Official Class/Race Satisfaction Survey

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Am I only person who's way more disappointed in the Sorcerer than literally any other class/archetype? I mean I know the Beastmaster (and to a lesser extent the Way of the Four Elements Monk) certainly seem much weaker than they are, but the Sorcerer (and to a lesser extent the Berserker) actually are at a significant disadvantage due to their design, and few people seem to bat so much as an eyelash over them.

The beastmaster and 4e monk are weaker. But they're just subclasses. The Sorcerer is a weak class. Personally I fix it by trimming the Wizard's spell list.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
The beastmaster and 4e monk are weaker. But they're just subclasses. The Sorcerer is a weak class. Personally I fix it by trimming the Wizard's spell list.

The actual weakness of the BM and 4E are often far overstated. The BM and arguably the 4E Monk give up more and gain less in return than other archetypes in their classes (especially when we consider Xanathar archetypes for those classes) but neither are anywhere near as bad off as say, the Berserker. Mathematically, the two archetypes aren't actually that far removed from other PC options; the much larger gap is the one that exists between the 4E Monk & BM and the expectations those classes have had placed on them (to be closer to a full caster and to break the action economy over its knees, respectively). The Berserker, meanwhile, is heavily disadvantaged but could be simply fixed by making exhaustion not so absurdly difficult to remove (a Long Rest or a 5th level spell to only reduce a single level of exhaustion? That's it?!?).

The Sorcerer, by contrast, is much more mechanically challenged, possesses little to recommend it over the Wizard, and is often forced to ignore their one key interesting and unique feature to keep an even footing on spell slots. I personally go the other direction and give Sorcerer access to far more spells in order to help them become more of the "theme" caster. I've tried different things to help with the metamagic issue, but I haven't quite figure it out yet.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I went potentially overboard with metamagic. I gave them all of the metamagics, and then let them chose ones to have discounted by 1.

Objectively neither the sorcerer or the berserker is anywhere near as weak as is often made out on the forums. They do have a problem in that the play style necessary to be highly effective is 180 degrees opposite of the one most commonly associated with those (sub)classes. Both would have benefited from designs that better supported a simpler playing style.

guachi

Hero
Out of curiosity, how did you rate options (classes etcetera) that seemed like they were good quality, but regarding a concept that you personally had less interest in?

I rated them either neutral or disappointed.

Example: Warlocks. I love the mix and match of the Warlock class with patrons and Invocations. Love it. But there's something about the class I just don't find appealing. I don't think I'd ever play one. Ever.

So I think every Warlock subclass was rated neutral or lower (mostly neutral, IIRC).

Mostly, it boils down to however you define "satisfied" and I settled on "would enjoy playing/want to play that class or subclass".

Last edited:

Does anyone think we will have concrete result derivated from this survey?
By concrete, I mean errata, or some kind of official option like an optional version of the GWM feat

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
By concrete, I mean errata, or some kind of official option like an optional version of the GWM feat

Errata or optional versions? I doubt it.

to have it effect new content is what I would expect.

Well... the survey is out now. And revised books with errata are out in two weeks and were sent to the printers a good month back.
So... I’m guessing “no”.

Remove ads