• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E On the healing options in the 5e DMG

Eric V

Hero
With that said, obviously no one really wants to use a realistic system like in real life where the effects of a simple dagger strike can kill, cripple or possibly maim you for life. You want realistic healing times? Try a year or two for anything but superficial skin surface wounds.

To say nothing of the fact that being so badly hurt (losing 3/5 of one's hp) should drastically reduce combat effectiveness in a realistic system.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
I really hate it when people jump on the whole "want combat to be realistic" wagon when that's not what we are looking for.

4th edition healing was extreme and that's not the kind of healing a lot of people are looking for. There are ways to have fantasy type healing without going to the extreme.

GameOgre

Adventurer
I really hate it when people jump on the whole "want combat to be realistic" wagon when that's not what we are looking for.

4th edition healing was extreme and that's not the kind of healing a lot of people are looking for. There are ways to have fantasy type healing without going to the extreme.

Cool, what do you use? I myself didn't find 4E extreme but it's cool if you did. What did you find extreme about it?

I think what you are reading is peoples response that like the healing rules and find the unrealistic argument hard to understand, of course it's unrealistic! they all are!

I don't fault you or anyone else for finding them too unrealistic! After all that is mostly a taste judgment and while I find it totally acceptable I can think of many options they could have decided to go with that would have left me wanting.

Hussar

Legend

ARRRGGGHHGHG. I've already gone through this TWICE in this thread. NO IT WASN'T. THERE WAS LITTLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 3E and 4E HEALING RATES.

Look at the rules. With a simple heal check, you healed 4xlevel/day in 3.5, 3xlevel/day in 3e. Either way, it was rarely more than a couple of days to heal virtually any wound. And one day would likely catch most wounds. Given the extreme ease with which magical healing was dealt out as well, healing in 3e was pretty much an overnight thing. Two days at most.

Honest. Really. There is not that much difference between one day and two days. I have no problems with people wanting slower healing rates, that's groovy. But, for goodness sakes, can we stop with the whole 4e bashing wagon? "I don't like D&D healing" is far, far closer to the truth of what you want. It has ZERO to do with 4e.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
ARRRGGGHHGHG. I've already gone through this TWICE in this thread. NO IT WASN'T. THERE WAS LITTLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 3E and 4E HEALING RATES.

Look at the rules. With a simple heal check, you healed 4xlevel/day in 3.5, 3xlevel/day in 3e. Either way, it was rarely more than a couple of days to heal virtually any wound. And one day would likely catch most wounds. Given the extreme ease with which magical healing was dealt out as well, healing in 3e was pretty much an overnight thing. Two days at most.

Honest. Really. There is not that much difference between one day and two days. I have no problems with people wanting slower healing rates, that's groovy. But, for goodness sakes, can we stop with the whole 4e bashing wagon? "I don't like D&D healing" is far, far closer to the truth of what you want. It has ZERO to do with 4e.

Amazing how I never even mentioned 3rd edition.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Amazing how I never even mentioned 3rd edition.

That's not amazing at all. You specifically called out 4e, implying by omission that you didn't also find 3e healing to be too extreme. If you found healing to be extreme in both 3e and 4e, then it would have been better to include both editions in your post for two reasons: 1) it makes your post appear less like an edition war post, and 2) it better clarifies the range of healing that you consider to be extreme.

Ranes

Adventurer
ARRRGGGHHGHG. I've already gone through this TWICE in this thread. NO IT WASN'T. THERE WAS LITTLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 3E and 4E HEALING RATES..

Help me out here. This isn't a 4e bash; I'm just curious. If magical healing and a heal skill check aren't available and if a full day's bed rest is out of the question, the best a 3e character can hope for is 1hp per level per day. What would be the baseline 4e rate in equivalent circumstances? I always had the impression that it was much faster (which I don't claim would be intrinsically a Bad Thing). I'm happy to be enlightened and any explanation would help me take stock of 5e's mechanics better.

Thanks.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned

Let's look at that rule as well shall we?

Long-Term Care: Providing long-term care means treating a
wounded person for a day or more. If your Heal check is successful,
CHAPTER 4:
SKILLS
the patient recovers hit points or ability score points (lost to ability
damage) at twice the normal rate: 2 hit points per level for a full 8
hours of rest in a day, or 4 hit points per level for each full day of
complete rest; 2 ability score points for a full 8 hours of rest in a day,
or 4 ability score points for each full day of complete rest. You can
tend as many as six patients at a time. You need a few items and
supplies (bandages, salves, and so on) that are easy to come by in
settled lands.
Giving long-term care counts as light activity for the healer. You
cannot give long-term care to yourself.

Okay that is someone tending to you with bandages and salves while you are basically bed ridden all day. Also, it requires someone else to do it which means you can't work on yourself.

You could be a lone adventurer in 4th edition and go from dying to full without any aid from a person and bandages and such in no time.

If you want to quote this crap, how about you actually quote the full monty and delve into it a little deeper.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
That's not amazing at all. You specifically called out 4e, implying by omission that you didn't also find 3e healing to be too extreme. If you found healing to be extreme in both 3e and 4e, then it would have been better to include both editions in your post for two reasons: 1) it makes your post appear less like an edition war post, and 2) it better clarifies the range of healing that you consider to be extreme.

Actually my point was quite clear and no matter which edition prior to it, no other edition comes close to the way 4th edition handled healing.

Sounds a bit like edition warring to me.

Remove ads