• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OK, we have a problem [please read!]

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Merkuri said:
I think I represent the majority of internet goers. There's a reason most browser applications have pop-up blockers nowadays.

Yeah. Or just use FireFox, which "blocks" the problem at the source... :)

-- N

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Merkuri said:
I think I represent the majority of internet goers. There's a reason most browser applications have pop-up blockers nowadays. One popup is too many when you can display the same information at the top of the regular window (similar to Morrus' "Important Announcement" that's displaying right now).

My problem is not with the frequency of the popups, it's that you can easily do without them, and popups should be used sparingly and only with the permission of the user, IMO.
A female gamer, cool. Wait, you don't have a mullet, a hair lip and a fancy for other girls do ya? :) ;) :cool:

Okay, settle down, just having fun. You're okay with me if all, none or even some of the above is true :D :p :lol:

Anyway, yes, I agree with you, but really, does everyone hate pop-ups that badly that 12 a year would really ruin your year?

For me it would be a nice simple reminder that you can't just ignore. I could have easily ignored this thread, but by now I knew most likely what this thread was about before I even read it. Now think a moment about those new to the site, it will take them a long time to read such a thread. Most people I know just ignore the stickies unless it says "HEY, READ THIS BEFORE POSTING OR YOU SHALL DIE A LONG SLOW DEATH IN THE PITS OF HELL!!!"

Maybe just a friendly reminder at the top of the boards is enough, maybe he should send out a friendly request on our e-mail accounts once a month for a $1 donation. Well, then I guess that won't work because people will complain about SPAM.

I guess we will be reduced to scrambling for funds then at the last minute as seems to be the norm. What is the diffinition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. I'm not saying everyone else is insane because they want to keep things the same, I am saying that keeping things the same hasn't worked very well, perhaps something new is in order.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, what things can E.N.Publishing focus on that will sell, and hopefully keep things more buoyant?

I, at the least, tend to purchase 'toolkit' books by preference. Steam & Steel has seen enough use that I had to print up another copy. Mechanomancy I & II have not seen use, but are quite good. (Just not something that fits any of my current game settings.)

A toolkit can often be used in multiple D20 and OGL D20 games, I converted much of Steam & Steel for use in OGL Steampunk, and some for Spycraft 2.0. I converted Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth for use in Spycraft, and it is now seeing use. (This was a multi step process, where I made a whole bunch of changes, then removed them, a little at a time, getting almost back to the way it was written.... I'd have saved myself a whole lot of work by just adding subdual damage to the casting of spells, and stress damage to conjurations - since those and a drained level for both caster and target in regards to any resurrection magics are the only changes remaining. Rolling eyes, where art thou? :\ )

I will take a 'Book of Templates' or a 'Librum Equitus' over a book of monsters or a book on chainmail bikinis. Adventures are low on the list - they have to reach out and grab me, they need a serious hook. For Pathfinder (issue 1) that hook is the goblins, but WotBS does not have a hook that has a big enough worm, I guess.

But my tastes may differ from the norm, and I suspect that I have also zeroed in on the products that take the longest to write and test. But I would like to see E.N.Publishing succeed.

The Auld Grump

Carnifex

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
Hmmm, what things can E.N.Publishing focus on that will sell, and hopefully keep things more buoyant?

I, at the least, tend to purchase 'toolkit' books by preference. Steam & Steel has seen enough use that I had to print up another copy. Mechanomancy I & II have not seen use, but are quite good. (Just not something that fits any of my current game settings.)

A toolkit can often be used in multiple D20 and OGL D20 games, I converted much of Steam & Steel for use in OGL Steampunk, and some for Spycraft 2.0. I

Glad to know Steam & Steel was good value for you. Maybe someday I should write another one :)

DonTadow

First Post
Carnifex said:
Glad to know Steam & Steel was good value for you. Maybe someday I should write another one :)
It was agood value for me too. I was trying to use one coursebook for my latest campaign, but had to replace the entire section of steampunk references from the book i was using with steam and steel because it was a much better system.

DonTadow

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:

A toolkit can often be used in multiple D20 and OGL D20 games, I converted much of Steam & Steel for use in OGL Steampunk, and some for Spycraft 2.0. I converted Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth for use in Spycraft, and it is now seeing use. (This was a multi step process, where I made a whole bunch of changes, then removed them, a little at a time, getting almost back to the way it was written.... I'd have saved myself a whole lot of work by just adding subdual damage to the casting of spells, and stress damage to conjurations - since those and a drained level for both caster and target in regards to any resurrection magics are the only changes remaining. Rolling eyes, where art thou? :\ )

I will take a 'Book of Templates' or a 'Librum Equitus' over a book of monsters or a book on chainmail bikinis. Adventures are low on the list - they have to reach out and grab me, they need a serious hook. For Pathfinder (issue 1) that hook is the goblins, but WotBS does not have a hook that has a big enough worm, I guess.

But my tastes may differ from the norm, and I suspect that I have also zeroed in on the products that take the longest to write and test. But I would like to see E.N.Publishing succeed.

The Auld Grump
Hi, I converted steam and steel for Steampunk OGLtoo. I'd love to share any notes you may have.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Carnifex said:
You do know what I would say about that, don't you? ;) :D

It also saw/sees a good deal of use in my Iron Kingdoms games (at the time that was the main reason I bought it). S&S remains one of the only two PDF products where I played the 'is it there yet? *Click!*' game. I may have been the first to purchase it.

DonTadow said:
Hi, I converted steam and steel for Steampunk OGL too. I'd love to share any notes you may have.

Yeah, I liked that game, though there were some odd... holes... in the rules. (No rules for automatic fire, and some of the worst prices that I have seen in a D20 modern based game - cheaper to buy a ship, crew it, and sail it across the ocean than to buy passage on the same ship.)

Using S&S with OGL Steampunk - the first place I used it was in prosthetics, grabbing Phil Reed's Prosthetics & Diseases expansion. I stole rules from Swashbuckling adventures, and allowed the PCs to spend action points to not get horribly dead - if you took enough damage to pass your Massive Damage threshold and failed the save you could spend a point to lose a random limb instead. Steampunk needs folks with steam or pneumatically powered limbs. :) Given the extreme lethality of vehicle weapons I thought this was a better solution than lots of new characters every time an armored vehicle showed up. At the end of the campaign diesel engines were coming into play, and I altered history a wee bit to allow Mondragon to get his assault rifle perfected in 1893. (Built by Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft, but a Mexican design, just a bit beyond what could be manufactured and remain reliable.)

I lifted rules for trains as well, since I really did not want to stat out some locomotives. The critter templates I could just drop in. My actual notes are not to hand - I have moved since the last time I ran OGL Steampunk, and have not opened that box.

I think I went into a little detail when I did a review of OGL Steampunk. And somewhere on the E.N. Publishing site are a bunch of rules that I did for S&S, mostly involving trains. (Look, my first use of the Search function. Isn't it cute?)

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Java decided to update while I was typing this, causing Firefox to lock up. But when I restored Firefox not one word of text got lost, it was all there, waiting to be finished. :)

aboyd

Explorer
For what it's worth, I might suggest not hiding the Community Supporter information. By that I mean, features are turned off unless you're a Community Supporter, but they don't tell you WHY. I tried to search and got a message about access levels. I tried to view all my own posts and got the same message. Nowhere did it say "this can be enabled with a $5 Community Supporter account you purchase here."

So you know what I thought? I thought, "site's broken." And then I didn't think about it anymore.

It might help to make it more obvious, and it doesn't have to be spammy. I mean, I could have used some information, and it would have been an honest service to me if the error messages could have shot me in the right direction.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads