On number of ignores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, let us put it this way...

@CapnZapp, I commend how respectful you have kept this discussion. You've patiently laid out the points well. However, he's not going to change his mind, and that's okay. He doesn't have to agree. I think you can let it go at this point.

@Maxperson, Your complaints have been heard, but we just don't agree with your assessments. We will not be changing the feature at this time. We'd recommend you move on to something more constructive.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

@CapnZapp, I commend how respectful you have kept this discussion. You've patiently laid out the points well. However, he's not going to change his mind, and that's okay. He doesn't have to agree. I think you can let it go at this point.
He's "respectfully" said things to me like,

"I was merely trying to help you understand you need to educate yourself as to why this is set up in a way contrary to your wishes."

"You're making yourself look like an entitled fool...

"I engaged because I saw you were in danger of putting your foot in your mouth. Now that you have there's nothing I can help you with."

I'll let it go, but it would be nice if you didn't gloss over his statements by calling them respectful.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
He's "respectfully" said things to me like,

"I was merely trying to help you understand you need to educate yourself as to why this is set up in a way contrary to your wishes."

"You're making yourself look like an entitled fool...

"I engaged because I saw you were in danger of putting your foot in your mouth. Now that you have there's nothing I can help you with."

I'll let it go, but it would be nice if you didn't gloss over his statements by calling them respectful.
Maybe you should block him.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
My only gripe is that I did not know it was bidirectional! Oh well. I unblocked the last one I had...

I think it’s a good feature. I got sick of political posts on Facebook and hid people. I saw less of their garbage...works well here too.

90+ percent of people are decent enough. There is a percentage though that have issues that routinely effect others. Blocking is the only really good option.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I would generally agree with you, but please realize you're not talking about my first and most friendly attempt to give Max the realization "psst... you know that feature you feel is annoying; it's actually purposeful and if you just think about it, you'll realize why it's worth the inconvenience..."
I understand that. I think he did too, though I'll not speak for him. I just felt like you were making your point rather aggressively. (I'm not really meaning to defend Max here, exactly - Gradine made it very clear why they find the feature useful, and it answered any questions I have as to its worth: It's needed.)

If you want that, access the site through the EN World app. There it works literally exactly as you have described. (Do keep in mind you're talking about people you have ignored while this thread is about people who have ignored you)

I explored the various differences between the standard Xenforo web interface and the Tapatalk app back in post #65.
I was only spitballing possible ways that it might work to stop from causing misunderstandings, which happened upthread. (Though I was able to work that one out, anyway). I wasn't talking about any particular side of the ignore feature, though. I meant for it to work both ways.

But it doesn't matter what I think - again, I don't need it to do anything in particular. I haven't ignored anyone and I don't think anyone has ignored me. I have no skin in this game. It's probably past time that I leave it alone.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Huh. Yeah, I can see how that very brief, very civil misunderstanding actually makes your case. That said, I can also see why Gradine finds it very useful.

I think the overall lesson to be learned (if there is one) is that two-way blocking is probably a good feature, but the one we have might not have the best overall design. Perhaps the best way to do it would be to show (both sides) that there is a post there, with maybe a button (similar to a spoiler, I suppose) that one can press if they want to read what is being said, but that they can easily ignore if they notice "oh, THAT person is speaking." (Though then you would have to remember who they are and why you ignored them). Or something like that.

I dunno. I always assume that things can be better than they are, even if they work well enough as is.
If possible, the ideal solution would be a “sticker” showing where a post or quote you can’t see is, that only allows you to click and see the text if it’s someone you have blocked. You shouldn’t be able to circumvent someone blocking you without logging out.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
If possible, the ideal solution would be a “sticker” showing where a post or quote you can’t see is, that only allows you to click and see the text if it’s someone you have blocked. You shouldn’t be able to circumvent someone blocking you without logging out.
That makes sense, though I'm not sure I understand why one would care if a blocked person can read their posts as long as they can't respond to them. (I mean, if that's what people want out of it, more power to them, but it's not something that I can imagine myself caring about. What do I know? Clearly not much.)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

@Maxperson, Your complaints have been heard, but we just don't agree with your assessments. We will not be changing the feature at this time. We'd recommend you move on to something more constructive.
Cap has not been respectful to Max, at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads