• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Once per round"

GIBraag

First Post
Hello,

What exactly does "once per round" mean?

Is it:

A) Once per combat round.

or

B) Once between your current turn and your next.

For example: round 1 of combat. A monster acts before the rogue. It runs past him, granting combat advantage and provoking an OA. Can the rogue use his sneak attack?

Xzylvador

First Post
Sure he can.
The real question should be: can the rogue sneak attack again when his initiative comes up. So, does "once per round" reset "at the beginning of your turn"?

ZetaStriker

First Post
A round is the top of the initiative order to the bottom of it. Once the creature with the lowest initiative has ended its turn, the round ends, and these sort of abilities will renew.

Oompa

First Post
GIBraag said:
Hello,

What exactly does "once per round" mean?

Is it:

A) Once per combat round.

or

B) Once between your current turn and your next.

For example: round 1 of combat. A monster acts before the rogue. It runs past him, granting combat advantage and provoking an OA. Can the rogue use his sneak attack?

Well if you have five people in initiative, if all five acted the next round starts..

So once per round means between the highest initiative and the lowest.

The rogue can make the OA and then act again on his own turn.

Oompa

First Post
I would say that he cant do that..

If sneak attack is once per round, then sneak attack on an OA is possible, but not on his own turn, because doing that it becomes twice per round, not once.

NMcCoy

Explorer
There's already another thread on this exact topic... here.

I personally think the only sensible way to do it is that you start with a new round at the start of your turn. Otherwise, the answer to your question is "yes" if the rogue is at the bottom of the initiative list and "no" if he's at the top (or in general it depends on where he and the monster are relative to each other initiative-wise) which seems like a really awkward way of handling things.
If the official answer is different, my first houserule will be "each round" starts at the start of your turn.

GIBraag

First Post
NMcCoy said:
There's already another thread on this exact topic... here.

I personally think the only sensible way to do it is that you start with a new round at the start of your turn. Otherwise, the answer to your question is "yes" if the rogue is at the bottom of the initiative list and "no" if he's at the top (or in general it depends on where he and the monster are relative to each other initiative-wise) which seems like a really awkward way of handling things.
If the official answer is different, my first houserule will be "each round" starts at the start of your turn.

Thanks for the link. I think the trouble here is that 3E did it one way (once per round = once between your turns) and 4E seems to do it another way (once per round = once per combat round).

I would love to see an official answer on this one, though.

PeelSeel2

Explorer
Once per round. From the start of your initiative to the start of your next initiative. That is a round for any given individual.

Satha

Explorer
The way I see it is this, if the rogue has not used his Opportunity Attack before that enemy enters his square he can. Example time, Spoilered for size!

[sblock=Example](Initiative E1, R, E2) Rogue uses Sneak Attack in normal attack, unable to use in Opportunity Attack later.

Enemy 1: Attacks Fighter
Rogue: Flanking with Fighter sneak attacks Enemy 1
Enemy 2: Moves past the rogue through a threatened square, it takes the OA, but not sneak attack.
If the rogue receives another OA during the time (and can take it) he will not be able to use his SA until the end of the round (start of the next turn order)

(Initiative E1, R, E2) Rogue uses SA during OA since it didn't use it during the regular attack

Rogue: *Not* flanking with Fighter the rogue uses one of it's attack powers on Enemy 1
Enemy 2 Moves past the rogue through a threatened square, it takes the OA and the Rogue chooses to apply it's sneak attack damage.
If the rogue receives another OA during the time (and can take it) he will not be able to use his SA until the end of the round (start of the next turn order)

(Initiative change for purposes of example: E1, E2, R) Rogue uses SA after OA during his own attack.

Enemy 2: Moves past the rogue through a threatened square, it takes the OA and the rogue forgets to apply it's SA.
Rogue: Attacks Enemy 2 and uses it's sneak attack.
If the rogue receives another OA during the time (and can take it) he will not be able to use his SA until the end of the round (start of the next turn order)[/sblock]

Thats the way I see it at least.

Last edited:

Harr

First Post
PHB page 268 said:
Once per Round: You can take only one immediate action per round, either an immediate interrupt or an immediate reaction. If you haven’t taken an immediate action since the end of your last turn, you can take one when a trigger allows you to.

Thus once per round = between the end of your last turn and the end of your next turn.

I think it's also evident in that onround durations are generally described as "until the end of your next turn."

Remove ads