OGL 1.2 survey is now live

Jer

Legend
Supporter
That’s bonkers. And they think it’s not enough. Wow.

Dragons of the Coast, indeed.
It's never going to be enough. There's no such thing in the level they play at.

Towards the end of 2019 Hasbro stock was trading around $120/share. It's now in the $60 range.

Shareholders want it to be back up at $120. The ones who overpaid and actually bought at over $100 want it even higher.

For what Hasbro is and what it does, there's no way it's valuation should even be $60. It's overvalued as it is.

So they need to get those revenues higher. A billion ain't enough - it needs to be 2 or 3 or more to pump up that price and let the current bagholders sell off to someone else.

Of course, the folks they sell to need that price to go even higher so they can make a profit. So it will never be enough.

dave2008

Legend
I don't want them to serve everyone. I want them to serve the people who want the OGL v1.0a to remain authorized/unrevoked and not the people who're in favor of the draft OGL v1.2, for instance, since I believe that maintaining the OGL v1.0a does the most good for the largest number of people in the tabletop RPG community (including WotC, via the Skaff Effect).
Sure, my point was they could listen to you and still not give you what you want. It is not the listening that is important, but their actions.

Remathilis

Legend
The AI DM will remember your kindness and fudge a crit against you into a normal hit.
I will read and do the survey this weekend. When I do I will focus on three things

1. Some mechanism or third party arbitration method to dispute rulings on content. If I can dispute moderation on YouTube or Facebook, I should be able to here.

2. A stronger ability to pulling material from 1.0a and updating it. Especially to allow older products to be referenced, including older SRDs.

3. Greater assurances in the license against royalty collection and modification. Perpetual and irrevocable.

I want this to a viable option alongside ORC to support 1D&D alongside other systems. I can't imagine we get 1.0a back, so my focus is on making 1.2 suck less.

Plokman

Explorer
Here you go:

View attachment 273236

My response to them when I get a chance is going to be an explanation of why they need to go back and look at the d20 STL and realize that everything they say they're trying to do with this 1.2 OGL can be done with the OGL 1.0a intact and the addition of a new trademark license to indicate Wizards approval rather than pushing both of these things into the same license. This is a solved problem and it was solved 23 years ago - they just stopped using the STL.

That doesn't stop the things that are problems for them that they aren't saying out loud. But hey, I'll give them a solution to their problem since they're asking for it.
What isn't broke don't need fixing.

Remove ads