D&D 2E On AD&D 2E

I don't know. I think it depends on HOW you define options. If you define it as narrowly defined classes and feats and races...then sure, 3.X blows 2e out of the water.

Even then, 2E had kits (instead of new classes and prestige classes). So numerically, I think they did have about the same amount of options. What is key in my opinion is what these options achieved: 2E was a lot more flavor focused, 3E a lot more mechanics focused. Also 3E's robust multi class system, meant those options could be used to create combinations the designers never anticipated. Whereas 2E things felt more contained by things like setting premises and flavor considerations (i.e. in 3E it was a lot more acceptable to treat the mechanical outcome as the end, whereas in 2E the expectation was mechanics flowed from the flavor).

The CDs have word files for the PH, DMG, Tome of Magic, and most of the Complete series so you should be able to copy and paste spell and magic item descriptions.

I never got the core rules set itself but I got the CD with the word files and found them great for my purposes.

The PDFs that DriveThru sells have variable PDF quality for these purposes. There is a big variability in the quality of the OCR scans, and a few have no OCR at all.
Does anyone remember the 2E modules, like A Light in the Belfry, that came with audio CDs where you played them instead of reading the boxed text?

Does anyone remember the 2E modules, like A Light in the Belfry, that came with audio CDs where you played them instead of reading the boxed text?
I also remember the attempt at soundtracks. Was the first time I encountered Midnight Syndicate (known mostly for Halloween soundtrack albums now).

R_J_K75

Legend
I miss specialty priests too, but I get why they did away with them. They basically require you to design a whole new class for every god in a setting – three whole books were required to cover the FR gods. The 3e domain system lets you have some variability both between different gods and between different priests of the same god without needing a whole class, allowing for quantity over quality.

Also, I am not sure about Faiths & Avatars quality-wise anymore. It felt amazing at the time, but now it feels... formulaic. All the gods are described in the same fashion, and to some degree they feel like they're forced into a Christianity-like Mad Libs template ("The holy book is _______, and their primary holy day is _______. Things associated with the god are _______, _________, and ________, and priests often wear the color _______."). I actually think Faiths of Eberron is a better book, because it has more focus on the actual faiths rather than gods. Of course, I'm biased because I prefer the way Eberron handles faith and gods in general, and it definitely helps that the book gets to focus on four major and a handful of minor religions rather than a couple of dozen gods.
If I had my way. I'd have a monotheistic deity, which any alignment could worship. We did this at a session 0 once and we all agreed that we didnt want to keep track of 97 gods, so we made one...THE EYE. Its sees everything and goes great with Iron Maiden's "Strange World"!!!

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
You are probably right about that. I think the combination of the internet, and things like 3Es very fluid approach to multi classing (plus all its feats and other elements) played a role.

Definitely. I recall players doing what they could in 2E. Min maxing was certainly a thing. It could even occasionally present an issue, but just nothing like on the level I encountered in 3E. The biggest issue it presented in most of my campaigns wasn't so much about balance (as they only through it off so much, and if they threw it off too much, the spirit of the rules was considered much more important than the letter of the rules, so something that felt off got instantly nixed by the group (i.e. this combination was clearly not intended, it is way too powerful)...it usually presented more of a role-play issue (the player focusing more on mechanical benefit of choices rather than a character idea. And that didn't bother me that much as some players are there for the game aspect of play

But again, these all felt fairly minimal in impact. For 2E especially, when it comes to attributes, they didn't go with the 4d6 drop the lowest method as default. It did offer like 6 different methods, and if the GM wanted to that certainly could open up the floodgates. But the default (Method I) was 3d6 straight down in order. The optional methods produced better characters but they were entirely under the decision of the GM.

I agree thieves could be quite good. Though other characters did have baselines on things like climb too in the later chapters of the book (not as good as a thief but they could still do it). What I like about the 2E thieve versus later editions is they do stand out, and they are good at things, that other characters simply aren't (but primarily non-combat things or if in combat, very specific instances of combat).
Wait, I thought Voadam was saying Thieves were bad. Either way, I will argue that they definitely are not good, having played a lot of them.

