D&D General One Piece of Art V (Places)- What Piece of D&D Art Inspired You to Love a Place

Stephen Fabian’s interior art of the glass skimmers of Taladas. The cover of the Taladas box was dreadfully boring. But Fabian really set the tone for Taladas and this piece of art did its job. So much of Taladas could have used better art, like the gnome citadels of the lava sea, Hithekel.

But a whole sea of actual smooth obsidian glass, and a society that sales on it! I’m in!
View attachment 258301

Are you talking about this cover?

time of dragon.jpg

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
It's a bit obscure relative to most of the others here, but there's an image that got burned into my mind well before I knew that it was specifically connected to other things I like (specifically, it's a remnant of the fallen dragonborn empire of Arkhosia.) It's the intro image for the adventure Remains of the Empire, where an over-zealous dragonborn fanboi of Arkhosia has gone off the deep end and begun worshipping Zehir (deity of poison, darkness, snakes, and secrecy) in a mad effort to revive the fallen empire.

And it has a floating fortress.

8AkQchr.jpg

I am a huge, huge sucker for floating islands.

pukunui

Legend
FZp9dnCWAAc5_VY.png

Artist: Michael Komarck
Source: D&D 3.5e Player's Handbook II

This piece has stuck with me for a long time, I think in large part because it was one of the only 3.x era pieces reminiscent of the grand fantasy landscape art from 2e that had first drawn me into the worlds of D&D.

I must admit, though, that I haven’t really got any special connection with the Caves of Chaos. That said, this piece makes me want to go see what's in all those caves.

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
Sigh, ok, you've forced my hand. I will post more planescape art
View attachment 258251

NOT by Diterlizzi this time. The cover for Planes of Chaos was done Robh Ruppel. I have no idea what or where this image is supposed to be but it's big and weird and shares the color palate of The Downward Spiral (both released in 1994) and thus was perfect for me at the time.
hellboundcover.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases