• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Number Of GMs Per Group?

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
So, I was reading the "female GMs thread" a moment ago, and I was wondering: out of your regular group, how many people "regularly" GM? That is, I'm not wondering how many people in your group have ever GMed, but how many have GMed in the past, and plan to again At Some Point In The Future?

For my group (of 7 people), I'm the only "regular" GM. One has tried once (stopped after two sessions; didn't like it), one plans on running something Sometime Soon but never has, two have run games in the past (but never for me or the rest of this group) but haven't mentioned running a game in the future, one ran a one-shot once, and the last one has never run a game, to my knowledge. When my brother returns from Fort Hood, he'll be the only other "regular" GM we have (he runs games about as much as he plays, if not a little more often).

What about you?

Ahnehnois

First Post
For my group (4 at last count), I primarily DM, but we do take turns and the other member run shorter games or other systems. In our history, we've had quite a few players, several who DMed extensively; it was some time before one person was really established.

I think it is valuable to have some consistency and run long campaigns, but I try to encourage my players to learn the game and try DMing, and I write and talk a lot about my process, both to make my games as cooperative as possible but also as a way to get everyone thinking from the DM's perspective.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Good question!

Anthony, Jen, Chris, Dennis (the Younger), Greg, Mike, and Dave, all run a game on an irregular basis. Jon runs a Pathfinder game every other week that I actually get to play in.

Tony runs a game every other week for the other kids in my Teens game, and I have hopes of recruiting another, since he is burning out a bit.

Megan is making noises about being interested in running a Pathfinder game. She has been playing only since this past summer.

Duncan has also made noises.

Eric has not run a game in over two years, which is a shame, he runs a good Spycraft game set in Canada.

Mike has stated no way, no how, nuh uhn. (He tried GMing, and hated it.)

Mostly though, I'm the one that runs games.

The Auld Grump

SkredlitheOgre

Explorer
We have a group of five, including me. I started DM'ing the campaign, but we switched at a good stopping point and we've been running through Rise of the Runelords for PF. Last night, we got to a good stopping point, and our group was selected to do some beta testing, so we're switching back to me DM'ing that, but since the first module I have to playtest looks like it'll take about an hour, we'll do that, give the feedback, and then we're going to start playing In Nomine by Steve Jackson Games. That'll be run by a third player, with help from the fourth, since they've both played it and GM'd it before.

As far as I know, our fifth player (the wife of the RotR DM) has never DM'd and has no intention to ever do so.

the Jester

Legend
Hummm....

Of our current group- approx. 4 players at the moment, having just lost one, but possibly going back up to 5 or 6 if one or two of the folks on hiatus come back soon- one guy is running a once-in-a-while Mage game with much of our D&D group, but including a player not in the D&D group who is a sometimes dm as well.

There's also another guy who has dmed in the past and probably will again in the future, but my D&D game tends to dominate our rpg time, with the aforementioned Mage game and rare one-shots filling in most of the rest. So God knows when he'll run again.

molepunch

First Post
4 out of 6 of us. However I'm the only one who is actively running a game. The other 3 are of the "thinking about running", and/or "retired DM for now" variety. I have only played in one of DMs' game 5 years ago IIRC.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
how many have GMed in the past, and plan to again At Some Point In The Future?

We have a large group- about 12 total- in which not everyone participates in every campaign.

Of those, all but four would meet the criteria you set out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads