• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One-Shots or Campaigns?

lazarus1020

First Post
I usually play campaigns for the most part, but sometimes I play one shot adventures were characters from previous campaigns get to come out of retirement for one more foray.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Campaigns. Way too much work to create a new PC for each one-shot.

Additionally, my players are, I believe, pleasantly surprised that the campaign I am DMing has been going for over 1 year and they have gone from 3rd level to 12th level. Previously, they only lasted a few months and never got above 11th level or so.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Most of my tabletop gaming has been campaigns.

One-shots are nice, but I wouldn't want them as the steady diet. There's limited potential for character growth.

Greg K

Legend
I mostly play campaigns out of preference. I'm willing to participate in an occassional one-shot for either a modern day game or to test a new system, but for some reason that is the extent of my willingnes to do one shots.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I could go either way.

Personally though I think there is to much of an emphisis placed on campaign based play.
I know that if I'm running a game for a bunch of new players I use the one shot model first. It allows for error and it gives players room to learn.

I find that sometimes campaigns lead to people being too protective of thier characters and, more annoying for me, the DM's being protective of the player characters. When I read posts where DM's say things like " I couldnt kill off that PC's it would throw off the campaign" I want to just scream. I acknowledge it's a difference in playstyle but it still grates on my nerves and feels as artifical as hell.

With one-shots you dont have that problem. If they die, they die. Time to roll up another character or use another available pre-gen. Done? Okay let's play!

That said there is something to be said for playing in a long term campaign, but not a whole lot because honestly for me, the stuff that happens in a long term game is a lot cooler when it's actually happening than when I try to tell the story of what happend to someone else. Most of the time those campaign stories, unless they are recorded and made into story hours, are a serious case of the you-had-to-be-theres...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads