D&D 5E On meaningless restrictions

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Yes.
However I'd go to them an tell them that for many skills,the action can only be performed once so either they have to agree on how they will share rogue time or choose different suites of skills.

But I will likely force them to choose a few different skills either way.

So why wouldn't you tell the wizard player the same thing, assuming he is trying to take the same skills as the rogue - perhaps he wants a wizard-thief?

FrogReaver

Fighter:

Choose two skills from Acrobatics, Animal, Handling, Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, and Survival

Wizard:

Skills: Choose two from Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, and Religion

So using those two examples, we can posit the following:

A. First, it isn't quite true that you choose any two skills to start with. While there is the custom background option, most players IME choose an "off the rack" background. But, let's assume they are choosing the skills a la carte.

B. Then, in this case, there is an overlap of one (1) skill- history. That is IMO a meaningful distinction between the two classes.

YMMV. That doesn't mean your idea is bad, or that you shouldn't do away with class-based skill restrictions, but that is one example of where the skill restrictions are part of the class identity.

4 nCr 18 = 3060 total combinations of 4 skills.

There are 5 unique skills on the wizards list when compared to the fighter list. Any combination of 3 of them with 1 of any other skill the fighter cannot take. There are 150 combinations of skills the fighter cannot take that the wizard could have. There are 525 combinations of skills the wizard cannot take that the fighter can.

I should have done the math sooner. That's significant.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
So why wouldn't you tell the wizard player the same thing, assuming he is trying to take the same skills as the rogue - perhaps he wants a wizard-thief?

I would tell wizard the same thing.

The difference is in the 2 rogue scenarios, they have equal rights. For the wizard/rogue scenario, the rogue gets first dibs on rogue skills as they are the rogue.

FrogReaver

I would tell wizard the same thing.

The difference is in the 2 rogue scenarios, they have equal rights. For the wizard/rogue scenario, the rogue gets first dibs on rogue skills as they are the rogue.

That's fair. I was curious how that would be handled.

jasper

Rotten DM

Take for example saving throws. Why can't a player just choose 1 major (dex, con, wis) and 1 minor (str, int, cha) to be proficient in? What does that hurt? It certainly can help with character concept IMO.

Thoughts?
As Dm thank you or making the game harder for me. Running with saving throw as is, my minor Int 12+ spellcasters know to target certain classes for spells. Hmm Fighter lets hit him with a charm because Wisdom is not is best save. My major villains now have to research the pcs to target them. Gee Wally the wizard has chosen Str and con as his best saves. Frank Fighter has Wisdom and Cha as his best.
DM. "Ming the mean casts charm person on Wally."
Wally " How the beep does Ming know I weak in that area. He has never been around to spy on us."
DM pulls out the 4 sheets of notes from his campaign showing Wally where Ming's Minion watch the pcs fight, or the minions had social encounters with the pcs.
I would have to change my sign in sheet to include a row of best saves.

As Dm thank you or making the game harder for me. Running with saving throw as is, my minor Int 12+ spellcasters know to target certain classes for spells. Hmm Fighter lets hit him with a charm because Wisdom is not is best save. My major villains now have to research the pcs to target them. Gee Wally the wizard has chosen Str and con as his best saves. Frank Fighter has Wisdom and Cha as his best.
DM. "Ming the mean casts charm person on Wally."
Wally " How the beep does Ming know I weak in that area. He has never been around to spy on us."
DM pulls out the 4 sheets of notes from his campaign showing Wally where Ming's Minion watch the pcs fight, or the minions had social encounters with the pcs.
I would have to change my sign in sheet to include a row of best saves.
Yep, with such a variety, it would also become hard for players to target enemy with appropriate spells that would target the enemies' weaknesses.
Bob the Priest: HA! An ogre! I'll cast hold monster on it.
DM: Rolls a 13 in front of the player. He successfully saves.
Bob the Priest: No way! Ogres are weak on will saves!
DM: Not this one, Bob. Not this one...

It would require a lot of unnecessary work for the DM to apply this. And many suspicious players would want to see your notes afterwards to be sure that you the DM was not cheating to make things more... interesting?
I know that my players would like to see them for sure.

I do like that your NPCs are doing research/spying on your PCs. Just like me. What the PCs can do, so can the NPCs. Magic can come in handy, speak with dead, contact other plane to contact the souls of enemies slain by the PCs to learn about their tactics etc... Or even plain old non magical spies.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Skills, I attach no class significance to them. I generally have players build by the rules but I really dont care, if they wanted a different skill to match a concept I'd say sure. Part of lack of care is how unbalanced the skill list is. I don't think a fighter taking arcana or a paladin picking locks is a big deal unless the players have no idea what one another are building, and even then, hey, build the character that gives you feels.

Remove ads