D&D 5E Odd things in the rules that bug you?

FarBeyondC

Explorer
Looking in at the last bits of the ranger thread (It's official, WOTC hates Rangers (Tasha's version of Favored Foe is GARBAGE)), got me to thinking about barding (particularly as a solution to the "low ac" complaints being raised there) and it's there I run into a problem. A big problem. Barding weighs twice as much as the equivalent humanoid armor - regardless of the size of the creature it was made for.

Like, what? How does that even begin to make sense?

The idea that barding for tiny creatures and barding for gargantuan creatures somehow weighs the same is something that boggles my mind.

But what boggles yours?

Arvok

Explorer
The idea that a normal work week is 5 days with a 2 day weekend. I can't recall if that's stated explicitly in the core rulebooks, but I do remember Xanathar's stating that. Also, there seems to be a notion that most people work about 8 hours a day.

It hurts my brain to think that the designers honestly think a 40 hour work week is the norm not just throughout the world, but throughout history.

aco175

Legend
Would halfling plate weight be the same as human sized plate? I would think not. I think the weight is for medium-size armor and small-size should be scaled as appropriate. A horse is large in 5e so the armor weighs more than that for a large troll, does not sound right. Most likely having to do with carrying capacity being 1.5

Arvok

Explorer
The idea that it takes just as long to don mail armor as it does a suit of plate. Or that it takes just as long to don a hauberk as it does a breastplate. And that you can just as easily don a breastplate by yourself as you can a hauberk.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Looking in at the last bits of the ranger thread (It's official, WOTC hates Rangers (Tasha's version of Favored Foe is GARBAGE)), got me to thinking about barding (particularly as a solution to the "low ac" complaints being raised there) and it's there I run into a problem. A big problem. Barding weighs twice as much as the equivalent humanoid armor - regardless of the size of the creature it was made for.

Like, what? How does that even begin to make sense?

The idea that barding for tiny creatures and barding for gargantuan creatures somehow weighs the same is something that boggles my mind.

But what boggles yours?

Barding weight is a carry over from older editions where heavier armor hit your move speed & a mount could let you sidestep it. Unfortunately they removed that & the other subjective elements from armor/weapons & mounts were generally fairly pointless as a result but barding wasn't changed. Weight modifiers for armor built for creatures that were bigger/smaller than medium is another thing that was inexplicably cut in the process.

My gripe is how every aspect* of so many spells feel like they were balanced as if each & every individual component needs to do the heavy lifting to ensure that spell won't be a key part of things like CoDzilla or linear fighter, quadratic wizard while 5e inverts lfqw at increasing pace as extra attacks give larger & larger multipliers to feats magic items, & so forth to the martial side of that curve. It's hard to tell but it looks like TCoE might be experimenting with some caster tools among those items & class features that acknowledge the inversion is something that needs some tools for 5e's linear side.

* duration, range concentration, damage, etc

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases