• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General On gatekeeping and the 'live-streaming edition wars'

The only time D&D "overextended itself" was in the 90s*, when it published reams of materials for settings like.... ahuh ... Spelljammer and Dark Sun. The very same settings we now have people demanding! Whereas in the 90s we had Greyhawk grognards annoyed at the publishing of new fangled things like those settings and the dratted "Forgotten Realms" malarkey.

Circle of life man....

* Also coincidently when Matt Mercer started playind D&D.

I don't have any numbers, but my feeling is that the majority of Critical Role fans play D&D. Either from before they started watching, or since they got into the game because of Critical Role. That's a lot of D&D customers who have a vested interest in this campaign setting, and I would think many D&D players who don't watch Critical Role, many of whom may not even know about Critical Role, would also be interested in a new setting.

You would think that would go without saying, right? It's not like there's going to be a big sticker on the cover of the book saying "HEY! IF YOU DON'T WATCH STREAMING ACTUAL PLAY SHOWS, YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THIS!"

There will be people who pick it up just because they're interested to see what this new setting is about. I mean when I bought the FR grey box back in the late 80s, I did so without having read a single one of the novels. Honestly, to this day the only ones I've read have been the Avatar Trilogy and that wasn't until years later. I just wanted to check out a new setting and see what was up - I didn't have to be a fan of the related media to enjoy it.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I don't watch the streams, because they ... don't work for me, on several levels. On the other hand, if it weren't for CR, I wouldn't be playing or DMing 5E (complicated plotty reasons), and there are players in both of the groups I'm DMing that wouldn't be playing, either. My wife loves CR, and we've already pre-ordered this book; I'll probably look through it when we get it, and if there's anything worth grabbing (that's not tightly-bound to the setting) I'll yoink it for future use in my homebrew setting.

3catcircus

Adventurer
The only time D&D "overextended itself" was in the 90s*, when it published reams of materials for settings like.... ahuh ... Spelljammer and Dark Sun. The very same settings we now have people demanding! Whereas in the 90s we had Greyhawk grognards annoyed at the publishing of new fangled things like those settings and the dratted "Forgotten Realms" malarkey.

Circle of life man....

* Also coincidently when Matt Mercer started playind D&D.
Not exactly true. 3e overextended itself. 4e's essentials was an overextension (although badly needed from an errata standpoint).

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Actually (and coincidentally) since Eberron's Gatekeepers are focussed on defending nature against outsiders and other unnatural creatures, the Oath of the Watchers from the recent UA makes a good fit. :p
I didn't get any further than the name. I filed that UA away in a folder to look at later. :)

GameOgre

Adventurer
Obviously D&D overextended itself! Why is this even being debated? THE GAME HAS BOTH GNOMES & PALADINS! I have even heard that Perkins guy talking about Gnome Paladin's

Declare Bold statements! Issue Dire Warnings! Bemoan possible Fate!

Remove ads