People will bring up their rapid level advancement, but they got so little out of their levels it was sad. Second worst at everything, hit points, armor (the penalties for daring to wear anything outside of leather were extremely prohibitive), and attack progression. Even with their level progression, they don't compare well to Clerics or Fighters in combat.

So you might say that "well, they're not a combat class" so let's look at their skills. The weighting for Dexterity is ridiculous; a 16 nets you a 5% bonus to one skill, a 17 basically puts you 0.5 levels ahead compared to a Thief with less Dexterity, an 18 is basically a full level of progression, and a 19 is actually 1.5 levels.

Then we get to the values themselves; if you go by 2e rules which let you optimize important abilities and ignore less useful ones for adventuring (like say, Pick Pockets), a Halfling Thief with a 19 Dexterity can get, at best, a coin flip (50%) to use, say, Move Silently and Hide in Shadows.

With a Kit, you might be able to do better, but the ones in the Thieves' Handbook are very conservative (some of the better ones are the Dwarven Locksmith and the Gnome Mouseburglar).

If you're trying to help out in combat with a bow, you're ok, but backstab is a complete waste of time, not only is it's use highly restrictive (target must be unaware of you, you must strike from behind, you must be able to reach a vital area), you multiply the damage of, at best, a long sword or broadsword, and can totally fail to kill the thing you just stabbed at which point now you are in a solo combat since you are no doubt nowhere near your party.

Even at level 5, you can be struggling to do all the things your party needs you to do, such as finding all traps, opening all locks, scouting ahead, and providing more damage than a wizard throwing darts, lol.

My experiences with the class have been miserable, as a single class. Multiclassing is really the only way to go, where you're down one level compared to a straight Thief, so at least you have something useful to do until you hit level 6-7 when you're actually competent.

GreyLord

Legend
I also think 3E brought back some very big essentials to play that 2E lacked (especially towards the end of its run). I think bringing back the half orc, bringing the Barbarian in, bringing back the monk, bringing back the dungeon, getting back to fighting monsters more, these were all good things the game needed (one problem with 2E is it did start to get too focused on meandering RP and story to a degree that detracted from other aspects of the experience: I remember having some sessions that were just people talking in a tavern, and that was even something folks would brag about, but the older I got the less fun that kind of gaming experience was for me---I need some amount of action).

I think both systems were good, but both had weaknesses, and interestingly, I think their weakness both stemmed from their strength (which is somewhat inevitable).

Of note, 2e actually had the Half-Orc, Barbarian, and the Monk in it's official rules by the end of it's run. They were added via various supplements (they also had the Assassin. The Monk had several versions, but they also had the version that was closest to the 1e Monk as well).

Of note, 2e actually had the Half-Orc, Barbarian, and the Monk in it's official rules by the end of it's run. They were added via various supplements (they also had the Assassin. The Monk had several versions, but they also had the version that was closest to the 1e Monk as well).
Additionally, the various "Complete" books had 1e versions of classes (that includes the Barbarian book). I think the only ones I don't remember seeing were Cavalier and Thief-Acrobat.

Voadam

Legend
Wait, I thought Voadam was saying Thieves were bad. Either way, I will argue that they definitely are not good, having played a lot of them.
I was. :)

They were a mechanical variation of magic users with percentage thief skills and backstab instead of spells plus slightly better attacks, leather armor, and some extra weapons. Eventually they get possible scroll use. They are not comparable to magic users in combat. Lower xp requirements did not make up for it. Demihumans being unlimited as thieves in 1e was their best feature.

It might have been nice if they just succeeded on their thief skills instead of being fail majority of the time for the first set of levels. I really liked the turning of backstab into effective sneak attack in 3e/4e/5e. 3e was conceptually great but lacking in execution, 4e was fantastic. 5e is decent.

I started in B/X so I am used to mostly no skill system so everyone is social and you player skill or hand wave your way through most skill things ("we canoe down the river" or whatever) and I really like that more immersive narrative mode over fiddly mechanics and character build siloing.

Remove ads