D&D General On PC Death

Oh no! The dice turned against you and your character is DEAD! How do you respond?

• "?&$# this! I quit!"

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • "Fine!" ::write "The Second" after the character's name::

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Sobbing, rocking, pleading and general misery.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Crumple up character sheet, throw it at GM and dare them to say something.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • "I hated that character anyway!" ::happily roll up new character::

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • "Well, achtually..." ::pull out rulebook and proceed to argue rules to reverse death::

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Beat GM unconscious with 300 page character backstory.

Votes: 4 9.5%

Reynard

Legend
The poll is tongue in cheek, but I am curious how folks actually feel about their PC dying due to "no one's fault" -- that is, bad luck.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Other: I use Hero Points to save my characters bacon. No Hero Points left? Welp, I'm really bad at this!

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Should be multiple choice.

Both
"Fine!" ::write "The Second" after the character's name::
"I hated that character anyway!" ::happily roll up new character::

are my choices.

And these are not mutually exclusive.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
tenor.gif

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Provided the game is presented fairly, players mostly make their own luck by way of their choices so I think blaming it on the dice is a cop out. This is a game about bold adventurers confronting deadly perils. You mitigate luck as much as you can with smart decisions before ever relying on the dice.

Reynard

Legend
One thing I see pretty commonly is players who do not want the chance of essentially random character death. They want it to MEAN something, either in the context of their personal character story, or the larger campaign story. And I get that because a lot of people view TTRPG play as a form of narrative. I don't actually view it that way very often, especially as a player, and I am more interested in seeing what emerges out of play. So unless I feel like something was abjectly unfair, when I lose a PC as a player I find it interesting and then I move on. As a GM, I try not to hinge the campaign on the PCs all surviving...

Remove ads