WotC Older D&D Books on DMs Guild Now Have A Disclaimer

If you go to any of the older WotC products on the Dungeon Master's Guild, they now have a new disclaimer very similar to that currently found at the start of Looney Tunes cartoons. We recognize that some of the legacy content available on this website, does not reflect the values of the Dungeon & Dragons franchise today. Some older content may reflect ethnic, racial and gender prejudice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go to any of the older WotC products on the Dungeon Master's Guild, they now have a new disclaimer very similar to that currently found at the start of Looney Tunes cartoons.

D3B789DC-FA16-46BD-B367-E4809E8F74AE.jpeg

We recognize that some of the legacy content available on this website, does not reflect the values of the Dungeon & Dragons franchise today. Some older content may reflect ethnic, racial and gender prejudice that were commonplace in American society at that time. These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today. This content is presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed. Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is a strength, and we strive to make our D&D products as welcoming and inclusive as possible. This part of our work will never end.

The wording is very similar to that found at the start of Looney Tunes cartoons.

F473BE00-5334-453E-849D-E37710BCF61E.jpeg

Edit: Wizards has put out a statement on Twitter (click through to the full thread)

whimsychris123

Adventurer
I love Tolkien's works about as much as any other author, but that doesn't mean I can't still be critical of things. Same goes for D&D. I can love my 1e orange spine collection fiercely and still critique it.
This. So much of people's arguments seem to be either/or. Either we like old stuff or we hate it. Either we're for it or against it. Life is complex. You can love something, but also see its flaws. I'd like more people to come to these discussions with less defensiveness and more willingness to see multiple views.

Zarithar

Adventurer
You can do whatever you want. And I have no problem with you criticizing the book - but you're insulting the actual people. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy. Calling people who buy and use the book "losers" is not inclusive. Consider that some of those people could be members of this forum.
I agree. I personally thought the book was puerile garbage - but whatever floats your boat as they say. It doesn't harm me if others enjoy it.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Citation massively needed. Really multiple, detailed citations. This is a wild claim and definitely not as plainly true as you claim it is. There's some truth in it for sure, but unless you can find some god-tier citations, it's not the hard fact you're claiming. The big problem you're going to face is that many of these creatures didn't even have specific or consistent appearances. The idea that goblins were some sort of solid, consistent concept in the past is fundamentally false.

More to the point, though D&D's goblins don't really fit with the tropes described. They're not typically large-nosed, for starters. That's a pretty aberrant illustration that had to be cherry-picked.

As long as you ignore the art provided by WotC and their partners, you are correct, goblins don't have large noses.

Reality is that large-nose goblins is the norm.

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
As long as you ignore the art provided by WotC and their partners, you are correct, goblins don't have large noses.

Reality is that large-nose goblins is the norm.
Look no further than a google image search.

I have just read a Spanish-languange blog and hist opinion is this has caused the opposite effect, something like the old stickers of "parental advisore" what really helped to sell more music discks.

This is really dumb, fool. I can understand today the crows of the old cartoon movie "Dumbo" wouldn't be tolerated, but if we really want to help to fix the things, we can't trust who wants more authority to forbidd and censure and nothing about promoting ethical values as the respect for the human dignity.

Maybe OA had got stereotypes, but worse than the own speculative fiction by the own Asians? If an European publishers sells a comic what is a parody of a famous manga, is it racism?

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
I have just read a Spanish-languange blog and hist opinion is this has caused the opposite effect, something like the old stickers of "parental advisore" what really helped to sell more music discks.

This is really dumb, fool. I can understand today the crows of the old cartoon movie "Dumbo" wouldn't be tolerated, but if we really want to help to fix the things, we can't trust who wants more authority to forbidd and censure and nothing about promoting ethical values as the respect for the human dignity.

Maybe OA had got stereotypes, but worse than the own speculative fiction by the own Asians? If an European publishers sells a comic what is a parody of a famous manga, is it racism?
Yeah, I totally hate censorship.

Anyway, you might like reading this article:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads