• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Now that 4e is out, are you into it or sticking with a prior edition?

Which edition, especially in response to 4e?

• Gladly changing with the times--4e is for me

Votes: 303 45.6%
  • Hesitantly changing with the times--I'll try 4e, but I'm not selling my Xe books yet

Votes: 94 14.1%
  • I'm sticking with 3.5 (for whatever reason)

Votes: 248 37.3%
  • I never changed from 3.0 to 3.5

Votes: 40 6.0%
  • I never changed from 2e, or went back to 2e

Votes: 22 3.3%
  • I never changed from 1e, or went back to 1e

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Advanced D&D? faw! Basic all the way

Votes: 22 3.3%
  • OD&D, baby!!!

Votes: 16 2.4%

Tetsubo

First Post
I'd sticking to 3.5. Though I will eventually pick up Pathfinder's 3.75.

Everything I have seen about 4E has shown me that I am not the games target market.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Stay with 3.275-mark II being a heavily houseruled mutant offspring of 3e

however I will mercilessly pillage 4e until only the lingering scent of its demise remains

and doesn't everyone do skill challenges anyway:p

Aus_Snow

First Post
Tonguez said:
Stay with 3.275-mark II being a heavily houseruled mutant offspring of 3e

however I will mercilessly pillage 4e until only the lingering scent of its demise remains

and doesn't everyone do skill challenges anyway:p
This, and yeah, I thought so too. :D

I will see what Pathfinder brings to the table. It's promising, but well, unfinished, so I can't call it on that one, not yet.

Not having bought 4e though, and having no plans to do so at any time, I'll only 'pillage' from what is freely available. And there probably won't be a great deal of that happening anyway, what with 4e being so, uh, well. . . I'll leave it at 'unappealing'. Better that way. ;)

Ahglock

First Post
For the moment, sticking with 3e for D&D things. I like a lot of what I see in 4e, but it does not cover what my players would need for a game yet. When PH3 or so comes out then I'll probably make the switch, no summoning, no necromancy, no druids, a fairly woeful feat selection yeah not yet.

Also I have plans for house rules, and I want to wait and see how other peoples games pan out before I enter a new system with house rules going from the get go.

Edgewood

First Post
3.5 will remain my system of choice for the time being. I'll probably mine the valuable nuggets in the alpha releases of Pathfinder and assimilate them into my campaign until it's final release next year. 4e holds no appeal for me. I do agree that there are more people digging in their heals over the change from 3e to 4e as opposed to 2e to 3e. The release of 4e has a different motive. Whatever your stance on these updates are, one must agree that 3e was a needed change from 2e. 4e is just a cash grab.

Ahglock

First Post
Edgewood said:
Whatever your stance on these updates are, one must agree that 3e was a needed change from 2e. 4e is just a cash grab.

I must agree?

That is odd, because I find myself not agreeing with this. I do not find 4e any more of a cash grab than 3e was. I do not find any more of a needed change in 2e that is not in 3e.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tetsubo said:
I'd sticking to 3.5. Though I will eventually pick up Pathfinder's 3.75.

Everything I have seen about 4E has shown me that I am not the games target market.
I'm with Tetsubo. 4e is not targeted towards me. Pathfinder definitely is and that is the direction I'll likely take my main campaign world. I've already begun to think about how Kulan will change as a Pathfinder world. The Pathfinder deities might replace the core D&D deites, but I haven't decided yet.

My lack of interest in 4e has sent me looking for new gaming options. I just bought Mutants & Masterminds, and I'm considering buying a copy of the revised edition of True20. Still, I really like D&D 3.x and I'm not likely to give it up any time soon.

Cheers!

KF72

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Edgewood said:
3.5 will remain my system of choice for the time being. I'll probably mine the valuable nuggets in the alpha releases of Pathfinder and assimilate them into my campaign until it's final release next year. 4e holds no appeal for me. I do agree that there are more people digging in their heals over the change from 3e to 4e as opposed to 2e to 3e. The release of 4e has a different motive. Whatever your stance on these updates are, one must agree that 3e was a needed change from 2e. 4e is just a cash grab.

Here's the thing: in order to concede that 4e is just a cash grab one must also concede that there were no fundamental problems with 3e. That's not a concession that many 4e fans will be willing to accept (especially people like me that largely gave up on 3e in lieu of other games*).

* Mutants and Masterminds and Savage Worlds in my case.

Ahglock

First Post
Edgewood said:
So you stuck with 2e and didn't switch to 3e?

For a while, and when 3e covered the things I wanted I went to 3e. And I'm sticking with 3e for a while and then moving to 4e when it covers the things I want.

Remove ads