampires. Should the players encounter such a creature, it could be quite messy for them, especially if the vampire has friends.

And then there's the question about the ent up above. Did it leave because of the presence of the vampires? Will it be back? And if so, whose side would it be on? The players don't know yet, but I'm sure they have their ideas. I just hope they enjoy the actual resolution of the adventure next week.

All in all, I am still impressed with the basic ease of converting D20 material for use in Savage Worlds. Despite the complexities of the vampire as a monster, the teamwork involved in fighting them reinforces the generally cool feeling that Savage Worlds brings to the table. The players are definitely appreciating that. While the vampire of Savage Worlds and that of D20 have different abilities, they both capture a similar feel in-game. I liked it.

Also, the players have decided that every adventure so far is linked together in some form or fashion, and that there is a single sinister force behind it all. In the next few adventures, I think I will explore that possibility for them, and reveal a bit more of the master plan.

In the meantime, if there are any suggestions on Savage Worlds elements or subsystems you would like to see played out in one of our sessions, please feel free to mention it here, and I'll see what I can do.

Wish Them Luck,
Flynn

Flynn

First Post
Oh, I almost forgot. Last week, I asked my players for their thoughts on the Savage Worlds system so far, particularly the Mass Battle system.

Here is the first response I got, from the player of Calyt the Shade:

I think all of the players would agree that the mass
combat system is very well designed and played out
well in the battle.

The only word of caution is that it can be deadly to
the 'heroes'. Your actions in the battle need to
reflect skills that your character is good at (e.g. do
not have the thief casting spells when he is a
dabbler). 4d6 damage on a failure for a thief is very
expensive on the bennies and potentially catastrophic.
I believe everyone, including the tank dwarf, took a
lot of damage. Several of us were one step away from
incapacitation/death. But truth be told, it does
reflect a large battle with the equivalent of 100+
combatants.

And here's the second, from the player of Magus Chrysander:

There is a rough-shod heavy handedness to the mass-combat rules. While such
a fight, played out with normal combat rules, would take forever and day to
go through (likely with the heros coming through the fight in a more-healthy
manner), I feel that the mass combat rules better reflect the chaos of a
battle field. Having fought in mock-battles of 1300+ people, it's amazing
to see how quickly a defended position can be over ran, the line pushed back
and failing, only to have the defenders rally and retake their defenses. I
feel the Mass combat Rules reflect this perfectly. In a graceful "normal"
rules fight, I doubt anyone would of gotten close to Chrysander, and those
in the 2nd/3rd "rank" of the fight, but where's the fun in that? We all
have good imaginations, and using a bit of description, we can all share how
our characters are contributing to the battle in their own ways, with out
having to move minis, keep track of locations, and to a degree really worry
about how each character is acting at any one moment.

I liked that using arrows/magic wasn't one spell per turn, but rather a
random roll of dice to reflect how much ammo or "power" was being used. For
the Magus, that could be a single spell cast to counter the enemy magic
user, or it could be a handful of spells cast to slow entire enemy lines.

I really liked the idea of a General of the fight. When you're in the thick
of a fight, it's hard to see all of what is happening, but someone with
battle experience knowing how troop lines move and being able to assess
Squad and Unit strengths would know how best to guide his troops into weak
points, or call them back to rally. Having the Hero's try to support a
fight, heros being those guys who's mere existence changes the face of the
fight, offers a creative way to involve everyone and really allowing the
players feel that they're making heroic efforts. Even if they fail all the
combat rolls, but succeed in staying alive, it's plain to see how any given
player's actions on the field help the battle.

I can't wait for the next big fight to happen. So far, The Savage Worlds
system gets both thumbs up. I definately like it more then any other system
I've played.

I just thought I'd share my players' opinions, in the interest of helping inform others about the Savage Worlds rules system, and about my players' experience with it.

Hope This Helps,
Flynn

Flynn

First Post
Session Notes - 01/16/08

Good Morning, All:

Yesterday, we wrapped up "The Weeping Tree" adventure, and saved a halfling village from the rampages of a spurned vampire priestess. It was a fun adventure, and the big fight against Mistress Kaerna went longer than I expected for Savage Wordls, but was exciting nonetheless. Before I get into too much more detail, let me give you guys a quick synopsis.

The Synopsis:

Our brave adventurers, having just dispatched what they assumed was the last batch of young vampires in this underground next, decided to explore the side passage from whence the attackers came. At the end of the passage, they found a small chamber filled with four coffins and two makeshift coffins. One of the older coffins was chained shut, yet the adventurers found holes cut into the bottom. At a loss to explain it, they destroyed the other coffins and preserved the chained one for later.

Turning their attention back down the hallway, they followed the increasingly louder maniacal laughter to a small chamber, Yngvar Stonewall travelling ahead of the band as he could see more easily in the darkness with his dwarven sight. As he approached the chamber, Yngvar noted that a halfling vampiress, Mistress Kaerna, was finishing her ritual to poison the well of Amberglen. As the dwarf slipped back towards the party, his departure did not go unnoticed, and so Mistress Kaerna turned her attentions towards the party.

Immediately, Mistress Kaerna called on dark forces to conjure a fiendish wall of thorns in the passageway, trapping the Warlord Andrus and Yngvar Stonewall with her. Frantically, the Magus Chrysander attempted to dispel the barrier, as Anzjin the Stave beat against the barrier. Calyt the Shade took a different approach, exercising his newfound magical abilities to burrow through the earth, bypassing the barrier and heading to the small chamber, hoping to surprise Mistress Kaerna. He did, indeed, but the bolt from his crossbow merely scratched her thick hide and did not penetrate to hit her heart.

Yngvar and the vampiress fought at the entrance to the small chamber, the dwarf defending his allies from the vampire's onslaught, as Anzjin broke through the barrier and rushed to the aid of Yngvar and Andrus. Mistress Kaerna called once more on infernal powers in an attempt to bind these adventurers within the passage, yet they deftly dodged her entangling trap. Angered, the vampiress turned her attentions back to the somewhat frail Calyt, rushing over to tear at him. Through good fortune, young Calyt did not fall, but was wounded by the vampire's onslaught.

Reunited, the party pressed their advantage against Mistress Kaerna, beating her down to a wounded state, before she resigned to transform to mist and attempt to flee. As the Warlord Andrus, Yngvar Stonewall and Magus Chrysander fled down the hallway in pursuit of the misty vampire, torches in hand, the elven priest Anzjin focused his healing magics on the poisoned well, spending most of his magical might to clear it of its poisoned state. Calyt remained by the priest's side, rummaging through Mistress Kaerna's altar as he waited the chance to be healed.

Further down the hall, the pursuing party members were able to trap the mist between them, using their torches to corner the vampire. Mistress Kaerna changed back to solid form, making a last ditch effort to assault the Warlord in the hopes of moving beyond him. She failed, due to her wounded condition, and was quickly vanquished by the party. Many a cheer arose from the three beleaguered adventurers.

Meanwhile, the elven priest, having cured the waters and healed Calyt moved to join his brothers in arms. Calyt remained behind, curious as to what he might find on the altar among the reagents. Indeed, he found a small onyx skull inscribed with infernal runes. When he picked it up, he thought he heard a whisper behind him, but after assuring himself it was nothing, he tucked the skull away for safe keeping.

Soon, the party came back to gather up the wayward Calyt, and under the dwarf's guidance set about collapsing the chambers and tunnels as they worked their way out. They stopped in the coffin chamber to investigate the chained coffin, recovering some treasure from within it before destroying it as well. Within half an hour, they had finished their work and returned to the base of the pit. Weary, they climbed up to the Weeping Tree cemetery, to find that the willow had returned.

A deep and somber voice cut through the air as the willow asked what had happened to his mistress. Calyt pointed to Yngvar and announced that it was all his fault, while Andrus stepped up and told the ent, "I killed her." With a rage-filled roar, the corrupted ent moved forward to lay two limbs down upon the party. The Warlord dodged the slow-moving branch, but Calyt, who had been standing near the Warlord at the time, took a branch full on, nearly dying from the brutality of the assault. As the Magus Chrysander assisted Calyt to move away from the ent, the other three took to the willow with torches and weapons in hand, burning and beating the creature until it finally collapsed from the severe wounds it had received.

Tired and bedraggled, the band drug themselves back to the valefolk village of Amberglen, to collapse into the only tavern's stable. During the night, Colin, the tavern master, found the party asleep in the stable. Yngvar, who stood watch, gave the man water and a potion of healing for his family. The next day, they broke the news that the well was purified to the rest of the village and there was an impromptu celebration (after the quenching of everyone's thirst, of course). Spending a day with the villagers, the party helped as they could, explained their discoveries to the Priestess Doreen, and enjoyed the peace that they had brought to this northern Valefolk village.

While distributing the treasure, Calyt the Shade took the opportunity to ask the Magus Chrysander about the onyx skull. After handling it and hearing a voice within his heart whisper to him, the Magus Chrysander asked to examine the Onyx Skull for a little longer, placing the item quickly away in a belt pouch and securing it with double knots. The seeds of corruption, perhaps, had been planted.

Next session, they start back to Synovia...

Commentary:

The battle with Mistress Kaerna went long. She was a Wild Card Ancient Vampire with some spellcasting ability, so she brought a lot of flavor to the battle. Her magics, tactics and special abilities helped draw out the combat to the point of a D20 scenario, lasting about an hour in duration, and was the longest conflict I've run yet under the Savage Worlds rules system. The complexity of the monster added to the number of things she could do, and it was a rough fight. Only one person took serious wounds (Calyt) and the priest fixed that up easily.

The fight with the corrupted ent was also fun. Huge creatures are very easy to hit, and ents have a low fighting die, so it was only the fact that the ent's fighting die exploded against Calyt that he got hit in the first place. Given the extreme strength of the ent, and with some good die rolls, Calyt suffered a particularly vicious blow.

The ease of hitting the ent allowed me to demonstrate the incapaciation rules to the party. At one time, due to the use of fire and some good damage rolls on the part of the party, the ent dropped to incapacitation with five wounds above and beyond what was needed to drop it. The ent was already at three wounds, so a soak roll would have had to absorb all five wounds to avoid incapacitation. Rather than try to soak the wounds, I used one of the ent's bennies on reroll the incapacitation Vigor check, and got a raise. That allowed the ent to stay up at only three wounds and just be Shaken. Of course, the party beat it down the next round, but they got the message that sometimes, it's better to say the bennie for the incapacitation roll instead of trying to soak a large number of wounds.

The session was fun, the players appeared to have a good time, and they got to face their first magical opponent, as well as a huge monster. I felt the session went well and continued to explore the ramifications of the Savage Worlds rules set.

The next session is likely to focus on some good plot development, but I still hope to provide some interesting encounters and scenes that allow us to continue to explore these wonderful new rules. Of course, as always, if you have any suggestions or requests, I'm definitely open to them.

With Regards,
Flynn

Flynn

First Post
Session Notes - 01/23/08

Good Morning, All:

Below is a brief discussion of last night's Savage Worlds game set in my Kintara homebrew. As you can tell, most of it was offering the party a lot of adventure hooks, but they still got in a little action. A few lucky die rolls turned what appeared to be a routine combat sequence into a pretty intense encounter, and much fun was had by all.

The Synopsis:

Having recovered from their fight against the undead Mistress Kaerna and saved the valefolk village of Amberglen, the party begins making their way south. After a brief layover in Ladytown to report the outcome of their quest to the Lady's Hand, the High Priestess of the Lady of the Vale, the party continued back into familiar territory. It appeared that Trader's Point had stabilized, so with a lighter heart, they made their way south towards Synovia.

On the border of Synovial lands, a few hours north of the village of Greenfell, the party came upon a small band of men, five bandits and their leader Rendrus. The air was thick with the tension of the moment, but then the party decided to go on their way, having learned that their mercenary friend Lieutenant Volus now resided in Greenfell as the Captain of the Guard and de facto lord mayor.

Upon arriving at Greenfell, the band of adventurers met with Captain Volus, who asked them to stay and defend Greenfell from harm. With all the local heroes dead, Rendrus and others had turned to crime, and had fled the village before facing the judgment of Volus. The village to the south, Newport, had succumbed to plague. The township beyond that, Oxbridge, had been taken over by a sea dragon named Cornelius, who renamed the territory as Cornelia in his own honor and was capturing villagers to use as slaves. A village to the west, Moonwell, lay under siege by a large brand of brigands, possibly the Sundered Kings (exiles of the dwarven Triumverate to the north that had turned to banditry). Piracy ran rampant on the high seas. In the aftermath of the Midsummer Massacre, the days ahead looked bleak. Quaseo, the raven and former magical companion to the now-deceased Magus Sisuthros, returned during the discussions and spoke of Captain Azareus and Rufius, among others, being prisoners of the sea dragon Cornelius.

