• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Now Recruiting for WWDA: Weak Willed DMs Anonymous!

Chriskaballa

First Post
NOTE: The following is NOT to be taken too lightly. This is a serious problem and I would like to address it in the same manner as the founders of Bothered About Disposable Dragons did.

Yes, all of us DMs have done it at one time or another. We've given out too much stuff, or we've fudged the dice more than necessary. We're known as crowd pleasers, softies, whatever suits the peanut gallery. We do what we can, whn we can, just to please. We are afraid to see PCs die, or in my case, even see them get injured (though my case is a rare, and long-winded, exception).

We are the Weak Willed DMs.

Let us band together, my brothers and sisters. Let us come together and be strong, for we shall attempt to overcome our weakness and become the great DMs we, and maybe our players, have wanted us to be.

By becoming a member of WWDA, you acknowledge that one or more of the following is true:

1) You have made special concessions for a PC or player just so they would stay in the group.'

2) You have given out an overpowered item, power, etc., and not taken it away and do not plan to, just because the PC is enjoying it.

3) You have ever cried because of something that happened in-game.

4) Your players have been able to persuade you to do something that you later regretted, but still follwed through with and kept it anyway, just because you are a crowd-pleaser. (See #1 and #2.)

5) You have refused to use Rule 0.

6)You have overcome being a weak-willed DM and would like to offer your help to those poor, unfortunate DMs in need.

Other reasons for joining WWDA will be judged on a case-by-case basis.

Come together and join WWDA if you have been known to have a weak will or if you are an experienced DM who is willing to offer help and advice.

WWDA- Weak Willed DMs Anonymous. Striving to Please PCs Around the World While Still Maintaining Game Integrity, One Group at a Time!

~Chris

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
If it makes you feel any better - and it won't - when I was 14 I was sitting alone, slaughtering monsters from Dieties & Demigods and the MM with my umpteenth level monk/wizard/cleric. That's because no one would play in a game I'd run... too much treasure, not enough challenge. Oh, and every single character I brought into our regular school campaign was systematically killed by a "friend" playing an antipaladin. Every week, a new PC. I've considered registering on classmates.com just so I can send the guy a nasty email, all this time later! But I'm not bitter. Or vindictive. Ohhhh, no.

So, it'll get better. It has to! :D

William Ronald

Explorer
Chriskabella,

Don't let things get you down.

A key principle in my campaign is "Power should be earned, not given."

Should high level heroes be powerful? Yes. However, this should be because the characters have been put through a lot. Good players realize that their characters should not become the world's greatest anything overnight. I do have a character who qualifies as an epic level hero. This character has been around since the mid-1980s.

Also, dice rolls can be fudged, but should only be done so for the purposes of a good story. This requires good judgement. Fudging die rolls should only be done rarely.

As for trying to keep players in a group, I have found that special concessions tend to create rifts inside of a group. If one person wants a concession, then others will as well. This tends to make things go downhill fast.

Remember, you can always say no.

Ahhh.. the follies of inexperience. One of my groups has a Deck of Many Things. My biggest fault recently, though, wasn't too bad, but still bad. One of my players who shall remain nameless...oh what the hell, he's out of town--it was Fayredeth--really wanted a mithril chain shirt, and kept on pestering a merchant about it. It was about four in the morning, I was tired and wanted to get the game done and sleep, but he wouldn't give up.... and I caved!!! *buries head in hands* oh god it was horrible!

All well... there's plenty of goodness in store for him while he's gone... MWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAAAAAA! :D

Dark Psion

First Post
Do tears due to keeping FROM laughing count?

The worst decision I ever made was to let a player DM.

His wandering monsters came straight from the Fiend Folio...Alphabetacally

Chriskaballa

First Post
Dark Psion... congratulations and welcome to WWDA. You let a player DM, which is the biggest mistake you can make.

You are member Number 1. Congratulations. :p

~Chris

The worst decision I ever made was to let a player DM.
I've done this twice, and been rather pleased by the results both times. The first time was with my friend and fellow ENWorld poster Fayredeth, and he turned out to be a very good DM. You see, when we let someone new DM, we test them as much as we can--for example, the other player Nathan played a cleric named Pendulum who had about 25 cats...and routinely soaked them in oil and threw them at people. How to very, very quickly spoil a written adventure... lol AFAIR, we were playing The Wand of Archael or some such nonsense.

The second time was just damn amusing--Sticks, one of our newer players wanted to try his hand at DMing. I just grinned from ear to ear when I heard that on the phone. To make a long story short, after a few hours he said, "Damnit! I hate this! I will NEVER DM, ever again! Fayredeth and I high-fived each other across the table. We will always and forever be the only DMs in our group. MWAAAHAHAHAHA!

Ahem. Sorry, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Remove ads