D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
My point was to say a class cannot assume a certain background for a character because backgrounds are a separate part of character generation. Your cleric could be a temple acolyte, but he could be a sailor, a criminal, a soldier or guild artisan and none of that changes what he is as a cleric now. The sailor cleric isn't limited to sea spells. The criminal isn't capped on what domain be can take. The fighter should not be stuck being mundane because they have to accommodate mundane origin stories. The fighter is not the farmboy or town guard class. It's the "I was a farmboy or town guard or something else, but now I'm something more" class.
Then which base class should be stuck as mundane? There needs to be a mundane class for the myriad of folks(and there are a lot of them) who like a purely mundane option.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
I'm fine with that, because the narrative is that they are learning supernatural techniques.
are they though? really? or are they just learning normal martial arts real good? and that let them do fantastical things because this is a world where fantastical things like that are just possible by normal people with good physical training, y'know, like what DnD is like.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
are they though? really? or are they just learning normal martial arts real good? and that let them do fantastical things because this is a world where fantastical things like that are just possible by normal people with good physical training, y'know, like what DnD is like.
If you cannot show in the game where it says that this is a world where fantastical things are just possible by normal people with good physical training, I have no obligation to accept that as anything other than personal preference not supported by 5e.

Seriously, why are so many people against just putting something they clearly believe in in the book?

Remove ads