• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E O Plate Mail, Where art Thou?

LittleElvis

First Post
I'm still pretty new to 5E, but I joined the Tiamat campaign with a paladin on the night the party leveled up from 4th to 5th. The DM mentioned that plate is much harder to come by, so I started with Splint instead. No problem.

But I'm curious: around what level my paladin might (or should) realistically be able to afford or acquire plate mail in this edition? Thanks.

Tormyr

Hero
It really depends on how your DM doles out treasure or if you can pick it off a dead body. Plate costs 1,500gp in the PHB. That can be a long time when treasure is distributed throughout the party. There is no recommended treasure by level anymore.

Klaus

First Post
By the guidelines on page 38 of the DMG (Creating Higher Level Characters), you'd only be able to afford Plate around 11th level. Of course, through playing there's a chance a suit of plate might show up earlier, depending on the rolls in the treasure tables and the DM's campaign.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Think of full plate as being a magic item, taking note that light and medium armor cap out at 17 ac with maximum dexterity, whereas full plate hits 18.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Just loot plate from an enemy and have it readjusted to fit you. Also loot loot loot everything until you can buy that armour! Take the tool proficiency and make it yourself for half price (or whatever the rule is)

Tormyr

Hero
Just loot plate from an enemy and have it readjusted to fit you. Also loot loot loot everything until you can buy that armour! Take the tool proficiency and make it yourself for half price (or whatever the rule is)

It takes a long time to make a set of plate. Although arguably not as long as ten levels.

jgsugden

Legend
There are a lot of traditional ideas on what values different objects and magic items should have in D&D ... that need to be thrown out the window for 5E. In the end, 5E doesn't rely upon access to special gear as much as prior editions, so there really is no level by which you must find it.

Platemail is the equivalent of a rare magic item. There is a small chance you might find something that powerful at levels 1 through 4... a moderate chance that something like that will fall into your hands as you go from 5 to 8... and you probably should be able to find something like it sometime before you get to 9th or 10th level... However, I said something like it. Not platemail in particular. You might find magical scale, a ring of protection, or something else that lets you get to that level of defense. Or, perhaps, your defense will lag while you benefit from a better weapon... It is all in the hands of the DM.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
There are a lot of traditional ideas on what values different objects and magic items should have in D&D ... that need to be thrown out the window for 5E. In the end, 5E doesn't rely upon access to special gear as much as prior editions, so there really is no level by which you must find it.

Platemail is the equivalent of a rare magic item. There is a small chance you might find something that powerful at levels 1 through 4... a moderate chance that something like that will fall into your hands as you go from 5 to 8... and you probably should be able to find something like it sometime before you get to 9th or 10th level... However, I said something like it. Not platemail in particular. You might find magical scale, a ring of protection, or something else that lets you get to that level of defense. Or, perhaps, your defense will lag while you benefit from a better weapon... It is all in the hands of the DM.

what? how is plate like a rare magic item... it's nonmagical and any armourer can make it wiht the right materials. I give me players plate by about 3rd level, if not earlier.

Psikerlord#

Explorer

what? how is plate like a rare magic item... it's nonmagical and any armourer can make it with the right materials. I give my players plate by about 3rd level, if not earlier. It's a nerf to paladins/fighters to keep plate from them for too long. Then again many say just go dex warrior anyway <shrug>

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads