• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E O Plate Mail, Where art Thou?

Remathilis

Legend
That's a bit like claiming that chain mail (part of the starting gear for fighters) is as powerful as Bracers of Defense. I'm not seeing it. And it's quite odd that you consider nonmagical plate armor to be rarer and more expensive than mithral/adamintine plate armor. I think you are inferring the wrong things from the 500 gp "construction price" for uncommon magic items. But, YMMV.

The difference being there is no other way to get an 18 without a shield or medium-armor mastery. Yeah, its a flimsy, but if you have to justify its high price tag...

In truth, cost aside its probably worth a common or weak uncommon item.

aramis erak

Legend
Plate is 300 man-days to make.
Splint +1 is 40 man days to make the armor, then 200 wizard days to enchant it.

If you're crafting a set, you're able to get either for about the same lead time, but you're paying an extra 4250gp for the +1 splint, in exchange for 15 pounds less encumbrance and 60 days less time.

(Truth is, the smith probably is using 3 apprentices to make that plate in about 75 days...)

Plate is 300 man-days to make.
Splint +1 is 40 man days to make the armor, then 200 wizard days to enchant it.

If you're crafting a set, you're able to get either for about the same lead time, but you're paying an extra 4250gp for the +1 splint, in exchange for 15 pounds less encumbrance and 60 days less time.

(Truth is, the smith probably is using 3 apprentices to make that plate in about 75 days...)

Also, you need to find the Very Rare formula for +1 splint armor before you can start.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The difference being there is no other way to get an 18 without a shield or medium-armor mastery

You could play as a Barbarian or a Monk and have it by level 8 (or possibly even 4), if you wanted to.
Having plate unavailable at or after that level would be unnecessarily punitive to the classes that could use it, unless you compensate in some other fashion.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
You could play as a Barbarian or a Monk and have it by level 8 (or possibly even 4), if you wanted to.
Having plate unavailable at or after that level would be unnecessarily punitive to the classes that could use it, unless you compensate in some other fashion.

So are you saying that light armor wearers are being unnecessarily punished just by being light armor wearers?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
So are you saying that light armor wearers are being unnecessarily punished just by being light armor wearers?

Now, I am inebriated at the moment (happy new year btw) but I believe I meant that classes who use light armor are given class features to compensate for the lack of plate armor. The other "frontline" non-plate classes (monk and barbarian, also druid maybe) get extra armor, damage reduction, and/or temporary hp granting class features to compensate them for not getting plate. Classes that aren't frontline get other things.

In short, Plate proficiency is a class feature that should be realized no later than level 8, imo.

aramis erak

Legend
A Dex 16 character can be Dex 18 at level 4, and thus have Studded Leather (AC12) and +4 from Dex, and if a fighter with the Defense style, a +1 further... and be AC 17 at level 4, and at level 8, push that to a +5 from dex, and hit AC18.

If he rolled an 18 dex (rather than used an array) or rolled a 16+ and took a race with +2 dex bonus, he can start at AC 17 as a fighter in studded, and AC 16 as any other class allowed studded, pushing to AC 18 at Level 4 fighter.

Uchawi

First Post
As mentioned, dex builds work pretty good for both offensive (including ranged) and defensive purposes, so I would not go out of my way as a DM to limit plate. But since 5E is fairly simple, you have to place everything on the table in regards to what players may obtain, whether it is spells, feats, armor, weapon, magic items, kits, etc. If you are going to make it a pain to obtain plate, then corresponding spells, feats, etc. should also be considered.

Remove ads