D&D 4E Official Unofficial 4E Rules FAQ

Thasmodious

First Post
Agamon said:
I call BS on the staff thing. First, you can hold a wand or orb in one hand, so you should be able to hold a staff in one hand, too.

You can't make a melee attack with a wand or orb.

Plus, the differentiation between "staff" the magical item and "quarterstaff" the weapon has been around since the beginning of D&D and is still there in 4e. Staff, the implement, is not a weapon, and therefore does not need to be wielded in two hands.

No, it hasn't. Magical staffs have always served as weapons as well. The staff description in the magic item section of the PHB specifically says it is a melee weapon as well as a magical implement, just as the pact blade. And the wizard entry does indeed say you must wield the staff to use it. So RAW, the staffers answer is correct.

That said, I see no problem in houseruling that a wizard can use a staff in one hand and a weapon in the other,

Ziana

First Post
From Tony, Wizards Customer Service, 06/16/2008 08:26 PM
1. Does attacking (melee or ranged, using an at-will power) with a weapon with the Frost Weapon enchantment constitute "hitting with a power that has the cold keyword" for the purpose of the Lasting Frost feat? That is, will using an Frost Weapon enchanted sword with its at-will cold power enabled, trigger Lasting Frost if the player has the feat?
2. Does the same apply to triggering Winter Touched?

1. The power will have to have the cold keyword, not the implement or weapon used to deliver the attack.

2. Again, the power you are using will have to have the cold keyword.

(This might be seen to contradict a reading of page 226)

UPDATE:

This answer has been superceded by CSR Joe:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=16141521&postcount=22
I thought I understood the rules on this point but someone posted what is purported to be a customer service response (shown below) that seems to contradict the rules on pare 226.

[Ziana comment: he included my response I received above]

The rules on page 226 say that you add the keywords of an item power to the keywords of the class power. I'm hoping for a better explanation of what this rule means if, in fact, this is an actual correct response and a frost weapon does not work with the lasting frost feat.

[From Joe, Wizard CSR]:
I apologize for the confusion in the ranks.

As PHB page 226 states, using a weapon with a keyword in an attack made with a racial or class power, the power you are using does gain the weapon's keyword.

Thus making using attack with a Frost Weapon makes that power be Cold as well as whatever other types of damage it was. If you use the weapon's free action power, all damage will be cold.

This will function with both the Winter Touched and Lasting Frost feats.

Again, I apologize for the previously incorrect answer.

Good Gaming!

This makes the Wintertouched + Lasting Frost + Frost Weapon combo legal.

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Otterscrubber said:
From what I understand the only dice that get maximized are the base weapon damage dice. If there are any other dice to be rolled, such as extra dice from it being a magic weapon or sneak attack, those are all rolled normally. It seems pretty clear.
Yes, its pretty clear - you maximize all the damage you would do with the attack had it not been a crit and then you roll for the extra you get because it's a crit.

So, Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry, Warlock's Curse, all get maximized.

Like the CSR said, it's that simple.

steppen

Explorer
The Initiate of the Faith multiclass feat says that you can use the Healing Word power once per day. The Healing Word power has a Special line that says that it can be used twice per encounter. What can you do with the Multiclass feat?
Use the power only once total for the day?
-OR -
Use the power twice during the day, basically shifting the "twice per encounter" wording to the daily timeframe?
-OR-
Use the power only during one encounter per day, but use it twice during that encounter?

[sblock]Greetings,

With the Initiate of the Faith multi class feat, you can use the Healing Word power exactly one time per day. Please let me know if you need anymore help!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.

Tony
Customer Service Representative
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST[/sblock]

beverson

First Post
Oldtimer said:
Yes, its pretty clear - you maximize all the damage you would do with the attack had it not been a crit and then you roll for the extra you get because it's a crit.

So, Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry, Warlock's Curse, all get maximized.

Like the CSR said, it's that simple.

No. Extra damage like Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry, and Warlock's Curse are NEVER maximized on a crit...only the base WEAPON damage, i.e. that which is referenced by the [W]. PHB pg. 278 (crits), PHB pg 276 (example of extra dmg from a thundering weapon on a crit), PHB pg 131 (Warlock's Curse - extra damage is applied AFTER the damage roll, same wording for SA and HQ)

Ziana

First Post
beverson said:
No. Extra damage like Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry, and Warlock's Curse are NEVER maximized on a crit.
SA, HQ, and Cu occur whether or not there's been a crit. They're part of the damage of the attack.

Only damage added by the crit itself is not maximized: that includes magic weapon bonus damage, Devastating Critical, implements, and high-crit weapons.

Answer from CS:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1044678

1. On a critical hit, are the die rolls for Sneak Attack or Hunter's Quarry maximized as well?

Yes, both of those attack types are maximized. What is NOT maximized is the any damage that is assigned from a magical weapon on critical hits only. Those are listed with each weapon type and rolled each time a critical is landed. For instance if you take a look at Vicious Weapons it deals 1d12 per plus on a critical. A +4 vicious weapon deals max damage + random 4d12 roll.

Underage AOLer

First Post
First post updated with the new questions.

I'd say it is pretty clear sneak attack and hunter's quarry damage is maximized. Then again, I am just a cataloger, not an interpreter.

Particle_Man

Explorer
How does slow interact with double moves, heavy armor, running and charging?

[sblock=]Q: If one is slowed, how many squares can one travel with a double move?
A: 2 and then 2

Q: If one is slowed, can one move two squares, take a minor action, and move two more squares (making one’s standard action a move action)?
A: Yes

Q: If one is slowed, does heavy armor further slow one’s movement to less than two?
A: No, your speed is set to 2

Q: If one is slowed, can one run? If so, how many squares does one travel?
A: 2 speed +2 for running

Q: If one is slowed, can one charge? If so, how many squares does one travel?
A: Yes and 2[/sblock]

btw, the above was "escalated it for further review" so it was decided at a higher level than 1 Cust Serv guy (don't know if that means more than 1, or head Cust Serv, or what).

Can one shift while one is prone, or must one stand up first?

[sblock=]Shifting represents careful, tactical movement, and you would not be able to move in such a way while laying on the ground. Although it is not specifically detailed in the rules, the spirit of the game suggests that you must be standing to be able to shift. Because it is not specifically stated, however, your DM will have the final say.[/sblock]

Ziana

First Post
This answer is "by the book" and doesn't offer a lot of insight, leaving it up to the DM.

Rangers can use two weapons in combat, and many rogues may also wish to take the Two Weapon Fighting feat for the benefit it offers. Does drawing two weapons, one in each hand, count as one Minor Action, or two? Likewise, does sheathing two weapons take one minor action or two? If two, this would appear to mean that switching from dual-wielding to a bow/crossbow or vice-versa is a full-turn action (3 minor actions), correct?

Finally, the Quick Draw feat would appear to allow pulling two weapons out simultaneously, if they are used for the attack power. Would a rogue with Two Weapon Fighting be able to do the same in order to enjoy the benefit of having a weapon in each hand, even if they are using an attack power that makes use of only one weapon?

From Evan T., Wizard's Customer Service, 06/18/2008
According to the rules, you can draw 'a weapon' as a minor action. There are not specific rules for drawing two weapons, so this would be up to your DM to make the call. Likewise, for quick draw, you can draw both weapons if they are both being used as part of an attack. If you are only using one weapon as part of the attack, it would once again be up to your DM to make a call on this ruling.

hamishspence

Adventurer
halfling staffs

the previous answer said Must be wielded in two hands. and Counts as quarterstaff. Given that quarterstaffs cannot be wielded at all by halflings, is their an exception for the staff implement?

My guess is, at best, it will be: "used in two hands as an implement. not usuable as a melee weapon at all" for halflings.

I'd rather they gave it the small keyword, but I doubt it will happen.

Do versatile weapons wielded in two hands count as two handed weapons for the purpose of various feats and powers (power attack in particular)?

What about halflings, who MUST wield them two handed?

If they do not, it completely removes any reason for halflings to take those powers.

Remove ads