• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OK. Absolutely everything is underpowered...

hong

WotC's bitch
4E must be the first revision of an established franchise to exhibit the reverse pinball effect, viz all the numbers are smaller than they used to be.

Well, someone mentioned another example on RPGnet, but I forget what it was.

neceros

Adventurer
The damage scales fine. As you increase level your power quantity increases, as well as the damage in most cases. Your hp, however, is not exponential, and entirely linear.

So far it's balanced. The problem everyone is having is a stolen identity. We had so many options with 3.5 that we feel we can't have the character we want anymore, mechanically. Some people may look the same on paper, but that just gives you more reason to play your character more.

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
Destil said:
I think the most interesting bit is how archery rangers are overpower, rogues are about right and warlocks are undepowered in a lot of people's eyes. The ranger is the easiest to play and looks to have the fewest tactical concerns (shoot the squishy or the biggest bad each turn), while the rogue looks to me to be a powerhouse damage dealer with a tactically adept party and the warlock can really really mess things up, despite lower damage.

It was obvious from the start the three strikers would be compared directly due to their similar role, the fact there is three of them and the focus being DPS/DPR.

It happens in WoW as well in exactly the same way, with people just looking at damage and ignoring utilitiy, situational advantages, tactical uses and the like.

I suspect the Warlock, Ranger, Rogue thing will continue for some time :)

functionciccio

First Post
neceros said:
The problem everyone is having is a stolen identity. We had so many options with 3.5 that we feel we can't have the character we want anymore, mechanically. Some people may look the same on paper, but that just gives you more reason to play your character more.

This

alanpossible

First Post
I believe there's some saying that goes:

"If everyone is complaining about one class being over/under powered, it's probably true. If everyone is complaining about every class being over/under powered, it's probably perfectly balanced".

Balance seems to have been the focus on 4e and from what I've seen so far, it seems about right. The balance looks good.

Lizard

Explorer
hong said:
4E must be the first revision of an established franchise to exhibit the reverse pinball effect, viz all the numbers are smaller than they used to be.

Except hit points. At first level. And for monsters. Which throws a lot of people still thinking in 3e terms.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads