• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Number Of GMs Per Group?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I play in two groups. I'll also indicate their sex in light of another thread out here on the relative dearth of female GMs.

In the Sunday group, we have 5 players (3 male, 2 female), 2 of whom (both male) GM fairly regularly and a 3rd (female) who does so less regularly in a variety of contexts. A 4th (female) has done so in the past but not for a long time.

In the Thursday group, we have 8 players (6 male, 2 female), 4 of whom (all male) regularly run games for the group and 1 more (female) who does so infrequently (but is interested in doing more).

Arrowhawk

First Post
Four players. Two of us DM. We rotate DM's every level/module. We play the same House Rules. The DM's play two PC's as players and will keep one or more of their PC's on as NPC's when they DM, to bolster the party and keep some continuity for the non-DM's.

6 out of 9-10. We rotate DMs every week, with rare exceptions.

But I play Living Forgotten Realms, so it's not exactly a normal campaign.

I must say that having a large number of DMs is fun for exposing people to different styles, and for preventing any one person from being stuck DMing.

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
In my group all six of us are active DMs. A seventh member is also a DM, but being in a band and a freshly minted girl friend he is on sabbatical.

We range in age between 20s and 40s. 4 men & 2 women.

We are also a playtest group and two of us coordinate D&D Encounters and Lair Assault respectively.

Sent using Tapatalk

OnlineDM

Adventurer
For my online game (myself as DM, 5 regular players), I'm the only one who DMs for this particular group of people, but I know that two others also DM for other groups; maybe a third does, too (I'm not sure).

For my family game (myself as DM, 3-4 regular players) I'm the only one with DM experience.

For my main in-person game (myself as DM, 6 players), I'd say 2 of the 6 players meet the criteria of "have DMed in the past and will again in the future". Two others have DMed in the past (for this group) but I doubt if they will do so again (though I'd love to be pleasantly surprised on this one). The other two have never DMed, and probably will not.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I wonder if there is any connection between player age and the desire to GM?

I became GM after we booted the old one, back in '76, largely because no one else wanted to run.*

Now almost half my players have either run games, are running games, or plan to run a game.

The Auld Grump

* Though I think that my data is poisoned by the fact that I was one of the youngest players there.... :hmm:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads