• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Olympics] We Were Robbed! Part 2

Berandor

lunatic
Just reposting this from the old thread, as I found it very helpful, and don't want it to be missed...

[...]

(My credentials -- I am not a judge, but I have been a low-level competitive skater in both ice and roller skating, and I would consider myself a knowledgable fan. I know judges and have discussed judging issues with them in the past.)

[...]

I haven't seen this skate yet -- it's waiting on the TiVO. But it was a CLOSE decision, folks. One judge changing his/her mind would have changed the outcome. You can't blame this on Eastern Bloc bias (unless the French joined the Eastern Bloc when I wasn't looking). It is true that European judges often value things differently from North American judges -- for example, they put a higher premium on the speed of the skating. But I don't see this as a crime.

Here, having not seen the program yet, are some things that might have made the difference, from a skater's perspective:

* Speed. Which team was faster? This is notoriously difficult to judge on TV. It may have been obvious to those sitting in the arena, though! Having been to competitions that I later watched on tv, I can tell you that speed really doesn't show up on camera at all.

* Difficulty. The consensus I've seen from folks I trust is that the Russians' program had a higher level of difficulty. Sale and Pelletier went back to an old program for the Olympics, one that is really dramatic and fun to watch, but one that is less difficult than the program they were using earlier in the year.

* Balance. Not whether they fall down all the time, but whether the program is well-balanced. For example, some skaters front-load their programs, putting all the difficult moves at the beginning and then coasting through the rest.

* Unison. This is part of the presentation score. I'm looking at the scores right now, and it looks like the presentation scores are what really made the decision. Keep in mind that despite the yammerings of commentators who should know better (yes, I mean you, Scott Hamilton), "presentation" does not mean "artistry." It does not mean costumes, or who has the best music, or whether the program is brand-new, either. Judges aren't supposed to pay attention to any of that. From the FAQ I linked to above: Presentation reflects "the choreography, flow, and balance of the program, the ability of the skaters to interpret their chosen music, and other factors such as making good use of the ice surface, skating with speed, sureness, and effortless carriage, and unison for pair skaters." It does not reflect the emotion of their skating, how much the fans like them, etc.

I could go on, but I think it would drive everyone nuts.

Now that I'm actually looking at the scores, though -- wow, that was close. Go look at them yourselves. The actual, judge by judge scores. I really don't think the fix was in here. I'm really looking forward to seeing the skating for myself -- sounds like it was a good event.

[...]

OK, I've finally seen the event. But I haven't had time to read any news articles on the possible collusion, so I can't really comment on that, with the exception of pointing out that even if the French judge was dirty and had decided to collude, it might be that he or she would have chosen the Russians anyway, based on the way they actually skated when it came right down to it. So even if there was collusion, it doesn't mean that the Russians wouldn't have won anyway. I'll explain why I think so, below.

[...]

Anyway, I just watched the two programs multiple times each, taking notes. Here are the notes I made (edited for MeFi). Bear in mind that while I am a skater, I am not a pairs skater, so I don't know the names and specifics of the particular lifts they do, though I do know the other elements.

Berezhnaia & Sikharulidze:

* Seemed to have good speed. Hard to tell on camera.

* Their extension and carriage were excellent. Moves were finished, right to the fingertips. (This is very Russian, btw -- that strong ballet influence.) Their body positions were gorgeous. (This goes in the presentation mark.)

* Anton stepped out of the double axel landing, but his recovery was seamless. He lost no time at all, and they did the following jump in the sequence in perfect unison. That was possibly the best recovery of a screw-up I have ever seen a pairs team make. The error in the jump landing would affect the technical score, but the presentation score would be unaffected because the presentation was not affected by the error.

* They had some wonderful original positions in their death spiral.

* There were no "dead spots" in their program. They kept moving, constantly, not stopping to rest or emote. They skated closely together and had lots of different steps and directions in between the big elements. This is overall a high level of difficulty.

* Overall, their unison was stunning. Very nice. (This goes in the presentation score.)

* My final notes for this one: "Wow, excellent classical program! Surprised at the comments of Bezic/ Hamilton." I didn't see the bobbles that they saw. (I also have no clue what the "four errors" were that Sandra Bezic referred to later.)

Sale & Pelletier

* Unison good, but noticeable unison errors in places

* Speed -- hard to tell. I thought it might have been slower, but I couldn't tell without two TVs side by side.

* Several places in the program where they stopped and emoted on the ice. This is showy, but it's not skating. (It also gives them a chance to rest a bit, which the other skaters didn't do.)

* Their extension was not as good -- I noticed especially that Jamie's arms were floppy and droopy in some sections. Perhaps that was intentional for the "Love Story" theme -- but if so, that was a bad decision. That is the kind of thing European judges are known for being sticklers on.

* Lifts possibly seemed easier

* Final notes: "Very, very nice program. Announcers idiots."

So, to my own shock (I like Sale & Pelletier, and really wanted them to win), I think the decision is fully explainable by the defined rules and standards of the sport. S&P did have higher technical scores, and that was probably justified by the cleanness of the program, though the lack of difficulty did hurt them here. Had they skated a more difficult program that clean, they probably would have won for sure. But the presentation mark is B&S' strength, and they didn't falter in that area, not a bit. I think, in the presentation mark, they did beat the Canadians.

It was close, though. I think you could justify either team winning this. We saw two amazing programs here. We should be happy to see that level of skating.

I wonder, though, why the announcers and crowd were so certain that the Canadians won. Bias? Maybe. It's not like I haven't seen that at skating events before. And you can skate an amazing crowd-pleasing program that doesn't deserve to win for a number of reasons, but the crowd will love it anyway -- so just because the crowd preferred B&S doesn't necessarily mean that their program was better. Still, I wish I could have been there to see it in person.

Even if there was collusion, I don't feel that the result was so obviously unjust to cause the uproar we are hearing now -- unless what they saw in SLC was completely different from what I saw on TV. (And remember, I saw it multiple times, with instant replay and slo-mo.)

----

One more thing --

The announcers should be ashamed. They didn't tell us a damn thing useful. (What elements were included in the programs? Did one team do more elements than the other? Why did you call one program more difficult -- what made it that way? What is this "one by one" scoring Scott Hamilton referred to? What were the "four mistakes" Sandra Bezic noted in the Russians' program? etc. They don't answer any of these questions -- no WONDER people are confused!)

I am disgusted, and this is only the first skating event of the Olys. I dread the men's and women's finals.

Now, off to read the news articles about collusion... (sigh)

[...]

Oh, hey, one more thing I forgot to mention. Apparently Sale & Pelletier had an illegal lift in their program -- his hand was on her thigh instead of her hip. So they weren't quite perfect in what they did. From a spectator's perspective, who cares. But it does matter to a judge, perhaps.

MythandLore

First Post
NEW POLL!
Vote now: What do you think the ISU should do about the pairs decision?
http://www.olympics.com/news/706777.asp

1372983.jpg

French admit judge was pressured
http://www.msnbc.com/news/705743.asp

NBC News reports judge said federation pushed her to vote for Russians
SALT LAKE CITY, Feb. 13 - French judge Marie Reine Le Gougne announced at a routine, post-competition judges’ meeting Tuesday that she voted for the Russians in the pairs figure skating final because she had been pressured to do so by the French figure skating association, NBC News learned Wednesday.

Last edited:

Sammael99

First Post
Berandor said:
Just reposting this from the old thread, as I found it very helpful, and don't want it to be missed...

Thanks very much for reposting this. Certainly puts the whole thing in a different light...

It goes to show that one shouldn't listen to the dorks on TV...

Storm Raven

First Post
Sammael99 said:
Thanks very much for reposting this. Certainly puts the whole thing in a different light...

Yeah, it was only Scott Hamilton who questioned the judges decision, he doesn't know anything about how skating is supposed to be judged. We should discount him for some guy on the ENBoards who wasn't even at the actual event (who says you can't really tell a lot of stuff without being there). Yeah, it is the "dorks on TV" who don't know the whole story. Right.

You'd never have this sort of problem in a close speed skating race. The "big controversy" in the short track relay heats last night (the Korean and Italian teams falling down) was such a non-event that it didn't even get more than a minor mention in today's papers (since it didn't impinge on the integrity of the sport).

Last edited:

Storm Raven

First Post
Quickbeam said:
Now the problems with my comments:
1) Figure skating (like diving, gymnastics, and several other Olympic Sports) is subject to judging. There isn't a clock, measuring tape, finish line, or any other objective means to determine the "winners." Therefore personal bias and politics will ALWAYS have a place in determining the final outcome. This sucks, but that's the way it is.

Just a note, in today's Washington Post, columnist Michael Wilbon had this to say (I've snipped it down to various excerpts to save space rather than reprint his entire column, you can read his entire column at washingtonpost.com).

• Michael Wilbon: If it is decided by judges, it is not a sport.

It means figure skating is no better than boxing.

Where there are Olympic judges, there is scandal.

The most distasteful Olympic affair I've ever seen in 22 years of sportswriting took place at the 1988 Seoul Games. U.S. boxer Roy Jones Jr. -- yes, that Roy Jones -- hit a Korean boxer in the face, head and chest, with about 75 clean, unobstructed blows. Jones's opponent could barely stand at the end of the fight. It might be the most one-sided amateur bout I've ever seen that didn't end in a knockout.

But guess who won this fight, which, by the way, took place in Seoul?

The Korean kid.

I filed my story, took a taxi to the media village, packed my stuff and flew home. I felt dirty just watching this match. An American coach I knew fairly well called me in the States a couple of days later and told me he had seen pieces of gold changing hands, and as much as I knew Jones had been jobbed, I didn't want to believe that. Judges openly accepting bribes? Didn't want to believe it.

Now? Nothing surprises me when it comes to Olympics judges, and from everything we've learned the last few years, figure skating judges are worse than boxing judges.

Half of my ongoing bluster about figure skating is just my way of tweaking people who love it so, like my friend, Christine Brennan, formerly of The Post and now of USA Today. My position is that any event in which the outcome is determined exclusively by judging ain't a sport. In boxing, you can knock somebody out and prevent the judges from ever becoming involved. Brennan, who has written two books on figure skating, has always taken exception to my position. So I called her in Salt Lake City on Tuesday and asked her how she was going to defend figure skating this time, and she said: "I can't. I'm moving closer to you now."

I am going to Salt Lake City for the second half of these 16-day Games. I want to see hockey, maybe some speedskating, and I love the skiing. I want to see sports where people are matched against other people, or at the very least a clock. I have zero interest in Sasha Cohen skating under Michelle Kwan's chin.

Today, figure skating got exactly what it deserves.

Based on this column, I'd say that figure skating has possibly irreperably harmed itself.

Last edited:

You should have checked out my post that followed that one up on the old thread. The guy who posted it wherever he posted it doesn't know what he's talking about in a number of areas.
  • The next night NBC showed exactly what the elements were that the Russians missed, and explained exactly what kinds of mistakes they were (there were four.)
  • The poster makes a big deal about the artistic scores, but the controversy is over the technical scores, of which three judges gave them tied scores. Even he admits that the technical scores should be lower. Not only is he inconsistent, he apparently doesn't even know what the scores are, despite having allegedly studied them in detail.
  • Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic are both Olympic medal-holding former skaters. This guy is... what? Yeah, those "dorks on TV" don't know what they're talking about alright...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
I think there is a middle-ground position here: You can defend the skating itself, but you cannot defend the corrupt judging and problematic judging.

It's been allowed to be corrupted, it fosters corruption, and it needs to be fixed. There's a difference between knowing that a judge will define by his or her abilities what is good and what is not and judging to the best of their human ability, and the outright buying/swapping/blackmailing of votes by a regional block as we've seen over and over in skating (and hey, North American/Allied countries aren't always fair either - it does go both ways).

I feel for the athletes. I can't imagine they go to these things in the belief that they have no real 'say' (as in their technical expertise and artistic imagination) in how they will place in the event, but rather on how the countries decide to allow them to be ranked. They are hoping their work will speak for itself.

Eventually, though, people who think skating should be dropped because it's not a 'sport' will get their way if these things aren't fixed. People will stop watching and athletes will stop participating, not because it isn't a sport, but because it isn't fair. And IMHO that would be a loss.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what happens. Canadian skating officials are trying to really play the "we're not trying to pull someone down, we're trying to bring someone up" angle, and pointing out that there is nothing in the rules that prevents medals from being switched, or, as they've put forth, awarding a second pair of Golds to Canada. What will be unfortunate is that if this isn't resolved, and votes were literally bought, the reprocussions of this will be felt as quickly as the arrival of the dance competition, where the French don't have a judge but have an entrant. How can these possibly be allowed to continue when the investigation hasn't even begun? Is it acceptable to just let the matches continue, knowing that SOMETHING is up, and will play out to its corrupt conclusion?

*sigh* What a mess.

Ashtal

Storm Raven

First Post
Ashtal said:
It's been allowed to be corrupted, it fosters corruption, and it needs to be fixed. There's a difference between knowing that a judge will define by his or her abilities what is good and what is not and judging to the best of their human ability, and the outright buying/swapping/blackmailing of votes by a regional block as we've seen over and over in skating (and hey, North American/Allied countries aren't always fair either - it does go both ways).

Well, I think the real problem with this reasoning now is that I think it is very possible that this sort of very public scndal may have irreparably damaged figure skating's integrity in the view of many people.

Now, I start with a bias (one that I share with Michael Wilbon) in that I am very suspicious of judged events in general, and think they don't belong in the Olympics to begin with. I have always thought that judged events, by the very subjective nature of the format, were very susceptible to corruption and arbitrary results as the judges just decide who they want to win and then rig the results until they fit what they want. The counter to this thought has always been that the judges have very high integrity, and look out for the best interests of figure skating, and try to be as impartial as they can.

But that was prior to this very public exposure of the corrupt nature of figure skating. Sure, there have been things that were suspicious in the past, and in many cases examples of likely corruption. Judges setting out the results of the ice dancing competition before the teams skated, judges using foot signals to coordinate their voting, Oksana Baiul's coaches mother being one of the judges at her Olympic competition, and a number of other pieces of information. But now there is more than just pieces of information, now you have the French skating President making apologies for the "fragile" nature of the French judge, and the referee of the event lodging a formal protest and a number of other things.

Now the arguments that figure skating isn't rife with corruption simply carry no weight. And the root cause of the corrpution is the subjective nature of the sport itself. And the problem for figure skating is that even if it does really clean itself up, and make serious changes to ensure impartiality, you can't get rid of the subjective element of the event. And because of that a cloud of doubt will always hang over figure skating (and quite possibly, other judged events) because of the very real opportunity to abuse the system and corrupt the results. I doubt if skating, even if completely cleaned up, will ever be able to lift that cloud of doubt that hangs over it right now.

Now, given the ISU president's response to the questions from reporters in his recent press conference (in which he belittled them for not being judges and having the temerity to question the results), I don't think there is any chance that figure skating will really clean itself up. Given the ISU president's downright hostile reaction to one of the most reasonable proposals made (change the judging so that only neutral judges would be on the panel), I think skating will hunker down into its self-referential bunker, stick their fingers in their ears and say "I don't hear you, la, la, la, la".

About the only way I can think of for figure skating to reasonably recover its reputation would be for the IOC to throw them out and tell them "come back when you've fixed the problems and we'll investigate to see if you did, and then maybe reinstate your event." That won't happen, but unless that, or something similar happens, the ISU won't fix anything, and the cloud of suspicion will trail the event for a long time.

Last edited:

Remove ads