• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Once per encounter powers outside of combat?

Zsig

Explorer
I'm not sure, but i remember seeing somewhere that in order to regain per encounter powers you need to take a "short rest".

Short Rests are 5 minutes long.

Nevermind... i guess i didn't read the OP right.
Yes, you can do it as many times as you want.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
robgmsft said:
Can our cleric rest 5 minutes, add +1d6 to two party member's healing surge, rinse and repeat?

Yes. Every 5 minutes, the cleric could use Healing Word. If you have time, it can be an efficient way to heal.

But remember that the surges the cleric is triggering are also getting used and those only recover with an Extended Rest.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
That's the way to do it. If you have time to take a short rest and everyone is wounded, it's a smart play to have the cleric do his Healing Words, rest, do more Healing Words, rest, and so on. As opposed to having wounded people just spend healing surges "cold", without the benefit of the cleric's +1d6 + Wis mod.

greatn

First Post
My PCs were being annoying with their new at-will powers.

"I'm gonna keep ray of frosting the grass as we walk around town"

"Wh... Why?"

"Because I can!"

Eventually the guards came after him when he ray of frosted his beer mug to make it cooler, expanding the beer with a freeze and breaking the glass, and then offering to use scorching burst to thaw it out. The barkeep had enough.

But on topic, yes, they could use encounter powers like that.

Kaffis

First Post
greatn said:
My PCs were being annoying with their new at-will powers.

"I'm gonna keep ray of frosting the grass as we walk around town"

"Wh... Why?"

"Because I can!"

My gnome rogue's player was threatening to "deft strike the darkness" in order to keep up with the party with the bonus 2 movement. I pointed out that he'd get more movement by double moving, but was amused.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Don't see why not, it's still using up thier healing surges for the day.

In 3.5, between-combat healing eventually became trivial via low-level wands. Outside of the preasure of combat, there's bound to be some fairly efficient ways to heal in 4e, too. If there's a per-encounter power or at-will power that heals (however little) without using a surge, it'd be more 'efficient,' for instance. And, knowing game designers (who are always strapped for 'unique' ideas to meet thier suplement-a-month schedules), one'll show up eventually...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads