• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Olympics] We Were Robbed! Part 2

Storminator

First Post
I don't think the subjective nature of judging is what causes the impropriaties we've seen. It's that Olympic skating really is a big deal. Winning a gold can make a career for someone, and coming in fourth means you have to find a job after the games.

There's serious money and prestige on the line, and that's where shenanigans come in. Figure skating is the higest rated event of the winter games (much like gymnastics in summer), and you've got incentive to cheat.

The judging only enables cheating, it isn't the cause.

PS

Storm Raven

First Post
Storminator said:
I don't think the subjective nature of judging is what causes the impropriaties we've seen. It's that Olympic skating really is a big deal. Winning a gold can make a career for someone, and coming in fourth means you have to find a job after the games.

Well, since that's not what I said, I'd say you are not disagreeing with me. There are many reasons to be tempted to judge a contest unfairly. The problem with figure skating is that the subjective nature of the event makes it really open to improprieties on the part of the judges. And now, since the fact that the judges have been exposed as being swayed by the corrupting influences of the subjective nature of the sport, it will be very difficult for figure skating to regain any pretense of a claim to integrity.

Sure there are other reasons why the judges would unfairly bias the result. But it is much more difficult to rig a speed skating or downhill skiing event than it is to rig any event in the figure skating group. The subjectivity opens the door for the corruption, and now everyone knows the ISU judges are more than willing to walk though that door.

Amrynn Moonshadow

First Post
taken from a reader @ the sporting news website ( http://www.tsn.com )

[ satire ]

Today, NFL fan Jeff Porche takes a humorous look at why the Rams would be the Super Bowl champs if the outcome had been determined by Olympic judges.

I have heard a lot of talk over the last few days about the latest controversy in figure skating. It has long been my contention that figure skating is not a sport, primarily because of situations like this. Any sport that determines the winner by judges' decisions is not a sport because too much subjectivity/bias is involved. It is too easy to rig the results in these sports.

Add the fact that many Olympic judges still apparently vote on geographical and ideological lines drawn out by the Cold War (judges from Russia, China, Poland and the Ukraine voted for the Russian pair Monday night), and you have a recipe for grave injustices.

But enough of that. I could argue for days about everything that is wrong with judged sports, especially in Olympic competition. Instead, I am taking another approach. In order to illustrate how idiotic Olympic judging can become, I am wondering what would happen if we determined the winner of this year's Super Bowl by Olympic-style judging.

Here is how the event would take place: The Rams and Patriots would play a regular, 60-minute, four-quarter football game. However, when the competition is finished, the final score would not automatically determine the winner. Instead, a group of judges representing each of the 31 existing NFL teams would cast a vote, based on what they saw, to determine the "true" winner.

Here is how it would play out. On the field, the Patriots outscore the Rams 20-17. When the game is over, the Patriots are certain that they will be the winners. However, they head to the locker room in order to wait for the judges' final decisions. But when they get there, they discover that something very curious is going on: All of the voters from the NFC have determined that the Rams won the Super Bowl!

Their decisions are based on one or more of the following criteria:

* The Rams have demonstrated throughout the course of the year that they are the better team.

* The NFC has historicallly been the better conference, considering that it has lost only two Super Bowls since the mid-'80s.

* While the Rams did commit more errors than the Patriots, the degree of difficulty associated with their "vertical offense" was greater.

* While the Patriots' offensive performance was technically perfect, its relatively conservative nature was not aesthetically pleasing or as challenging as the offensive maneuvers the Rams attempted.

* The Rams gained more yards than the Patriots.

* Kurt Warner's touchdown pass to Ricky Proehl was "prettier" than Tom Brady's touchdown pass to David Patten.

However, based on this outcome, the Patriots still would win on judges' votes, 16-15, because the AFC has one more team than the NFC. But all the NFC judges would have to do is convince one AFC judge to change sides, and victory is theirs.

This is where the Raiders' judge comes in.

The Raiders are obviously still angry with the Patriots. After all, they were robbed of a victory by the Patriots two weeks earlier because of the "tuck" decision. By their rationale, the Patriots don't even belong there. I'm sure the Raiders would be glad to go along with the fix. And if they don't, there is always the possibility that the Jets' judge would play ball. All you would have to do is remind him that Bill Belichick left his team at the altar two years ago.

And there you have it. By my estimations, the Rams would have defeated the Patriots in a Super Bowl, based on judges' decision, by a score of either 16-15 or 17-14. Congratulations to the Rams! I think I am going to recognize them as Super Bowl champs from now on.

[ / satire ]

btw, GO CANADA!

Ysgarran

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but some new news...

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/14/olympics/14SKAT.html
SALT LAKE CITY, Feb. 13 — The head of the French Olympic team said tonight that the figure skating judge from his country was pressured to "act in a certain way" before she voted to award the gold medal to the Russian pairs team.

The comments came after Olympic officials from Canada, whose pairs team was given the silver medal Monday night, said they were seeking to change the results of the competition. It also emerged today that the head referee had filed a report soon after the event concerning possible judging improprieties.

Didier Gailhaguet, the French Olympic official, told The Associated Press: "Some people close to the judge have acted badly and have put someone who is honest and upright, but emotionally fragile, under pressure. She is a fragile person and I think she has been somewhat manipulated."

And for those who are complaining about skating not being a sport: Just wait until Ballroom dancing becomes an olympic sport! ;)

MythandLore

First Post
Russian to judgment
1373524.jpg

The facts and history behind the pairs judging controversy
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/705360.asp?0SB=Q715
SINCE 1964, RUSSIAN PAIRS had won 10 straight gold medals. Sale and Pelletier, however, defeated Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze at the 2001 World Championships, as well as at the Grand Prix of Figure Skating in December.

Canadians ask court to award gold
tdy_bloom_skate_020214.jpg

Court of Arbitration will hold hearing Friday to consider country’s request
http://www.msnbc.com/news/705743.asp
French figure skating judge Marie Reine Le Gougne announced at a routine, post-competition judges’ meeting Tuesday that she voted for the Russians in the pairs figure skating final because she had been pressured to do so by the French figure skating association. NBC's David Bloom reports.

Utrecht

First Post
This is definately a news item here in Europe (well maybe just France - all the Dutch care about is why thier speedskaters are choking...) as well. In fact here in Paris the story is receiving Top billing ahead of the Slobidan Milosovich trials.

Of course, I really have no idea what they are saying since it is all in French, but the overall impression that I have gotten is that the French are in general embarressed that it was thier judge that participated.

MythandLore

First Post
Sounds like that might be the case, but he didn't say that, so I got all confused for a second.
Is he talking about Denver, no france, no usa, no france, no wait, what happend now?

Remove ads