On number of ignores

Status
Not open for further replies.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Which...........................is just what I have been talking about. :p

Huh. Yeah, I can see how that very brief, very civil misunderstanding actually makes your case. That said, I can also see why Gradine finds it very useful.

I think the overall lesson to be learned (if there is one) is that two-way blocking is probably a good feature, but the one we have might not have the best overall design. Perhaps the best way to do it would be to show (both sides) that there is a post there, with maybe a button (similar to a spoiler, I suppose) that one can press if they want to read what is being said, but that they can easily ignore if they notice "oh, THAT person is speaking." (Though then you would have to remember who they are and why you ignored them). Or something like that.

I dunno. I always assume that things can be better than they are, even if they work well enough as is.

CapnZapp

Legend
For someone who is seemingly advocating for the side of decency, you seem to be doing a lot of work to escalate the tension level here.

You know that a person can find a feature mildly annoying (say, just enough to feel like talking about it in a thread that's specifically designed to talk about it) without having so strong an opinion that they have to be "entitled and self-absorbed".

Forgive me, but it just seems a bit overly strong and personal.
I would generally agree with you, but please realize you're not talking about my first and most friendly attempt to give Max the realization "psst... you know that feature you feel is annoying; it's actually purposeful and if you just think about it, you'll realize why it's worth the inconvenience..."

CapnZapp

Legend
Because no one has ever wasted their time on features before. This feature really does next to nothing. Someone driven to harass won't be stopped by something that literally only requires a few clicks of the mouse to get around. Heck, a harasser will probably make multiple accounts to get around it.
You never let up, do you? It is getting increasingly easier to understand why you apparently are on the receiving end of so many ignores...

That there are some who let nothing stop them is no argument against not providing the two-block service. You see, most people won't go to the lengths of logging out, sockpuppeteering, comparing post counts etc etc, and it is these people who the system "helps" be nicer simply by them never seeing the posts that trigger them.

(Of course, our concern is with the victims and not the perpetrators, which is why I put "help" in quotes)

If the system really did nothing, nobody would use it, and you would not experience any problems. Since you do, your argument falls flat.

It is time for you to realize the system isn't about you, and the bumpy ride when you're getting ignored is definitely a price worth paying.

CapnZapp

Legend
I think the overall lesson to be learned (if there is one) is that two-way blocking is probably a good feature, but the one we have might not have the best overall design. Perhaps the best way to do it would be to show (both sides) that there is a post there, with maybe a button (similar to a spoiler, I suppose) that one can press if they want to read what is being said, but that they can easily ignore if they notice "oh, THAT person is speaking." (Though then you would have to remember who they are and why you ignored them).
If you want that, access the site through the EN World app. There it works literally exactly as you have described. (Do keep in mind you're talking about people you have ignored while this thread is about people who have ignored you)

I explored the various differences between the standard Xenforo web interface and the Tapatalk app back in post #65.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That there are some who let nothing stop them is no argument against not providing the two-block service. You see, most people won't go to the lengths of logging out, sockpuppeteering, comparing post counts etc etc, and it is these people who the system "helps" be nicer simply by them never seeing the posts that trigger them.
Yes, and those are the people who also are not harassing anyone. The few who feel strongly enough to harass aren't going to be stopped by this feature or any feature of the current block system.
(Of course, our concern is with the victims and not the perpetrators, which is why I put "help" in quotes)
There are no victims or perpetrators by those people who aren't going to go through the above lengths to harass people. Being in a disagreement or whatever reason and deciding to block someone or become blocked isn't enough make for victims and perpetrators. There has to be much more and at that point, the mods are going to step in hard. Nobody who has blocked me has ever been a victim of mine and I have never been a perpetrator.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Now you presume to talk for other people. You are getting uncomfortably insensitive. Stop minimizing the value people see in proper functioning two-way blocking.
I haven't. From your response and the responses of others, it's clear that I have done nothing to minimize the value they see in the feature. Only they can do that.

ccs

41st lv DM
Could you add a line in our profiles "Members ignoring you: #" or similar?

That might be of interest/use. Even if you don't have a bunch of warning points, if you realize that x amount of people don't like what you're posting....

CapnZapp

Legend
I haven't. From your response and the responses of others, it's clear that I have done nothing to minimize the value they see in the feature. Only they can do that.
I am explaining to you that while you see little value in the feature, the value is there. By falsely claiming the feature lacks value, and asking it be removed based on limited and incomplete reasoning, you come across as invalidating the experiences of people that are truly helped by the efforts of Xenforo to strengthen the privacy and integrity of the system. I tried to make you see how insensitive you come across when you refuse to acknowledge this value, but you have doubled down on sticking only to your own - limited - viewpoint. This does nothing to help your argument.

At this point, there is nothing more to say. If you persist in making this feature about you, I might test the feature on you. Using your own logic, I should expect to be harassed elsewhere. Yet, I predict it will work - and work beautifully :)

CapnZapp

Legend
Could you add a line in our profiles "Members ignoring you: #" or similar?

That might be of interest/use. Even if you don't have a bunch of warning points, if you realize that x amount of people don't like what you're posting....
Well, the point is to be able to ignore someone as silently as possible, giving no indication the person isn't seeing your posts. So I would guess the answer from the mods will be "no".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads