Number of targets for the Mass Hold Person/Monster spells

Zarthon

Explorer
Greetings all,

I was wondering if there is a rule (somewhere) which says how many targets are affected by the Mass Hold Person/Monster spells, Reading the spell I am lead to believe that they will affect ALL eligible targets in the area of effect. (One or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30ft apart)

As a DM I see how this spell can mess up a considerable amount of the encounters I set up for my group.

From a players point of view this spell rules :)

How has this spell played out in your games, and do you think that it needs to be house ruled, (Perhaps something like one target/two levels no two of which can be more than 30ft apart).

What do you think?

Last edited:

Dakkareth

First Post
Zarthon said:
(One or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30ft apart)

This is pretty clear - take a circle with 30' diameter and position it. All creatures within are affected

As a DM I see how this spell can mess up a considerable amount of the encounters I set up for my group.

These are spells of 7th/9th level and thus are designed to be powerful. Also at these levels a dispel magic is never far away. Finally with 3.5e the targets make a save every round and are likely to escape soon anyway.

Zarthon

Explorer
Dakkareth said:
Finally with 3.5e the targets make a save every round and are likely to escape soon anyway.

Thanks for pointing this out to me Dakkareth, we have only recently converted to 3.5 so I'm still trying to get my mind around all the changes to the spells.

Epinephrine

First Post
Zarthon said:
One or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30ft apart

What this seems to suggest to me is the 30' diameter circle, but you pick and choose which creatures within are affected, and you can affect as many as you want. (Compare the wording to "One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart", which no one would rule affects creatures in that circle indiscriminately.)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Epinephrine said:
What this seems to suggest to me is the 30' diameter circle, but you pick and choose which creatures within are affected, and you can affect as many as you want. (Compare the wording to "One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart", which no one would rule affects creatures in that circle indiscriminately.)

Yup. A spell with a "Target: X creatures" entry means you can pick and choose, while with an "Area: X creatures" entry, you can't.

On the other hand, you need to be able to see or touch anyone with the Target spell, but you don't with the Area spell.

Which makes for some amusing debates with Bless and Bane :)

-Hyp.

Remove ads