On number of ignores

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccs

41st lv DM
Well, the point is to be able to ignore someone as silently as possible, giving no indication the person isn't seeing your posts. So I would guess the answer from the mods will be "no".
Oh I don't care who's ignoring me, or why. I just think it'd be interesting to know the # of them.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Oh I don't care who's ignoring me, or why. I just think it'd be interesting to know the # of them.
By virtue of closely monitoring your number of blockers and seeing the number increment you can make a fairly accurate assessment of just who has blocked you. Not that I would bother, much too lazy, but the internet seems full of obsessive that do just that thing.

TheSword

Legend
Well, the point is to be able to ignore someone as silently as possible, giving no indication the person isn't seeing your posts. So I would guess the answer from the mods will be "no".
Yeah definitely the number would be helpful. The same way we have the number of warnings listed.

Incidentally it’s really obvious when someone blocks you, if they are a regular poster. For instance, I no longer see endless numbers of rambling threads about Greyhawk. 😂😂

Aldarc

Legend
It's kind of nice to discover that some of the people that had been on my ignore list have since been either banned, disabled their profiles, or no longer appear to be active posters. That truncated my ignore list to a small handful.

The ignore feature is meant to lessen the friction on the board. If you don't even see that somebody has blocked you, you are much less likely to harass that person elsewhere on the internet. What you are suggesting amounts to the forum constantly reminding people they are "blocked by X" which is NOT HELPFUL.

That this causes you inconvenience is utterly beside the point. That a stalker determined enough to monitor the forum while logged out to find out who is ignoring him or her is also missing the point - most people won't bother doing that, and when they don't, the system is working as intended.
I know for a fact that I put one person on my ignore list precisely to reduce the friction that we can collectively cause the forums. If I can't see their posts, then it removes any inclination that they have to either respond to me or for me to respond back. And on the whole, it makes life easier for the Mods and people reading the forums.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Question about the Ignore Feature:

If you set someone on Ignore and tried to search their profile, would it show up?

More important question:

If you've been ignored by someone, would it be obvious by looking at the profile of the person that blocked you?

TheSword

Legend
Question about the Ignore Feature:

If you set someone on Ignore and tried to search their profile, would it show up?

More important question:

If you've been ignored by someone, would it be obvious by looking at the profile of the person that blocked you?
I believe you can search for the profile in both cases but if you try and click on details you just get an oops reading.

I just checked, and I have 5 users on ignore. (Although I'm pretty sure two of those accounts were the same person.) I put them all on ignore after a very contentious thread in which the opinions they expressed were so distasteful to me I didn't want to read anything else they had written.

In true internet style, I have now completely forgotten what that thread was about! So I'm taking them all off ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases