OGL 1.1... quote the lawyers (and link)

I am a lawyer. I have no professional expertise on this topic, have not done any specific research, and am not providing legal advice. This is based on my understanding of general U.S. contract law and other lawyers I have seen/read discussing this issue.

As an overriding principle, where a contract's terms are clear, a court will not look beyond the four corners of the document. However, if terms are missing or ambiguous, a court will try to determine the objective intent of the parties as to that term - i.e. what the parties would would have said if the issue had been spelled out in the contract.

Here the OGL 1.0 is silent as to whether or not it is revocable. (Alternatively it is ambiguous as to whether "perpetual" revers to revocation or merely duration; I think the overall analysis is the same either way). Thus a court would look at the intent of the parties on the issue.

Without delving deeply into the facts, I think it is clear that the licensee and licensors believed that OGL 1.0 was irrevocable. The FAQ and statements by Ryan Dancy discussed in other threads are clear on this. Other considerations a court could look to on this are the course of performance (WotC did not revoke the OGL over twenty years, despite revising the terms for 4E, and even when Pathfinder eclipsed D&D in the market; this suggests that it was understood to be irrevocable) and the reasonable commercial expectations of the parties (no reasonable company would build their entire business around licensed content if they understood that their license could be revoked by their main competitor at a moment's notice).

Yes, there are cases holding that "perpetual" licenses can be revoked at will. This seems to be the basis for other lawyers who have expressed the opinion that OGL 1.0 is revocable. However, without having reviewed those cases, I would assume that those courts did so based on an analysis of the specific facts at issue there. Put differently, based on my understanding of the principles of U.S. contract law, I would be VERY surprised if any case has held that were a contract is silent as to revocability, it is per se revocable, even where the parties had a contrary intent.

In sum, I believe OGL is irrevocable; while the actual license is silent, the parties' intent that it be irrevocable is clear. That said, WotC will be able to cite a number of cases holding (on different facts) perpetual license agreements are revocable, so they should be able to present at least a colorable case if they want to challenge this. I wouldn't underestimate the ability of savvy lawyers, in a high-stakes case such as this from putting up a good fight.

As a practical matter, I think any litigation between WotC and the major players (e.g., Paizo) will settle. In my experience most companies are risk-adverse; where stakes are very high for both sides, and neither has a clear slam-dunk case, they are going to settle for a compromise they can live with rather than rolling the dice. This means the revocability of OGL 1.0 may remain an unresolved issue that deters publishers from using it for a long time, even if the argument for it is weak.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I just read the case, following your link in the other thread. The part of your post I've bolded was confined to the context of that case: they were stock characters and stock abilities. The case didn't overturn or question the soundness of the Streetfighter case that held otherwise in respect of certain imaginative special abilities.
Which one is the Street Fighter case? Capcom U.S.A. Inc. v. Data East Corp.?

The Wikipedia article on that case has links to two others that found some game elements can be copyrighted: Tetris v. Xio and Spry Fox, LLC v. Lolapps, Inc. @S'mon has mentioned that the OGL is still a safer option because of the safe harbor, which I assume is because it’s not settled just where the idea stops and expression begins for tabletop RPGs.

pemerton

Legend
@ninjayeti

What you say is (broadly) in line with the ideas that @Steel_Wind, @S'mon and I (with varying degrees of expertise and certainty) have been kicking around in the PSA thread.

Your point about the construction of the contract occurring in context rather than in a "per se" or mechanical fashion I think is especially important to stress for readers who are less familiar with how the process of legal interpretation works.

S'mon

Legend
Yes, there are cases holding that "perpetual" licenses can be revoked at will. This seems to be the basis for other lawyers who have expressed the opinion that OGL 1.0 is revocable. However, without having reviewed those cases, I would assume that those courts did so based on an analysis of the specific facts at issue there.

Yes, indeed that's what I found when I looked.

pemerton

Legend
Which one is the Street Fighter case? Capcom U.S.A. Inc. v. Data East Corp.?
Yep. I haven't read it, but it is set out and analysed, at least in part, in the Davinci case.

@S'mon[/USER] has mentioned that the OGL is still a safer option because of the safe harbor, which I assume is because it’s not settled just where the idea stops and expression begins for tabletop RPGs.
The other reason is because, as a matter of fact, heaps of stuff published under the OGL reproduces others' copyrighted text, or text and expression closely related to or derived from others' copyrighted text. Which is not a coincidence - that's exactly the state of affairs the OGL is meant to encourage!

But it means that keeping the work much the same but stripping away the OGL creates the risk of exposure to liability for copyright infringement.

Burt Baccara

Explorer
Some more, not lawyer quotes, but WotC material:

Software FAQ, Version 1.0 -- January 26, 2004, from wizards.com

Other Licenses: Frequently Asked Questions, Version 2.0 -- January 26, 2004

Open Game License: Frequently Asked Questions, Version 2.0 -- January 26, 2004 (note: this page was live until at least a Nov. 27, 2021 capture by archive.org https://web.archive.org/web/20211127200600/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/oglfaq/20040123f)

System Reference Document: Frequently Asked Questions
Key bit here:
Q: There's a lot of material in the SRD that seems too simple to copyright or comes from the public domain. Why does Wizards of the Coast call the whole thing Open Game Content (OGL)?

A: One of the objectives of the OGL/d20 project is to create a "safe harbor" that clearly identifies material that can be used, derived from, modified, and distributed without fear of litigation. To that end, the SRD contains material that is public domain, copyright, and somewhere in between. But using the OGL, it all carries with it the same, uniform set of rights, thus creating the safe harbor.​

d20 System Trademark FAQ: this one has some interesting bits on "character generator,""any program that reports the success or failure of an action," "creating an online RPG, MUD, MUSH, MOO," as well as, "character creation," and assinging experience points and "experience point chart."

The d20 System Concept: Frequently Asked Questions, Version 1.0

Revised (v.3.5), System Reference Document

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases