D&D (2024) One D&D Expert Classes Playtest Document Is Live

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats. https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/one-dnd

55F9D570-197E-46FC-A63F-9A10796DB17D.jpeg

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats.

G

Guest 7031328

Love the proposed Exhaustion changes. It's simple and you won't need to reference some table somewhere, and it's gradual enough in the penalties that you might actually see real use at the game table.

I'm not sure I'm sold on Bardic Inspiration now needing to be given in reaction rather than handed out for the target player to decide, but I seem to be in the minority on that opinion at least from other online spaces I've been looking at.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Ritual caster sucks, it's kind of pointless if any source of a spell knowledge allows you to cast the spell as a ritual. There are needs to be more ritual spells,like Magnificent Mansion should go back to being a ritual like it was in the D&D next playtest.
It's quite potent now. You gain two 1st-level ritual spells from any list, they're always prepared, you can cast them with any slots you have, and once per day you can cast one ritual spell you have prepped (not just the two from this feat) at the regular casting time. That's kinda nuts.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Love the proposed Exhaustion changes. It's simple and you won't need to reference some table somewhere, and it's gradual enough in the penalties that you might actually see real use at the game table.

Overall I like the Exhaustion changes, but I wonder if the Zerker is also going to change. I've never minded that penalty, because when I play a zerker I almost always save Frenzy for the climactic boss fight. On the few occasions where I've felt it was needed earlier...or mis-judged last fight of the day...the disadvantage on ability checks was manageable. And I never once used it 3 times in one day.

So now I'm not sure which I would rather (not) have: disadvantage on ability checks, or -1 to everything. On the other hand, -2 to everything is probably better than disadvantage on ability checks AND attack rolls. So maybe I'd push my luck even more.

But we'll have to see the new zerker. Maybe there will be an escalating save (sort of like Relentless Endurance).

overgeeked

B/X Known World
People actually use 3PP? I figured the way people tend to talk around here, 3PP are all completely unbalanced and untested crap that they don't have time to sift through, and instead just wait for WotC to eventually create the rules they want to use. ;)
I avoid 3PP stuff like the plague. I don't assume it's unbalanced and untested crap. Rather, if I'm going to use unofficial content, I want it to be my unbalanced and untested crap rather than someone else's.

G

Guest 7031328

Overall I like the Exhaustion changes, but I wonder if the Zerker is also going to change. I've never minded that penalty, because when I play a zerker I almost always save Frenzy for the climactic boss fight. On the few occasions where I've felt it was needed earlier...or mis-judged last fight of the day...the disadvantage on ability checks was manageable. And I never once used it 3 times in one day.

So now I'm not sure which I would rather (not) have: disadvantage on ability checks, or -1 to everything. On the other hand, -2 to everything is probably better than disadvantage on ability checks AND attack rolls. So maybe I'd push my luck even more.

But we'll have to see the new zerker. Maybe there will be an escalating save (sort of like Relentless Endurance).

I wouldn't be surprised if the redesigned Berserker had something similar to what the 1D&D ranger has, where they can recover an exhaustion level on short rests, but we'll have to wait and see, yeah.

Remove ads

Remove ads