Now that 4e is out, are you into it or sticking with a prior edition?

Which edition, especially in response to 4e?

• Gladly changing with the times--4e is for me

Votes: 303 45.6%
  • Hesitantly changing with the times--I'll try 4e, but I'm not selling my Xe books yet

Votes: 94 14.1%
  • I'm sticking with 3.5 (for whatever reason)

Votes: 248 37.3%
  • I never changed from 3.0 to 3.5

Votes: 40 6.0%
  • I never changed from 2e, or went back to 2e

Votes: 22 3.3%
  • I never changed from 1e, or went back to 1e

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Advanced D&D? faw! Basic all the way

Votes: 22 3.3%
  • OD&D, baby!!!

Votes: 16 2.4%

Vanuslux

Explorer
I'm pretty excited to try out 4E and will be going into it full steam as soon as my books get here. I'm not going to peddle off my 3.x books just yet, though.

seasong

First Post
I stopped playing 3/.5e because of bogged down games. Everything I've seen about 4e, and having read the Player's Handbook, 4e looks like a lot more fun for the combat aspect (the other 95% of my campaigns looks to be no better or worse).

Unfortunately, the Player's Handbook is incomplete - my preferred D&D setting has kobold barbarians, an immense druid theism, steampunk gnomes, militant sorcerers, and dozens of monastic martial arts schools.

I plan to read the Dungeon Master's Guide later, and see if "rolling my own" classes will be easy or hard. If it's easy, I may switch anyway. If not . . . I can't really play D&D 4e until PH II.

Khairn

First Post
In its drive to simplify, 4E eliminated many of the features, options and tactics that I truly enjoy, and replaced them with elements that are far less enjoyable.

There are parts of the new edition that I do really enjoy such as the Skill Challenge. But the amount of features that have been lost versus the benefits gained make sticking with 3.5 (Pathfinder) an easy call to make. I'll still play in a friends 4E game because he is a great GM, but I won't be running any 4E myself.

So for me, I made my saving throw versus the Wizards "Charm Person" with ease and left the books for someone else to buy.

Last edited:

La Bete

First Post
seasong said:
Unfortunately, the Player's Handbook is incomplete - my preferred D&D setting has kobold barbarians, an immense druid theism, steampunk gnomes, militant sorcerers, and dozens of monastic martial arts schools.

I plan to read the Dungeon Master's Guide later, and see if "rolling my own" classes will be easy or hard. If it's easy, I may switch anyway. If not . . . I can't really play D&D 4e until PH II.

IIRC - necromancer games are looking to put out an Alternate PH with the "missing" classes, written (I think) by mouseferatu. Might help.

Jadeite

Open Gaming Enthusiast
A bit of both.

I will use 4th Ed for casual lighthearted dungeoncrawl sessions, while I will stick to 3.5/Pathfinder for more complex campaigns. 4ht Ed also seems like a good way to introduce new players to the game before exposing them to the more complex 3.5 rules.

Wolf72

Explorer
I'm one of those who'll stick with 3x for a while, when we can afford it and feel like it we'll pick up some 4e stuff and check it out (and read more reviews)

Gothmog

First Post
Complete switch to 4E here.

I started out being a big fan of 3E, but after a few years of combat drudgery, character/monster/NPC statting nightmares, overcomplicated and interconnected rules, and a general playstyle assumption built into the 3E rules I didn't like, I quit running and playing 3E becasue it was a chore to run and play. Gaming and prepping a game should be fun, not something you take a deep breath and brace yourself for. While 3E was a step forward from 2E in terms of unified mechanics, it was a big step backwards in terms of DM freedom and creativity (every 3E game I played in felt the same- homogenized), and much less fun for us than 1E/2E. So when we had a D&D craving the last few years, we played 2E.

4E brought back the fun for me. 4E took some pages from the books of more modern games that allow for character diversity while also allowing character customization (I can see a lot of Savage Worlds in 4E). For me, 3E was a game where my imagination was restricted by the rules, but 4E is a game where the game is only restricted by my imagination. I also love the more narrative and freeform style of 4E. 4E feels more like the D&D remember being so absorbed in and fascinated by as a kid. So I'm dancing on the 3E rules-bloated behemoth's grave, and welcoming my new 4E masters!

Last edited:

Qualidar

First Post
I need time to parse it first, but probably going with both 3.5 (/pathfinder) and 4e, as I play with a couple of different people who have different needs.

Richards

Legend
I'm sticking with 3.5 for the foreseeable future. 4E holds no interest for me, my players enjoy 3.5, and I have more than enough 3.5 (or easily convertible to 3.5) materials to keep me gaming for the rest of my natural lifespan.

Should I manage to successfully procure a phylactery and make the jump to lichdom, I may give 4E a try some centuries from now. By then, I'll probably have exhausted my 3.5 supplies, and "over my dead body" - which is how I currently feel about converting to 4E - will be technically appropriate.

Johnathan

Wombat

First Post
Actually, I am quite happily sticking with non-D&D games for a while now.

I have looked over the current edition and gone **meh** -- not to my tastes, and given how long it took to bang 3.whatever into shape for the style of games I like to play, I simply realized the new edition is not worth the time and effort.

Remove ads