The party discussed their options. In the end, they decided to shore up Volus's position in Greenfell by hunting down the bandits led by Rendrus, make for an Oracle that dwelt on an island in Newport Bay, and then try to work their way quickly to Synovia to seek aid in recovering their friends from Cornelia.

With that decision made, the adventurers headed out the next day in search of Rendrus. It was a long day, with a few failures, before the party came upon an abandoned farm that the bandits had been using. The bandits had left a few hours before, followed shortly thereafter by a pack of wolves. Anzjin, the elven priest, led the group in pursuit of their foes. In the late afternoon, the party had finally caught up with the band as they fought against the ravenous wolves that had also been tracking them.

The three-sided battle waged on as the party fought both wolves and bandits, sometimes together and sometimes apart, following the ebb and flow of combat. Magus Chrysander cast spells in an attempt to entangle his enemies, and was only partially successful. Rendrus held his own, bringing both Anzjin low and nearly slaying Chrysander before Rendrus was finally dropped to a state of near-death by the talented archery of Calyt the Shade. Yngvar Stonewall was particularly effective against their combined enemy, and even Warlord Calyt joined in the close combat. Both were wounded by panicked bandits, but none died (although Chrysander came close).

In the wake of the battle, the band quickly took to healing their own. With the aid of magic, the four wounded recovered significantly, though Chrysander suffered a permanent wound (a busted gut) which looked to hinder him for the rest of his days. With rage in his heart, Chrysander slew the unconscious Rendrus. With reproachful looks, the party looted the bodies of the fallen, while Anzjin set to the care of the wolves that had fallen but escaped death.

And that's where the session ended...

Commentary:

In this session, the major rule interaction this time was with the larger combat. Here, I threw five wolves, five bandits and a ranger wild card against the party of five PCs. I pitted the wolves against Rendrus's gang, and that resulted in two deaths. The rest fell at the hands of the party. I enjoyed the setup on this scenario because it was not a "monsters against the PCs" encounter, but rather a two-sided battle that the PCs decided to join as a third side, so it felt refreshing as a change of pace. Also, this was perhaps the biggest fight I've thrown against them yet, with ten Extras and a Wild Card as the enemies.

The fight was glorius. The use of a few pieces of terrain added to the flavor of the scene, but it was all about the die rolls. A few well-rolled attacks and damage caused some concerns, particularly to the dwarf who was not often hit and more rarely hurt in combat. Rendrus landed a rather vicious blow against the PC Chrysander, giving him something akin to six wounds of damage, so the player elected to spend his bennie on the incapacitation roll instead of trying to soak. As a result, he was bleeding out instead of outright dead. He eventually stopped bleeding out, but at the cost of a permanent wound, a busted gut that reduced his Vigor by one die type. The player took it in great stride.

We also had some great and enthusiastic use of the rules to do "cool things", like leaping out of a tree while firing a bow for the final shot that took Rendrus down. The fight definitely had its cinematic moments, and I am glad to see that the players are getting into the spirit of the rules and of the game, stretching themselves a bit and having fun doing it.

Next week, we should see some interesting stuff as the party tries to make it through the Newport area, avoiding the Red Death while seeking the means to consult the Oracle about the various tasks that lie ahead of them.

Wish Them Luck,
Flynn

Flynn

First Post
As an aside, I have noted that this thread has been viewed at least 682 times, so I know people are checking my posts out. (Thank you if you are one of them.) If you like what you are reading, please feel free to post some form of feedback to let me know. Like many others on these boards, I find that the occasional positive encouragement is a Good Thing (tm), and encourages me to continue posting.

Thanks In Advance For Your Time,
Flynn

rvalle

First Post
Good stuff.

How was it having to handle 10 guys (5 wolfs and 5 bandits) including the 1 wild card vs other game systems?

How do the players llike the leveling up process (I assume they have done so at least once by now)?

rv

Flynn

First Post
rvalle said:
Good stuff.

How was it having to handle 10 guys (5 wolfs and 5 bandits) including the 1 wild card vs other game systems?

The fight lasted less than an hour, and the resolution was quick and painless. It was 11 bad guys vs five PCs. As you can see, the encounter took almost as long as a D20 encounter, but still somewhat faster than I expected, and there were more turns and thus more action over the course of the encounter. With initiative, I dealt out cards for the wolves, the bandits and Rendrus, as well as each of the PCs. The only person I had to track wounds for was Rendrus (the enemy wild card) and I did this by stacking a different colored token on his initiative card. Because of the rapid cycle, I felt like more was accomplished in the encounter, and I did have more team work and extra efforts for coolness during the combat. It just felt better, but that's purely a subjective reaction to the elements I've listed above.

rvalle said:
How do the players llike the leveling up process (I assume they have done so at least once by now)?

rv

The players like it. I average two XP a session, with an extra XP on sessions when an adventure is completed. The players have gone through three advancements so far as a result (every 5 XP is an advancement), and I've seen some interesting development. Most of them focused on skill and stat improvement, although a few have picked up a new Edge here and there.

For four of the five players, their next advancement allows them to start picking up Seasoned Edges instead of just Novice Edges, as they will have hit 20 XP and thus be considered Seasoned rank. That may cause a little change in the purchasing pattern, but all in all, I like that they are boosting skills instead of diving into more combat abilities and that kind of thing. (One of them is four XP behind, having missed two sessions.)

Several of the players have made comments that while they have a soft spot in their hearts for D&D, Savage Worlds is quickly becoming the "Go-To" system for any of their future efforts, because of the character development and ease of prep and play.

As an aside, to show you how versatile the system can be, one of my players ran a game based on the movie Tron as a One Shot at the Austin Savage Worlds Game Day last weekend, and it worked with no rules changes, complete with light cycles and derezzing the bad guys. It was pretty awesome, and a lot of fun to boot.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll do what I can to answer them.

With Regards,
Flynn

Neil Bishop

First Post
Thanks for posting this, Flynn. I'm currently considering converting my FR game to Savage Worlds and these sorts of posts help. What do your players like most?

Gothmog

First Post
Sounds like your experiences with Savage Worlds mirror my own. My group LOVES SW. The pacing of the game, rules complexity, and the vulnerable but cinematic characters really appeal to us.

We've been playing it since it came out, and have used it for fantasy, sci-fi, space opera (Star Wars and Fading Sun specifically), weird western (Deadlands), post-apocalyptic (converted Darwin's World/Deadlands: Hell on Earth game), Soloman Kane, horror (kind of a cross of Cthulhu and Kult), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Runepunk, and a one-time conversion of Ravenloft. In every case, SW handled the genre without a hitch, with NO need for houserules or tinkering with the system.

Your experience is similar to ours with the mass combat system. Its rough on the PCs, but it makes sense. Its very easy to get overwhelmed in a surge of combatants, and PCs have to really use some tactics, especially terrian, to come out ahead. A few times, I've also allowed Generals to use Persuasion or Taunt on rolls to gain a +1 effect (+1 per raise, up to +3 total) for particularly stirring speeches/bravery or very clever tactical tricks. It helps to reward some creative thinking, and can turn the tide of a battle.

My players are also huge fans of combat tricks and tests of will. These are two things D&D and most other systems don't have, but they can make a huge difference in the way the fights play out, and allow for some really fun and flavorful action that isn't just always swinging a sword or shooting at someone.

In various games, we've taken characters up to Heroic level. My players usually opted to increase skill dice or stat dice, but picked up one or two new edges per rank. Most of the time, the new edges don't make a big power difference, but a few do. Frenzy, level-headed, no mercy, fervor, dead shot, and might blow can make a HUGE difference in character power level.

In running SW, I've found my prep time for statting up NPCs is almost nothing, and 99% of the time, running those NPCs in fights is a really simple matter. A few enemies (like the vampires you describe) have numerous powers or edges that require a little more work, and for them I find making a little cheat sheet helps. I'm surprised your group didn't have more trouble with the ent though- IME really big critters tend to be horrendously hard on PCs- they are easy to hit, but VERY hard to hurt, and do a ton of damage. When you play, are you using fixed damage (for example, a dagger does Str die +1), or the newer rules where a dagger would do Str + d4? I prefer the latter, even though its a little more deadly because in the previous incarnations of SW, melee weapons kinda sucked. The only thing I had to change a little was to give an extra benny on average to make up for the occasional very high damage roll when both dice aced.

Overally, we've found SW is the perfect system for us- easily customizable, versatile and elegant mechanics, simple, fast, and my players say its the most fun they have ever had with a RPG! :D

Neil Bishop

First Post
Thanks for your post too, Gothmog. When I'm next back in my own country we're going to try a session or two of SW to see if we all like it. I'm rather excited about the change largely because of the reduced prep time but, prep time is not the most important consideration, how it plays will determine whether we make the change.

Remove ads