D&D 5E o/~ We dislike the spells, the spells that go boom. o/~ (Thunder Damage)

jgsugden

Legend
How loud is thunder damage in your game? How far away can it be heard?

In the real world - in typical outdoor conditions: Artillery and volcanoes have been heard from nearly 200 miles away. Thunder can be heard up to 10 miles from the lightning strike. A typical person's voice can be intelligibly heard nearly 600 feet away, and heard unintelligbly miles away (and over calm water in still air there are reports of screaming behind heard as far as 10 miles away).

With that in mind: Do you read the last part of the Thunderwave description ("...and the spell emits a thunderous boom audible out to 300 feet") as the thunder being magically limited to 300 feet because, you know, a thunderous boom can usually be heard much further away ... or do you treat it as the boom can be heard further than you might expect - as far as 300 feet away? And how do other sounds impact this distance - is it the same if you're in Limbo's howling winds or a silent dungeon?

Similarly, Thuderclap can be heard 100 feet away. With all due respect to the spell, give me a soda and I'll generate a sound that can be heard more than 100 feet away.

Many spells that deal thunder damage do not give a distance at which they can be heard. Booming Blade, Destructive Wave, Shatter,

The PHB describes thunder damage as a concussive burst of sound. Is it mostly concussive, or mostly sound for you?

There is not a lot of guidance in the official rules. The DMG notes that the ringing in the ears caused by a Thunderwave spell might be enough to give a PC disadvantage on a perception check performed after the spell has been cast - so clearly it makes a lot of noise, right?

Why is a creature in a silence spell immune to thunder damage if it is concussive damage? And why do you get blasted back by a Thunderwave spell cast into silence even if you take no damage if the silence were to negate the concussive force?

And what about the attacks of monsters that deal thunder damage - most of them do not specify a range at which they can be heard.

No right answers are possible, obviously, as any answer contradicts something - so which wrong answers do you apply?

In the rules, the spells only do what they say they do. So, thunder damage is silent unless specified otherwise. There are a few choice spells with audible cues (Thunderwave comes to mind, but some spells like Booming blade or, despite its description, Toll the dead (necrotic) do not).

In the real world - in typical outdoor conditions: Artillery and volcanoes have been heard from nearly 200 miles away. Thunder can be heard up to 10 miles from the lightning strike. A typical person's voice can be intelligibly heard nearly 600 feet away, and heard unintelligbly miles away (and over calm water in still air there are reports of screaming behind heard as far as 10 miles away).

In the real world, light can be seen from far away, yet it is absorbed quickly in 5e.

I choose to follow verisimilitude in this case. A fireball can be seen kilometers away in the night when cast on a mountaintop, despite, err, providing no light by RAW. Same with sound-emitting spells. If a bell tolls, it is going to be heard. I know it's neither the wording nor the intent of the rules.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
The DMG notes "The groaning creak of an opening door can echo down hundreds of feet of passageway" (p.105).
If that's the case, then pretty much any sound travels anywhere in a dungeon.

So much for stealthy murderhobos! 🤷‍♂️

Oofta

Legend
It is heard out to the distance of plot. ;) That, and what I think makes sense. So in other words I think of how far something could be clearly heard out to 300 feet for thunderwave and use that as a guideline. In some cases it might be heard further, but I'm assuming it's not echoing from on high, and real thunder is really, really loud. So something that could be heard 300 feet away so depending on where you live, about a block away. A loud car backfire? A gun being fired? Thunderclap? More like pounding a hammer.

As far as light ... I don't know what to say. If you cast a fireball on a clear dark night on a mountaintop and someone happens to be looking they might see the flash from several miles away. I don't care what the rules do or do not say.

I know how sound (and light) works in the real world, so I base it off of that. Sometimes it will carry further, sometimes less. The value given in the book is an average.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

With that in mind: Do you read the last part of the Thunderwave description ("...and the spell emits a thunderous boom audible out to 300 feet") as the thunder being magically limited to 300 feet because, you know, a thunderous boom can usually be heard much further away ... or do you treat it as the boom can be heard further than you might expect - as far as 300 feet away? And how do other sounds impact this distance - is it the same if you're in Limbo's howling winds or a silent dungeon?

Similarly, Thuderclap can be heard 100 feet away. With all due respect to the spell, give me a soda and I'll generate a sound that can be heard more than 100 feet away.

Many spells that deal thunder damage do not give a distance at which they can be heard. Booming Blade, Destructive Wave, Shatter,

The PHB describes thunder damage as a concussive burst of sound. Is it mostly concussive, or mostly sound for you?

There is not a lot of guidance in the official rules. The DMG notes that the ringing in the ears caused by a Thunderwave spell might be enough to give a PC disadvantage on a perception check performed after the spell has been cast - so clearly it makes a lot of noise, right?

Why is a creature in a silence spell immune to thunder damage if it is concussive damage? And why do you get blasted back by a Thunderwave spell cast into silence even if you take no damage if the silence were to negate the concussive force?

And what about the attacks of monsters that deal thunder damage - most of them do not specify a range at which they can be heard.

No right answers are possible, obviously, as any answer contradicts something - so which wrong answers do you apply?
+1 for the L’Trimm reference!

Generally, we’ve ignored the flavor/mechanics that don’t make sense- thunderclaps should be THUNDEROUS!

Shiroiken

Legend
IMO thunder damage is a short concussive burst and sonic energy. The sonic component has no effect inside a magical silence, but the concussion might have some other effect (like shoving). The distance heard is not necessarily the limit of the sound, but how far it would be significantly noticed. Combat itself is pretty loud, so it's going to be heard some distance away, but unless you're dealing with a dead quiet location, it will be lost among ambient sounds. It's likely that someone might hear a thunderwave more than 300 ft away, but is likely to be be nothing more than "did you hear something?" The wording of these spell specifically denotes that they will be clearly heard within this range, alerting creatures to the effect (as my group refers to it: "ringing the dinner bell").

And don't forget the knock spell!
For some strange reason.
I was annoyed with this at first, but I figured it was a good way to keep the wizard from stepping on the rogue's toes. Then I noticed it wasn't a ritual... So the spell costs a resource, while the rogue can do it infinitely . The spells alerts everyone to the effect, while the rogue does not. IMO it should either be a ritual or get rid of the sound effect.

Dausuul

Legend
In the real world - in typical outdoor conditions...
Ah, but in D&D, conditions are typically not outdoors (traditionally, anyhow). It takes a very loud sound indeed to be audible at 300 feet in a subterranean dungeon, with who knows how many stone walls and heavy closed doors in the way. I'd assume the given ranges are meant for dungeon crawls. Outdoors, they ought to be much longer; if I were inclined to bother making a house rule for it, I might multiply the range by 20 in open air.

For spells like booming blade without a given range, I'd say they make audible sounds, but no louder than the ordinary sounds of combat. Being "sheathed in booming energy" that blasts you if you move is a bizarre effect that makes no kind of sense; saying "People outside the energy only hear a low noise" doesn't make it any more unrealistic than it was before.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases