D&D General One Piece of Art- What D&D Art Inspired You to Love a Class?

Dioltach

Legend
I always assumed Tanis was a ranger, until I got a copy of DL Adventures and he was statted up as a fighter. And Riverwind as a ranger. From their descriptions in the Chronicles I thought it was the other way round. (Particularly as Tanis is explicitly said to have a high wisdom.)

I always assumed Tanis was a ranger, until I got a copy of DL Adventures and he was statted up as a fighter. And Riverwind as a ranger. From their descriptions in the Chronicles I thought it was the other way round. (Particularly as Tanis is explicitly said to have a high wisdom.)
Same which is why I used him as inspiration.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Going slightly off-script here...
1661138109524.png

Source: Icewind Dale (PC video game)
Artist: Jason Manley
Class: Paladin
Technically, its a licensed D&D game, so this should still count. There's actually several dozen portraits like this made specifically for this series. Many of them done by two artists. The quality varies; some are much better (or much worse) than others. This one, however, has always been my favorite. Most characters I play in any CRPG is based on this portrait (and several others from that game).

arakasi

Explorer
I first saw this picture less than a week after the 1e Players Handbook was published. It's not like I look at on a regular basis, but it has been instantly recognizable to me for 44 years now.

And it wasn't until today that I realized that the shield is held wrong. The long axis should be near perpendicular to the arm, not parallel and the point should be pointed down, not up.

So here I am, looking at a barbed, ice, bone, and horned devil, and now all I can think is that shield looks weird.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I first saw this picture less than a week after the 1e Players Handbook was published. It's not like I look at on a regular basis, but it has been instantly recognizable to me for 44 years now.

And it wasn't until today that I realized that the shield is held wrong. The long axis should be near perpendicular to the arm, not parallel and the point should be pointed down, not up.

So here I am, looking at a barbed, ice, bone, and horned devil, and now all I can think is that shield looks weird.
Pushed aside by the fiend?

But I always noticed that too.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm not sure any picture made me love a class, but I have fond memories of many Dragon Magazine covers, and this was one near the end of where I stopped getting them. And it's a heck of a Ranger picture.

Daniel R. Horne's “Saving the Best for Last"

View attachment 259125
View attachment 259126
I guess you could say I agree 😉 Also, his remake he did of that one is pretty good too

7FB2DA7F-B65C-4BB9-A2D1-F23A868F07ED.jpeg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases