OSR Old School Essentials Box Sets Kickstarter

kenada

Legend
Supporter
You know, for all the complaints we are giving WotC for re-issuing the updated monster books once, as a community we sure don't care if Necrotic Gnome re-releases the same stuff every year.
I don’t think this comparison quite works. The boxed set already exists. It went out of print, but you can still buy PDFs of the books. This is a Kickstarter to meet demand for a reprint, which is also using that demand to bootstrap new products. That seems like a pretty smart business plan to me.

My poor wallet though. I don’t even run OSE, but I love the adventures and stuff they put out. I just finished running Halls of the Blood King, and it was awesome.

Retreater

Legend
My poor wallet though. I don’t even run OSE, but I love the adventures and stuff they put out. I just finished running Halls of the Blood King, and it was awesome.
I've never run OSE, but I have played in it. I had a terrible time (likely the fault of the adventure, the DM, and the players' playstyles not merging with it.)
Until I get a group willing to play it, find a good implementation of the system on VTT, I'm going to stop purchasing so much (actually applies to everything from now on.)

Retreater

Legend
I tell myself this lie every day.
Really trying to do better this year. Over the pandemic I bought so much gaming stuff, and in practicality I'll likely never use it. I'm getting overcrowded and feeling unappreciative of what I have. And it doesn't help that my in-person gaming is basically nil and has been for two years.
I'm running almost exclusively on VTT, and if it's not on there, it does me no good.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I've never run OSE, but I have played in it. I had a terrible time (likely the fault of the adventure, the DM, and the players' playstyles not merging with it.)
Of the OSE adventures I’ve run (Winter’s Daughter and Halls of the Blood King), I have run precisely zero of them using the OSE rules proper. I ran Winter’s Daughter as a conversion to PF2, and I ran Halls of the Blood King using my homebrew WWN/OSE hybrid. I’d recommend both to anyone who doesn’t run OSE and is fine with doing a bit of conversion work to their system of choice.

For PF2, I didn’t even adjust the difficulty of encounters. Some were impossible (like a 5th level caster against a 1st level party), but that was fine because you aren’t supposed to pick fights. I’ve said it before in the PF2 forum here, but Pathfinder 2e does old-school play pretty darn well. It also helps to augment it a bit with a few things that are missing.

darjr

I crit!
EE9703C7-420B-4D0A-9530-1EE7E0064C0A.jpeg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases