• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E O Plate Mail, Where art Thou?

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Well since this discussion is about plate armour (and AC) and the Dex fighter typically has a lower AC and doesn't wear plate anyway I'm not sure what your point is. I wouldn't say that the strength based fighter isn't worth playing regardless of feats

Yes, someone else already got to it, but....
The Dex fighter only has lower AC if plate armor is available. If plate armor is non-existent, then the Dex fighter will match the AC and surpass the damage of the Str fighter unless the Str fighter is using that one specific build I mentioned.... plus, will be able to use Stealth and have a much better initiative allowing them to go first and will take less damage from just about anything that allows a save.

You need Dex 18 to match the AC of someone in Chainmail (or Scalemail and 14 Dex) and Dex 20 to match someone in splint mail (or half-plate and 14 Dex). Only with Platemail available can the Str fighter surpass the AC of the Dex fighter.

Now, granted, the only way to start with an 18 if you use standard array is if you are an Elf, Half-Elf or Halfling, though I don't know that is a real drawback.

Dausuul

Legend
To the OP's question, based on this thread, it would be reasonable to expect plate around 6th level if relying solely on your own share of loot.

If the rest of the party is willing to let you borrow from them (a reasonable request; a tougher tank is good for everyone, and the casters are too low-level to need big money for spell components), you could get it around 4th.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads