NZ Virtual Tour.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
What's the RPG gaming look like in Dunedin? That pub looks pretty good. So does the coffee house, and steampunk area.

Zardnaar

Legend
What's the RPG gaming look like in Dunedin? That pub looks pretty good. So does the coffee house, and steampunk area.

For the size it's good due to the University. Local Facebook is 100+ members, RPG club at the uni.

Hard to say but RPG night at gamestore has 3 groups.

Pub is fantastic.

IMG_20200721_175451.jpg

Different pub last night. Free meal on your birthday.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Wrapping up Dunedin. Some more beaches.

Brighton Beach.
Brighton is a small town/suburb about 20-30 minutes away. Semi rural out that way.

IMG_20200119_124931.jpg

More typical overcast day. Water temperature was 14 degrees Celsius in summer. Had lifeguards. Went for a swim any.

IMG_20200119_112333.jpg

More Brighton Beach.

IMG_20200119_112451.jpg

Rugby field beside the beach. Notice the sky. Went from sunny day to overcast in a few minutes.

Zardnaar

Legend
This is Tunnel Beach. Very close to where I live 5-10 minutes drive. You could cycle or walk there if you were keen enough.

IMG_20191026_153848.jpg

Nice walk down a hill to get there. 5 minutes down, ten years coming up.

IMG_20191026_155637.jpg

You get down to the bottom and you can sit on the rocks and admire the view.

IMG_20191026_154818.jpg

The beach is named after a tunnel that was made in the 19th century. Walk through the tunnel......

IMG_20191026_155049.jpg

IMG_20191026_155100.jpg

Not a recommended place for a swim.
Short video of Tunnel Beach.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Leaving Dunedin we're gonna go an hour north to my hometown as such of Oamaru.

A town if 13000 people it services the local farming communities. Didn't like it growing up it's a small town. Looking back plenty of worse places to grow up.

Cape Wanbrow overlooking the harbor.

FB_IMG_1593067955211.jpg

The cape was a fun place to go growing up. Pine plantation, bunkers left over from the war years caves to explore.

Another view.
FB_IMG_1593067933124.jpg

Photos via my sister. In the distance you can see the Southern Alps. Mount Cook/Aoeaki is the tallest peak at 3700 metres.

Oamaru is famous for limestone Victorian buildings, a blue penguin colony and steampunk.

2 minute clip.

It also has yellow eyed penguins. Used to collect Paua/abalone at one if the beaches and play dodge the sea lion or seal.

Recent drive through Oamaru during lockdown.

And penguins.

Tourist like em, they were roadkill in the 80s. Colony was built in the 90s and nesting boxes have been built along the coast to try and keep them out of nesting in basements.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Christchurch might be the best city to live in here. It's big enough to do most things, great location, pretty, and avoids Auckland's problems. Also good location for heading inland.

I agree, I use to go to Otago (and lived for a while in Cromwell) but if I ever relocated to the South Island I think Christchurch would have been my choice (at least before the earthquake)

Zardnaar

Legend
I agree, I use to go to Otago (and lived for a while in Cromwell) but if I ever relocated to the South Island I think Christchurch would have been my choice (at least before the earthquake)

Born in Cromwell.

Didn't like Christchurch in 90s. Even in noughties it had some issues in CBD.

Remove ads