Old timers?

Richards

Legend
Well, I'll be darned - I've been around even longer than I thought, then! I was just going off of what my current profile said; I haven't actually kept track of when I first joined.

Johnathan

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Maybe I should give some kind of tiny perk to those who stuck around for so long? Then again, I'd then have to spend the rest of my life manually handling all the people who recreated accounts and stuff, which doesn't sound fun.

Aaron L

Hero
Maybe I should give some kind of tiny perk to those who stuck around for so long? Then again, I'd then have to spend the rest of my life manually handling all the people who recreated accounts and stuff, which doesn't sound fun.
That would get tiresome. I don't know if you'd want to rely on self-reporting or not.

Dioltach

Legend
At the risk of sounding brown-nosey, still getting to hang out here is the perk of sticking around for so long (I just realised: even going by the join date of my current profile, it's more than a third of my life). There aren't many places online where you can immerse yourself in your hobby and where the conversation has consistently been largely sensible, respectful and mature for two decades.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Yeah, I was around back when Eric Noah's 3rd Edition News was the precursor to what is now ENWorld.

Same, though I posted under a different name back then. Wore the numbers off my F5 in the weeks before the Player's Handbook 3.0 was released. Don't recall exactly, but I think I was pretty hot and heavy until 2005-2006 when I put D&D on the back burner to pursue professional opportunities that didn't pan out.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Yup, started following Eric Noah's 3rd Edition News when I was a senior in High School and my main posting board of choice was tsr.com... man that was a long time ago. Registered in 2002 and posted with some frequency from 2002-2005. 2005 I graduated from college, and for years gaming groups were few and far between - four attempts at starting RPG campaigns from 2005-2014 fizzled in one session. I didn't come by much. What I saw of D&D 4e turned me off, and Pathfinder didn't excite me much.

Started posting with some regularity again last fall, and started the first campaign that lasted... at least until the Covid outbreak. But with any luck I'll be buying a house soon - hopefully with a game room! - and can get that campaign going again and start another one on the off weeks! I love being back in the saddle as a DM - and better than ever.

What changes, though... 2002... I was 20, getting through my second attempt at a Freshman year of college, majoring in Philosophy and Political Science, hanging out with geeks and stoners, listening to a lot of industrial rock and reading occult books, perpetually single, living with my parents...

...now I'm 38, have a BA and an MBA, have condos in two big cities and will soon be trading one in for a house, am married to a gorgeous, intelligent woman, have an adorable 4 year old son, work a steady dead end job at a bank that I'll also be leaving soon to start a solo financial planning practice...

...but D&D's still there for me, 29 years after I got my first set for Christmas.

naturaltwenty

Explorer
Publisher
I was here back in 2002 (didn't post much I was on a different site more back then) - looking back at my posts I see I was looking for VTT (Fantasy Grounds) players back in 2005...I was way ahead of the curve:).

qstor

Adventurer
I semi-disappeared a while during 4e, but I have always come back.

Same here. I've posted more on the Paizo forums recently and didn't post here a lot during the 4e cause I was heavily invested in Pathfinder. I also post on Dragonsfoot under the same user name but ENworld still is a "special place" for me even if it's become more "5E centric" IMHO.

I loved the conversion library in the 3E days and the creature conversions.

Remove ads