• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E O Plate Mail, Where art Thou?

Curmudjinn

Explorer
You could break the starting gold down by level easily. If you begin with 500 (frgetting the random amount) at 5th level and 5,000 at 11th level, that breaks down to 750gp for each level after 5th up to 11th.

By that more-useful breakdown, 7th level would net you 2,000gp, enough for plate. You would add +2,500GP per level at 12 to reach the 20,000gp by 17th level quota.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
Psikerlord, read my first sentence again. I was speaking to folks like you. The benefits of plate anod cost are on part with a rare magic item. The cost and availability are intentional...

HEEGZ

First Post
In my games, plate mail/plated mail/coats of plate are all the same AC as splint armor, and share the same stats. They are all transitional armors that are a step below full plate, but a step above a mail hauberk. I also reflavor ringmail as brigandine armor. Half plate is the same as Greek/Roman armors, like a hoplite or legionaire with helm, breastplate, greaves and bracers.

Remathilis

Legend
what? how is plate like a rare magic item... it's nonmagical and any armourer can make it with the right materials. I give my players plate by about 3rd level, if not earlier. It's a nerf to paladins/fighters to keep plate from them for too long. Then again many say just go dex warrior anyway <shrug>

1.) Relative power. It has the highest nonmagical AC you can acquire without a shield (or feat). So while it is "nonmagical" and purchasable, its as powerful as say, +1 half-plate or +1 splint.
2.) Its cost is between an uncommon (500 gp) and rare (5000 gp) magic item. Realistically, a PC shouldn't be able to buy it or make it before 3rd, and probably between 4th and 6th before it really becomes available.
3.) It most certainly is NOT a nerf. As stated, its one higher than the moderately priced split or the half-cost half-plate. Full plate is more of a status symbol than a mathematical necessity.

1.) Relative power. It has the highest nonmagical AC you can acquire without a shield (or feat). So while it is "nonmagical" and purchasable, its as powerful as say, +1 half-plate or +1 splint.

That's a bit like claiming that chain mail (part of the starting gear for fighters) is as powerful as Bracers of Defense. I'm not seeing it. And it's quite odd that you consider nonmagical plate armor to be rarer and more expensive than mithril/adamantine plate armor. I think you are inferring the wrong things from the 500 gp "construction price" for uncommon magic items. But, YMMV.

Last edited:

eryndel

Explorer
Full plate is more of a status symbol than a mathematical necessity.

Similar to how it was in it's real history. Dammit, don't tell me this 5th edition is a sim game! ;)

In regards to the OP, yeah the rarity of full plate, much like magic items, will be very much up to the style and theme of the campaign and the GM. If you're playing in the Horde of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat, I'd recommend as an alternative, getting in good with one of the factions throughout the game. The Order of the Gauntlet would probably fit your character themes pretty well. And when you've helped them out with their problems, they can maybe help you out with yours (notably, the lack of stylish armor). If you're playing in an Adventurer's League game, there's even some mechanical benefits for allying with a faction, so maybe that can be part of turning in a favor.

It's good to know people :) Talk to your DM about your goals, so (s)he can help make that happen.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads