• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Olympics] We Were Robbed! Part 2

Quickbeam

Explorer
I haven't read the many various comments posted on the previous thread, but let me sum up my position on this issue:
1) The Canadian pair should have won the gold based on their essentially flawless program, and enthusiastic performance.
2) The American pair should have snatched the bronze, since both of the pairs ahead of them made VERY obvious errors which call for significant deductions.

Now the problems with my comments:
1) Figure skating (like diving, gymnastics, and several other Olympic Sports) is subject to judging. There isn't a clock, measuring tape, finish line, or any other objective means to determine the "winners." Therefore personal bias and politics will ALWAYS have a place in determining the final outcome. This sucks, but that's the way it is.
2) Even judges who are voting their conscience can choose an unpopular winner based on their culture or interpretation of what the event should display in its highest form. I'm not saying that's what happened here (it isn't!!), but maybe the Eastern European judges like a more traditional ballet-style program over razzle dazzle. *shrug* It's food for thought.
3) There was grumbling that this was a move to offset the Canadian victory in the World Championships last year...which were held in Canada. Is it possible that the Russians were the better pair in that event yet came in second, only to see their loss vindicated two nights ago?

Again, I think the Canadians got hosed (to use a north of the border term ;) ), but I've provided some food for thought to help ease the bitter pill we're being asked to swallow.

Shadeus

First Post
I'm not 100% sure, but didn't Ben Johnson (coincidently Canadian) lose his gold medal for winning the 100m dash AFTER the Olympics were over after he failed a drug test? I want to say it was the 1992 summer olympics, but I'm no olympic historian.

Point being is that decisions can get reversed.

That being said, failing a drug test is a far cry from bad judges or alleged under-the-tables deals among judges.

Enforcer

Explorer
I was watching CNBC last night, and an editor from Sports Illustrated for Women said that in judged skiing events, there are 2 or 3 judges from each country, and that none of them know which judge from a country will be judging a given event. I think that would be good for skating.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Shadeus said:
I'm not 100% sure, but didn't Ben Johnson (coincidently Canadian) lose his gold medal for winning the 100m dash AFTER the Olympics were over after he failed a drug test? I want to say it was the 1992 summer olympics, but I'm no olympic historian.

Point being is that decisions can get reversed.

That being said, failing a drug test is a far cry from bad judges or alleged under-the-tables deals among judges.

The Olympics were still going on when Johnson failed his drug test (and I think it was the Seoul '92 games). And this really doesn't set a precident for medals being reversed because of bad officiating - Johnson cheated and got caught, end of story.

You will never see the IOC reverse a judges decision without the athlete(s) in question having been caught in wrong doing.

To the IOC (and the ISU to a lesser degree) the judges decidion is law and cannot be changed even if they are proven to be biased.

Agamon

Adventurer
Ta heck with the friggin' judged sports. The politics are way too obvious and encroaching on the results. I'll watch hockey and curling.

Moulin Rogue

First Post
The Seoul Olympics were actually in '88 (how time flies).... at the Barcelona Olympics in '92, a Canadian lost gold in synchronized swimming when a judge accidentally entered the intended score wrong and immediately asked to change it. Too late! The ceremony went on with the Canadian getting silver.

But then they kinda fixed it and instead of stripping the American of the gold, they elevated the Canadian into a tie for first and gave her gold as well. The American swimmer's husband, Ed Sprague, helped the Toronto Blue Jays win the World Series that year with a game-winning home run, so Canadians pretty much forgave this. :)

So that was one time they sort of admitted they messed up and bumped the rightful winner up from silver to gold.

Last edited:

GreyOne

Explorer
Even the Russian skaters new they didn't really win. A nice display of character would have been for them not to accept the gold. I know I couldn't have done it with a clear conscience.

The Olympics just sucks. Its not even about amateur sports anymore. Its frickin political and corporate all the way. Its rifled with corruption. Many of the sports are just plain boring or barely recognizeable as sports. It bankrupts or puts in debt most places that host it.

Chuck the whole sordid mess. Start something fresh.

Breaking News from NBC....

Canadian Federation wants "duplicate Golds" awarded, so both teams get the gold. I heard this earlier today. The breaking news is actually this:

The IOC is pressuring the ISU to make the "investigation" meaningful (i.e., actually have some results).

Almost seems sillly, but it's a pretty drastic measure for the IOC to question a "governing body" publically. Apparently, at the very least, the IOC actually is worried about the reputation of the Olympics.

graydoom

First Post
Barendd Nobeard said:
Apparently, at the very least, the IOC actually is worried about the reputation of the Olympics.
They should be worried. I'm neutral about the Olympics in general, but this makes we want to go out of my way to avoid them....

I guess they realize that the pit of a bad reputation or a reputation for being corrupt is hard to get out of, and that they should try to stop it while it's an isolated incident.

Remove ads