• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OK, we have a problem [please read!]

JoeGKushner

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
Watch the advertisements here - a greater percentage have been for Burning Sky (An E.N. Publishing product) and materials that are increasingly tangential to D20 gaming. Fewer paying advertisements equals dropping advertising dollars. It is easy enough to notice.

I for one do not believe that the merger between RPGNow and DTRPG served anyone's interests but their own.

The Auld Grump

Hence my warning of 'cynical mode' as I fully agree.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Morrus said:
You'd be amazed. I think the thought process involves people assuming that everyone else is doing it, so it doesn't make much difference if they don't.

I'm sure. I myself have bought user accounts, but I don't renew them all the time as I mean too, so I guess I see where it might be hard to gather money. Ya know, as I sit here writing this, there are 2,079 users online right now. If you charged a monthly fee as little as twenty-five cents to all users, that by itself should be enough to pay for the monthly expense.

Granted, I don't go to websites that I have to pay anything on, so it might turn a few people off, but a free month of use to get people hooked with a promise not to spam our accounts and a low monthly fee of less than a $1 and even I would have come around.

As Zedd would say, "Nothing is ever easy."

Have a good vacation, I'll upgrade my account when I get home, I couldn't do it earlier, I was out of town myself.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Morrus said:
You've spotted the cruicial flaw in that plan!

I am not that savy with the inner working on what is possible with your site, but could you say, have a pop up hit the user no more than once a month, say when you log in or do your first post each month? Have the pop up ask if you would like to donate $1 to the site. If yes, then they get directed to paypal, or whatever, if no, still offer to let them use the site for free with no further pop ups until next month? So never more than 12 pop-ups a year, if you give or not.

That way people still can use it for free, but they get a friendly reminder that money is always needed. By keeping the pop-up reminder to only once a month (with no other pop-ups because they are always annouying), it doesn't become a burden to just click yes or no and you don't really get a guilt trip laid on you.

Merkuri

Explorer
I agree with blarg. Popups, no matter how infrequent, are NOT good. There are better ways to remind folks than pestering them once a month with a popup.

Jacen

First Post
DM-Rocco said:
Have the pop up ask if you would like to donate $1 to the site. If yes, then they get directed to paypal, or whatever,

I still don't have CS account due to fact that I WON'T use paypal. So that reminder loses some effect. I am not the only one that won't deal with them.

Well there always is RPGNow but with price $45 compared to about $19 something. This time I just can't afford to give money away like in earlier donations.
:\

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Jacen said:

I still don't have CS account due to fact that I WON'T use paypal. So that reminder loses some effect. I am not the only one that won't deal with them.

Well there always is RPGNow but with price $45 compared to about $19 something. This time I just can't afford to give money away like in earlier donations.
:\
What is the big problem that I don't see with Paypal? Are they funding terrorist? Do they sleep with underage school children? Did they fart in public and blame it on Grandma? Seriously, what is the big deal?

blargney the second said:
AAAH! Don't say that word!

AAAH! You said the word again!

AUUGGH! He said the word again!

AAAUUUGH! Stop saying the word!

AAAH! He said pop-up again! AAAH! I said pop-up! OOOOH! I said pop-up again! That's three "pop-up"s!
AAAUUURRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!! pop-ups, Pop-Ups, POP-UPS!!! :p

Merkuri said:
I agree with blarg. Popups, no matter how infrequent, are NOT good. There are better ways to remind folks than pestering them once a month with a popup.

Oh, grow up. I'm not asking for a daily reminder. If you can't handle clicking through one pop-up a month then something is really wrong with you. Most filters would probably screen it anyway, so you wouldn't even have to click it off, but you would see on the top of Internet Explorer that there was a pop-up trying to get through and thus a reminder.

Seriously, if you even use the site modestly, the price of a pop-up once a month is nothing, and I hate pop-ups and even I wouldn't mind a friendly reminder once and a while compared to a desperate post from our beloved Morrus scrambling at the last minute.

Toughen up will ya.

Merkuri

Explorer
DM-Rocco said:
Oh, grow up. I'm not asking for a daily reminder. If you can't handle clicking through one pop-up a month then something is really wrong with you.

I think I represent the majority of internet goers. There's a reason most browser applications have pop-up blockers nowadays. One popup is too many when you can display the same information at the top of the regular window (similar to Morrus' "Important Announcement" that's displaying right now).

My problem is not with the frequency of the popups, it's that you can easily do without them, and popups should be used sparingly and only with the permission of the user, IMO.

Remove ads