• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) One D&D Expert Classes Playtest Document Is Live

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats. https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/one-dnd

55F9D570-197E-46FC-A63F-9A10796DB17D.jpeg

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats.

Sacrosanct

Legend
You know, crazy thought, I wonder how all these changes are gonna screw with 3PP and their current usage of the "current" 5E rules and paradigms.
Well, I'm dealing with this now. As I'm sure other 3PP publishers are doing. Evaluating the changes and trying our best to predict what the result will be, all while trying to adhere to the OGL and/or SRD. That's the big kicker right there. If it's not part of the SRD, we can't use it. So if WoTC wanted to, they could limit things kinda like they did when 4e came out. I've seen scuttlebutt going around about how they will use a 5.5 SRD only for use on DM's Guild. I'll guess we'll wait and see.

The only real positive is that they say 5.5 will be backwards compatible, so we can still create stuff using the existing 5e srd.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
In the five different groups I've played with, all of them enforced the rule. I think your assumptions are false based on my experience, and you think mine are false based on yours, so I am guessing this is something WOTC knows better than either of us.

It's a lot more comforting to believe, "WotC ignores the fan base" rather than "my preferences aren't in the majority."

By my reading, the extra attack is being made with the Light weapon property, not the Attack action, and therefore does not allow you to draw a weapon before or after making it.
If you use your one item interaction to draw your off-hand weapon, then draw your main weapon with your Attack action for free, it might work out?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Dual-Wielder looks utterly terrible, yeah. It lost the +1 AC in the transition, while feats like War Caster just got the +1 stat smacked on top of it.

Dual throwing axes need this feat to draw both of them..? So a niche fighting style has a feat tax.
Anything you like, or did you just join the same day the first playtest was released (cooincidence??) to complain about how awful everything is?

This is what I'm coming to realize. It isn't a new edition despite the new name; Wizards seems to want to have its cake and eat it too. And they are deathly afraid of making any substantive changes lest they kill the golden goose.

Just my 2 cents of course.
Well, they have specifically said it is NOT a new edition so it shouldn’t be a surprise

By my reading, the extra attack is being made with the Light weapon property, not the Attack action, and therefore does not allow you to draw a weapon before or after making it.
"When you take the Attack Action on your turn and attack with a Light weapon in one hand, you can make one extra attack as part of the same Action."

It seems like both attacks fall under the same Attack Action from that line.

Remove ads

Remove ads