D&D (2024) One D&D Expert Classes Playtest Document Is Live

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats. https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/one-dnd

55F9D570-197E-46FC-A63F-9A10796DB17D.jpeg

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats.

OB1

Jedi Master
Funnily enough, I'd already though about giving it a try. The exhaustion rules are a clear winner out of this UA, for me at least.
Same here, I'm thinking of trying all of the following with the new rules

Drop to 0 HP - 1 Level of Exhaustion
Fail a death saving throw - 2 Levels of Exhaustion
Critically Hit - 1 Level of Exhaustion (instead of double damage dice)
Gain Advantage on a d20 Test - 1 Level of Exhaustion (applied after the check)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
A correction: 4e rangers could focus on ranged attacks, but many of their build were melee, and the melee ranger sported the best damage output in the game out of all PC options.
Also, late in 4e they got some mystical power options, but yes, 95% of what they had available was purely martial.
You miss the most important part.

The 4e ranger wasn't that especially great at wilderness exploration. It didn't have rituals and other classes has higher Wisdom or Dexterity. The 4e ranger is a fighter in 5e.

Olrox17

Hero
You miss the most important part.

The 4e ranger wasn't that especially great at wilderness exploration. It didn't have rituals and other classes has higher Wisdom or Dexterity. The 4e ranger is a fighter in 5e.
Well, not really. The 4e ranger starts with 5 trained skills, compared to the 3 skills the fighter gets. Its skill list is also noticeably larger. Also, 4e archer rangers are Dex/Wis, which is pretty much a perfect scout. The melee ranger is either Str/Wis or Str/Dex, indeed worse than the ranged one at scouting duties, but still serviceable.

Same here, I'm thinking of trying all of the following with the new rules

Drop to 0 HP - 1 Level of Exhaustion
Fail a death saving throw - 2 Levels of Exhaustion
Critically Hit - 1 Level of Exhaustion (instead of double damage dice)
Gain Advantage on a d20 Test - 1 Level of Exhaustion (applied after the check)
I like it except for the Critically Hit one. That seems extra brutal for melee folks who already take more attacks from enemies than their ranged companions.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well, not really. The 4e ranger starts with 5 trained skills, compared to the 3 skills the fighter gets. Its skill list is also noticeably larger. Also, 4e archer rangers are Dex/Wis, which is pretty much a perfect scout. The melee ranger is either Str/Wis or Str/Dex, indeed worse than the ranged one at scouting duties, but still serviceable.
The 4e ranger can't heal nor talk to animals and a cleric or druid had better Wis skill checks.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Aragorn, as the king, had Lay on Hands. Anybody wanna explain that? :p
And telepathy. And maybe one or two other things.

As for the explanation, he had both elven and maia(angel) blood running through his veins. His abilities were due to his Dunedain/Numenorean heritage, not his profession.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads